We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Objective-C Native iPhone app | Forum

Thomas
Thomas Sep 19 '13
Hi,

I just started an effort to build a native iOS application that connects to a Oxwall powered site in order to access the mailbox. 

If you are interested please visit the projects site.

Contributions would be nice. Fork the repo, do your magic and send me a pull request.

The Forum post is edited by Thomas Sep 20 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Good work. I like the look.
Thomas
Thomas Sep 25 '13

Hi there,

I would like to give you a little update on my iOS project. I hope you find this project interesting and would like to contribute. Either by contributing to the development of the code or by donating some $$$. ;-) Anyway, all comments, feedback and suggestions are welcome.

GitHub repository: https://github.com/tochman/OxwallMessenger

Daisy Team
Daisy Oct 1 '13
Topic was moved from Custom Code Modifications.
Emil Team
Emil Oct 1 '13
Hi Thomas,

Nice work here! As far as I know, this is the first effort to build something Oxwall-related for iOS. Keep up the good work, we need qualified developers for this project to succeed.

Thanks,

Emil

ustc
ustc Oct 1 '13
That's to say the mobile solution in 1.6 will not supply IOS or Andriod app?
Thomas
Thomas Oct 1 '13

Some comments about mobile applications and Oxwall 1.6. 

I do not know what strategy the team behind Oxwall have for the future of the platform in terms of mobile devices, but I do not think we will see that there will be native applications for iOS, Android and Windows platform there that nobody uses.

That does not mean there will not be a very good support for mobile devices in the next release of Oxwall. As most people know, there are an incredible number of opportunities to create a great user experience with HTML5, CSS, and the countless javascript framework available on the market.

I see my little addition to Oxwall, in the form of Oxwall Messenger for iOS, as a way to improve the functionality of my own site and let my users get more opportunities to be able to reach each other. That's what social networking is all about, right?

For those interested, I attach a link that explains Native Apps vs. Responsive Web Applications - with pros and cons.

http://mashable.com/2013/08/06/responsive-vs-native-app/

Stay cool,

/Thomas

The Forum post is edited by Thomas Oct 1 '13
Thomas
Thomas Oct 1 '13
@Emil - Thx for your kind words. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I hope to have a working beta version that is ready to distribute next week. 
Thomas
Thomas Oct 1 '13
Some small updates in the UI and flow.

ustc
ustc Oct 1 '13
@Thomas, i just have an idea, if your app,could show all members of the site, and could comunicate with friends instantly, it will be great! Just like the app wechat line...
Emil Team
Emil Oct 2 '13
Just to clarify: Oxwall 1.6 will have mobile browser version built-in, first supporting several critical native plugins, and then others coming later.

At this point we do not plan to develop mobile apps for iOS, Android, or any other platforms, and we encourage 3rd party efforts in this field. Thomas is doing the right thing, and we hope more developers will collaborate on this project and/or start their own ones.

Thanks,

Emil

KreativMind
KreativMind Oct 2 '13
Great work Thomas! Definitely nice indeed to have developers contributing. I myself and working to learn the code fast enough to where I can possibly contribute as well. I am more a designer than a developer but getting better everyday. Once again, great work.
Thomas
Thomas Oct 2 '13
@Monroe - We could use a good designer in this project. I'm not an expert on UI so there is room for a nice graphical touch up. ;-) Are you working on a Mac? If you do you could install Xcode and work with the project files.
Thomas
Thomas Oct 2 '13
@ustc - good point. Perhaps it does not suite everybody but I can implement that. It is exactly the way I was planning to use it with my own site.
ustc
ustc Oct 2 '13
Advise to sticky this topic, I believe Thomas could give us a surprise!
Romuald
Romuald Oct 2 '13

Hello,

very very good work, but could someone tell me how to configure and how to put it online please.

cordially

KreativMind
KreativMind Oct 3 '13
Sent you a message Thomas.
Thomas
Thomas Oct 3 '13
@Monroe - Great. Welcome to the team! 

@Romuald - At this point you can only run the app locally in the iOS simulator if you have Xcode installed on your Mac. You also need a account on my site (see my profile). This is during the development process only. When the app is done you'll gonna have to install the webservice files on your server, modify the apps code with your site URL and deploy the app to Apples AppStore. Don't be alarmed! There will be clear instructions for the entire process available in the projects wiki on GitHub. ;-)

The Forum post is edited by Thomas Oct 3 '13
Romuald
Romuald Oct 3 '13
thank you thomas
Den Team
Den Oct 3 '13
Topic was moved from General Chat.
Pages: 1 2 3 »