We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Since upgrading to 1.5.2 it says that cron job is not setup but it is [Fixed] | Forum

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 9 '13
Since upgrading to 1.5.2 it says that cron job is not setup but it is.  I have double checked and the cron job is exactly the same as before and exactly what is called for by the help.
The Forum post is edited by Alia Apr 17 '13
Alia Team
Alia Apr 10 '13
Steve, can you send a screen shot of the page saying that Cron is not set?
Did you do manual update?
Mario Carriere
Mario Carriere Apr 10 '13
Hi,

Having the same issue...

Since updating to 1.5.2,

This is the line I'm using;

wget -q -O /dev/null http://www.mysite.com/ow_cron/run.php

where www.mysite.com is my site URL...

Thanks

Mario

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 10 '13
I did a manual update and that is the message that I see as well.

Did you see my other post about how the new restricted view feature does not work?

Is there a way to test if the cron is really not running?

Thank you,

Steve

Alia Team
Alia Apr 10 '13
Steve Winter, Mario Carriere,

Regarding notice that CRON is not set.
This notice should disappear when your CRON runs.

So you update the software, you see this notice. Your cron runs every 5 mins, so the first time CRON runs for your updated software, this notice should go away.

Let me know if you are sure that your CRON ran after update but notice is still there.
Alia Team
Alia Apr 10 '13
Steve Winter, restricted view feature is not connected to CRON. I will check the issue and will reply in your other topic.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 10 '13
The instructions say to set the cron to run once a minute.  What would stop working on the oxwall if the cron was not running?

Thank you.

Alia Team
Alia Apr 10 '13
>>> What would stop working on the oxwall if the cron was not running?

"Online Members" section. Let's assume that you have set your Cron to run every minute.

Log in as userB in another one>>go to "Members" section. You should see userA as "online".
Just close the browser where userA was loged in without loging out.
Wait for 30 mins .
As userB after  check whether userA is still showing as "online".

Mario Carriere
Hi Aliia,

The notice is still there...

I did the automatic update.

I did the user test... After 2 minutes, if I refresh the member page, user A does not show online anymore... My cron job is set each minute. Was working fine before update.

Thanks,

Mario
The Forum post is edited by Mario Carriere Apr 10 '13
Alia Team
Alia Apr 10 '13
Mario, sorry I gave wrong testing instructions. You should not log out, just close the browser and wait for 30 mins.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 10 '13
Quote from Aliia
Just close the browser where userA was loged in without loging out.
Wait for 30 mins .
As userB after  check whether userA is still showing as "online".

I have obeyed and the other user is no longer showing as online.  I assume this means that the cron job is running properly?

If it can't be fixed would it be possible to change the message from 

"You still need to setup the cron job. Learn more"  to something like "You are really a great person and everyone loves you"?

Regards,

Steve

Michael Anderson
Michael Anderson Apr 10 '13
I'm getting the same thing,  everything that is using cron is correct, but the indicator is wrong.  It is running, and I can see the database entries in mytop, so it certainly an issue with the indicator, which means it's a false alarm I guess.
Arifur Rahman
Arifur Rahman Apr 10 '13
Same issue..

here is a screen shot of my page

Attachments:
  Admin-pannel-error-message.jpg (85.15Kb)
Mario Carriere
Hi Aliia,

I did the test again, after 2 hours, the user was still showing online but after a page refresh, (F5), the user was offline. So CRON seem to run...

Thanks,

Mario
MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Apr 10 '13
Mario Carriere I have noticed alot of Web Hosting  Company's  have been upgrading Cpanel, and PHP. I had to change my CRON up a little I was using the same as you. Now With the upgrade to Oxwall and my HOST I changed it to this.

curl http://wwwMySite/ow_cron/run.php

Now I'm not sure what Hosting you use but gave it a try.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 10 '13
Someone please share a clue.  What is the difference between wget and curl and why might I prefer one over another?

Again it would appear that the cron is running but somehow the new Oxwall doesn't realize that it is, right?

MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Apr 10 '13
Steve Winter I try to explain but it'll be a mouth full.

What both do

both are command line tools that can download contents from FTP, HTTP and HTTPS

both can send HTTP POST requests

both support HTTP cookies

both are designed to work without user interaction, like from within scripts

both are fully open source and free software

both projects were started in the 90s

curl

Features and is powered by libcurl - a cross-platform library with a stable API that can be used by each and everyone. This difference is major since it creates a completely different attitude on how to do things internally. It is also slightly harder to make a library than a "mere" command line tool.

Pipes. curl is more in the traditional unix-style, it sends more stuff to stdout, and reads more from stdin in a "everything is a pipe" manner.

Single shot. curl is basically made to do single-shot transfers of data. It transfers just the URLs that the user specifies, and does not contain any recursive downloading logic nor any sort of HTML parser.

More protocols. curl supports FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, SCP, SFTP, TFTP, TELNET, DICT, LDAP, LDAPS, FILE, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, RTMP and RTSP. Wget supports HTTP, HTTPS and FTP.

More portable. curl builds and runs on lots of more platforms than wget. For example: OS/400, TPF and other more "exotic" platforms that aren't straight-forward unix clones.

More SSL libraries and SSL support. curl can be built with one out of nine(9!) different SSL/TLS libraries, and it offers more control and wider support for protocol details

curl (or rather libcurl) supports more HTTP authentication methods, and especially when you try over HTTP proxies: Basic, Digest, NTLM and Negotiate

libcurl supports lots of various SOCKS protocol versions for proxy access, wget supports none

Bidirectional. curl offers upload and sending capabilities. Wget only offers plain HTTP POST support.

HTTP multipart/form-data sending, which allows users to do HTTP "upload" and in general emulate browsers and do HTTP automation to a wider extent

curl supports gzip and inflate Content-Encoding and does automatic decompression

curl offers and performs decompression of Transfer-Encoded HTTP, wget doesn't

curl supports metalink as of curl 7.27.0, wget has support for it coming in a Google Summer of Code project

Much more developer activity. While this can be debated, I consider three metrics here: mailing list activity, source code commit frequency and release frequency. Anyone following these two projects can see that the curl project has a lot higher pace in all these areas, and it has indeed been so for many years.

Wget

Wget is command line only. There's no lib or anything.

Recursive! Wget's major strong side compared to curl is its ability to download recursively, or even just download everything that is referred to from a remote resource, be it a HTML page or a FTP directory listing.

Older. Wget has traces back to 1995, while curl can be tracked back no earlier than 1997.

GPL. Wget is 100% GPL v3. curl is MIT licensed.

GNU. Wget is part of the GNU project and all copyrights are assigned to FSF. The curl project is entirely stand-alone and independent with no organization parenting at all - with almost all copyrights owned by Daniel.

Wget requires no extra options to simply download a remote URL to a local file, while curl requires -o or -O. However trivial, this fact is often mentioned to me when people explain why they prefer downloading with wget.

Wget supports only GnuTLS or OpenSSL for SSL/TLS support

Wget supports only Basic auth as the only auth type over HTTP proxy

Wget has no SOCKS support

Additional Stuff

Some have argued that I should compare uploading capabilities with wput, but that's a separate tool and I don't include that in this comparison.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 10 '13
Still one must wonder whether there is even a problem with cron or just something in Oxwall causing it to be sad and think that it has no cron.

I hope they get a fix.  I cannot even fathom what it would be like to have something every minute of every day tormenting.

MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Apr 10 '13
Steve Winter I understand have you tried curl http://wwwMySite/ow_cron/run.php  ????  Did the trick for me.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 10 '13
Quote from MarkieMark67 Steve Winter I understand have you tried curl http://wwwMySite/ow_cron/run.php  ????  Did the trick for me.

Did that.  Still getting the message: 
You still need to setup the cron job. Learn more
Pages: 1 2 3 »