We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Password reset Link NOT CLICKABLE in users' email | Forum

Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jun 25 '13
This Morning I decided to test the password rest function, and I realized that the two links are not clickable (neither of them) in users' email inbox.

Is that how it works for everybody or just me? How do I make the links clickable in users' email?
Thanks
dave Leader
dave Jun 25 '13

not sure, but they are not clickabe for me either, i just tell my members to copy and paste them. 

Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jun 25 '13
then probably something must be done about it. i am dealing with users some of whom have little knowledge about simple computer tricks. Sometimes copying and pasting are hard form them. Being clickable will help a lot.
dave Leader
dave Jun 25 '13

I hear you, those must be the same people that always win the australian lottery lol.. :)

Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jun 25 '13
yea, maybe
dave Leader
dave Jun 25 '13

in your language there are two verisons of that email, one is html the other is text, i think the ones they get now are text so it will not be clickabe.  I think in order to use the html version you need to set up smtp and set that option in your settings area.  It is an educated guess but i think that might work because in SMTP you can set both html and text. 

Try that and let us know please.

Also remember that even though you send the users a html email, if they have their email client set so they will only except text emails then it still will not be clickable.  Again another reason to teach them to copy and paste. :)

Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jun 25 '13
Dave,
Setting the smtp has always been a problem. The system confirms that smtp is set up and runnning, no emails go out. It blocks all mail notifications. So I always leave it un-set.
dave Leader
dave Jun 25 '13
you might check with your host or dig into why SMTP is not working for you.   I never used SMTP with Oxwall but set i up first time today and i just sent out some mass mail and i worked perfect, i got the emails.   I have not tested to see if that link is clickable now but i will probably do that tomorrow.
The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 26 '13
ross Team
ross Jun 25 '13
Kumi, Dave, 

I've just tried to reset the password on my test Oxwall website, and those two links work just fine. Please, go the Language section of your Admin Panel, type the word 'reset' and find these values: {text key='base+reset_password_mail_template_content_txt'} {text key='base+reset_password_mail_template_content_html'} Make sure that the translation message looks like this: 

Dear {$username},

You requested to reset your password. Follow this link ({$resetUrl}) to change your password.

If the link doesn't work, please enter the code manually here ({$requestUrl}). Code: {$code}

If you didn't request password reset, please ignore this email.

Thank you,

{$site_name}

The Forum post is edited by ross Jun 25 '13
dave Leader
dave Jun 26 '13

here is my txt key version

Dear {$username},

You requested to reset your password. Follow this link ({$resetUrl}) to change your password.

If the link doesn't work, please enter the code manually here ({$requestUrl}). Code: {$code}

Thank you,
{$site_name}

and the html version

Dear {$username},
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
Thank you,
{$site_name}<br />

looks to be same as yours.. ross is your test site set up on SMTP and do you have it set to html, just curious?

dave Leader
dave Jun 26 '13
and i just tested and it is still unclickable for me as well
ross Team
ross Jun 26 '13
I use Cron and the external mail uses html
ross Team
ross Jun 26 '13
What mail services do you use, guys?
dave Leader
dave Jun 26 '13

im using EverDesk which i think is the problem..  Good catch ross...:)  i didnt think to look at the server side horde message.   it is clickable there.. so yep its my 3rd party client..

what i did was i put extra text in the lang to see which one i was getting the txt version or the html version and this is what i got..

Dear xxxx,

This is the txt version of the lang key

You requested to reset your password. Follow this link (xxxxxxxxxxx) to change your password.

If the link doesn't work, please enter the code manually here (xxxxxxxxxx). Code: xxxxxx

Thank you,
xxxxxxxxx

so i am receiving the txt version but nice catch ross, yep ill look at my client to see whats up.. :)

and (ps)  im not knocking everdesk, its a fantastic client plus it does so much more than just email, i love it, i just have to find the setting for this just like any software.

ross Team
ross Jun 26 '13
Ok Dave, let see what Kumi is going to say. 
Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jun 26 '13
Ross,
I think the reset key is the same as what you gave up there. I think the text is what goes out. If we can make html the default, maybe it will work. Or maybe the email client? Is there anyone who has theirs clickable?
ross Team
ross Jun 26 '13
Kumi, 

I think you have the same issue as Dave. Please check the settings of you external mail client and set it to the HTML. Even though all up-to-date mail services have HTML by default. 

O_o
O_o Jul 1 '13
same issue here not clickable links tried yesterday
ross Team
ross Jul 1 '13
Axl, 

Please check the settings of your external mail client, it should be set to HTML

dave Leader
dave Jul 2 '13

+1 ross

Also it might be more specific than that, it might be the client as well as the actual account inside the client also.  Some of my hotmail accounts in my mail client all the emails from the site are clickable, even this one. Where as the same email on some of the domain accounts are not, but they are clickable on the server side.

So it looks like the email routing may also have a play in this.

Pages: 1 2 »