We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

What do you think about Oxwall 1.6? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Donamix
Donamix Jan 11 '14
My Mobile Version is not opening correctly!

Anyone knows why? i updated my theme to last version

Nexus theme for oxwall software. Version compatibility 1.6

John
John Jan 11 '14

Quote from Donamix My Mobile Version is not opening correctly!

I know why, because the Mobile version is disastruos, nothing was improved over 1.5.3 version and now we are presented with a disatruos Mobile version that no one can use.

I can not use my iPhone to edit comment or post on my oxwall website.

I loved 1.5.3 version but I am really dissapointed by 1.6 version.

OK, oxwall is a free software, we can not complain but I prefer to pay some money for a fully functional website.

How is the 1.6 version a milestone?  I can not understand this affirmation.  For what we have waited so long? 6 months for what? 1.6 version seems to be in Alpha phase not even in Beta.

Hey oxwall developers, my advice is to charge some money for your product, hire a few good coders and give to the people a good working software.

Mike Odeh
Mike Odeh Jan 11 '14
WHAT I THINK OF 1.6,
The oxwall Team is to be commended for the initiative to give something to the community that will help us to be more competitive in a world where internet is going Mobile!
But for the standards that oxwall Team has set prior to 1.6 the oxwall community does not expect less! For me, 1.6 for now is below my expectations of the quality service that I know Oxwall for! My website was better with 1.5.3!
To the Team, I trust you will use our concerns as a positive energy to give the best we have known you to be! My dream is that in 3 months from now, we all shall be celebrating you guys like we have prior to 1.6
Do not despair oxwall community, I know the best is yet to come! Lets support the Team, they are able!
Donamix
Donamix Jan 11 '14
Quote from John
Quote from Donamix My Mobile Version is not opening correctly!

I know why, because the Mobile version is disastruos, nothing was improved over 1.5.3 version and now we are presented with a disatruos Mobile version that no one can use.

I can not use my iPhone to edit comment or post on my oxwall website.

I loved 1.5.3 version but I am really dissapointed by 1.6 version.

OK, oxwall is a free software, we can not complain but I prefer to pay some money for a fully functional website.

How is the 1.6 version a milestone?  I can not understand this affirmation.  For what we have waited so long? 6 months for what? 1.6 version seems to be in Alpha phase not even in Beta.

Hey oxwall developers, my advice is to charge some money for your product, hire a few good coders and give to the people a good working software.

You are totally wrong! it was from my side! 

sSomething went wrong with my themer update it's fine now.

Oxwall new version is great, nice job with the mobile version

It's just missing Groups / Mailbox / Forum / Join-Register  

I hope these will be added soon.

Pete
Pete Jan 11 '14

Come on Jake you and Paul can be the first to build a plugin for this mobile ,what about mobile for your chat ?

tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 11 '14
Quote from Steve Winter !

yes if you upgrade to 1.6 the only thing your users can do is look at photos and a very cut down version of newsfeed 
Joseph
Joseph Jan 11 '14
they can choose desktop version which you can rename to say something like "old version" where they can do all of that stuff
tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 11 '14
99% of people wont even bother to click the link they will just leave and never come back
Joseph
Joseph Jan 11 '14
I made mine into a mobile app and you can rename the link to say sign up etc but you are right most wont bother but that wont stop people begging for mobile
Sammy
Sammy Jan 11 '14
My former boss will always say 'think outside the box' 1.6 is not a bad idea. It is just missing some vital things of which with time it will be fixed. Let remember that 1.6 is a mobile platform and it is new n many ideas will be needed to make it a better one.
On ox wall home page. It is stated that their software is powered with themes and plugins. That means people can develop mobile plugins and themes that fit in. Joesph just gave me a sweet idea that I will add to my site and that is. I will edit d desktop version to sign up/desktop version. It means sign up for new member and use the desktop version for old members. We are different people with different choices. Some people to only see the news feed and some updates of their fees rather than everybody news feeds and updates on their walls. The other vital things that are missing such as forum, group, dashboard, e.t.c makes it difficult for people to appreciate ox wall work. It is an avenue for developer to make money and to show who can be up to the challenge.
I added a new page and I added a trial version. Of a chatroom HTML code to test the mobile chatroom and it is working average good on many browsers on my android phone. I am currently making a research on what is RSS and it importance on my mobile site then I can now ask people of what best information or news the need. Maybe I can use news RSS feed or Sport RSS feed or entertainment RSS feed or evening have three different RSS important pages that will give my members busy.
Just thinking outside the box together can make ox wall d best social networking site in the world.
Remember 1.5.1 is totally made up of plugins. Check your plugin board and see how many plugins we have there all working together for good. I was thinking how was the first ox wall like before the 1.4.x or 1.5.1 that we are enjoying.
I appreciate people that will bring ideas so that we can all make this 1.6 work. My biggest challenge now is that I can not purchase any ox wall plugins or themes because PayPal do not accept payment from my country. So I will need serious help from a developer will accept credit card .
Thanks everybody
Sammy
Joseph
Joseph Jan 11 '14
for some of us Elgg is not an option at a bit over 11 thousand users so we stay hopeful
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jan 12 '14

After many tests, much to install, uninstall and try different combinations came to the conclusion that AGREES NOT INSTALL version 1.6. There are plugins that are toxic and cause failure many loose things around the system.

Finally I managed to install 1.6 and I've gotten it to work properly with many plugins. It is exactly like the 1.53 and adds nothing new except the access from mobile that is useless and absurdly poor.

True, it is a good basis for future developments but if you are not a developer better not install anything that is not completely developed and tested.

I lost several days of many hours of trouble and dislikes. By the way I also lost all the photo comments, profiles, events ... A disaster as big as mine site. Better not update anything, learn from me: "IF IT WORKS, DO NOT UPGRADE NOTHING".

read_it
read_it Jan 12 '14
Quote from Steve Winter
Quote from Joseph I made mine into a mobile app and you can rename the link to say sign up etc but you are right most wont bother but that wont stop people begging for mobile

Yes, but 1.6 doesn't actually have mobile.  It was all a lie.  Has anyone tried elgg?  It seems to have a lot better reputation than Oxwall even before this fiasco.

If there was a way to switch without losing all of my users/groups/info I would have already, too bad.
Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jan 12 '14
Can someone offer me the 1.5.3 script to downgrade my site? I have lost a lot of things. My site was doing great before the upgrade but now, it's very bad. Many important things have just disappeared from my site.
Austeyr
Austeyr Jan 12 '14
Quote from IB If that's the case, then why not wait until you have a product that is 100% ready??  I don't know of any producer/manufacturer that brings out a product because "the layout is amazing". Can you imagine a car producer... "Yes check out our new car!  The layout is amazing huh?" "What about the engine??? Where is it?" "Sure, at this stage we just thought the wheels would be good enough.  And did I mention the layout?" "Ok, looks, well the layout is great, when do you think the engine, steering wheel, hand brake, and seat belts will come out?" "Oh should be soon.  We have another model coming out in a few weeks with the engine, so yeah, stay tuned."  
Oxwall, please don't take this too personal, but I hope you can see the funny side of this.

Haha Even if they don't i sure did. :) Golden mate.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jan 12 '14
Quote from Kumi Festus Can someone offer me the 1.5.3 script to downgrade my site? I have lost a lot of things. My site was doing great before the upgrade but now, it's very bad. Many important things have just disappeared from my site.

The best is to restore from a backup but here it is 

http://www.oxwall.org/dl/oxwall-1.5.3.zip

Wilson
Wilson Jan 13 '14
I would stay with version 1.5.3 until they get things working! Don’t update any plugins, save all of your current plugins. This is like the Heath Care roll out! BAD NEWS!

Wilson
John Michaels
John Michaels Jan 14 '14
Got the install from softalicious , installed , got 500 internal error message.
Reloaded the backup back to 1.5 , and back to working great.
Sorry guys , 1.6 isnt anything good as far as I am concerned.
I love the Oxwall software and all that it offers but the 1.6 upgrade seems to be a disaster upgrade.
Thank god I make backups everytime I decide to try a new install on anything.

Suggestion :

have a select few install , work with and really put through the ringer of testing, any future upgrades before releasing them, cause' I can guarantee you there are alot out there who are newbies in building websiters or communities and dont make backups and they are going to really get mad when they install 1.6 and find that it doesnt work and they have to do their site all over again!
Just a suggestion .
bobbi
bobbi Jan 14 '14
a plus for my site since the update i havent had a single spammer before i was getting some each day probably speak to soon now and will get loads lol
bobbi
bobbi Jan 14 '14
yes i have had new members join, plus i also made two accounts one using fb connect and one the standard registration to test it was working as well,
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »