We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

What do you think about Oxwall 1.6? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
bobbi
bobbi Jan 14 '14
yes oxwall have upgraded i was using my phone earlier and got the mobile version instructing me to use the desktop version lol
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jan 14 '14
I just got another Error 500 Internal Server Error. when I tried to come here.

Is this site on 1.6 now?

Pete
Pete Jan 14 '14
I like your site Chris  looks good .Did you just add a link in the mobile for for ?or did you change the code.How to forum look on a mobile phone ?
Joseph
Joseph Jan 14 '14
Currently in development

• Mailbox and Chat merge + add mobile version support
  • Profile join in mobile version
  • Completely redesign Photo plugin
  • Account types improvements
  • ...any known bug fixes and some small improvements

Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jan 14 '14

Quote from Joseph Currently in development

• Mailbox and Chat merge + add mobile version support
  • Profile join in mobile version
  • Completely redesign Photo plugin
  • Account types improvements
  • ...any known bug fixes and some small improvements

Is that for the general oxwall platform?
Joseph
Joseph Jan 14 '14
yes the links in the footer of oxwall site look for roadmap
tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 14 '14
i am starting to like the new 1.6 now 
with the turn mobile off is cool until its better 
but the biggest thing is the urls and nice now and social share plugin rocks 
thanks oxwall i was very disappointed at first with 1.6 but now i can see the light at the end of the tunnel lol
Wilson
Wilson Jan 15 '14
I have successfully updated to version 1.6 without few issues. I’ve been readying a lot in the Oxwall forum and have seen all the bug reports that have been coming in. After backing up everything and testing on another folder with the same versions and 1.5.3 I successfully updated to 1.6 that has mobile version and was much needed. It is limited (“Newsfeed” post’s is all you really need anyway) but at least its working and will get better. Good job Oxwall Team

My few issues where with custom cod modifications, so make a folder with all your modified codes and its original code including 1.6 versions. Then update each one and then check after each update to see if errors accrue. I found a few and quickly fixed them.

Here is a list of platform updates from my Cpanel log:
Oxwall 1.6.0, 2014-01-08:
====================================

Platform:
- added mobile version platform, supporting following features:
- navigation
- system pages (splash screen, site maintenance, user not reviewed, passworded site access, etc.)
- user profile (sign-in, view, list)
- photos (upload, view)
- newsfeed (base, photos)
- real time activity notifications (base, comments, friends, groups, events)
- moderation options (profile deletion, suspension)
- mobile theme customization
- facebook connect
- reset password
- RTL support
- auto-login for returning visitors
- updated jquery library to version 2.0.3
- added PHP 5 support
- added theme autoupdate support
- fixed issue with sent letters not being deleted from the database during cron execution
- added site user status recognition (not approved, suspended, etc.) when they are displayed in site listings
- removed duplicated indexes in core database
- fixed issue with non-recognition of changes made to the profile questions on the join form
- removed duplicate meta tags, and added new meta tags to plugin and core pages
- added proper support of remote user IP when the software operates via Nginx and/or Cloudflare
- removed option "Column count" for profile questions, which lack multiple choice values
- fixed regexp validation for form fields like email
- fixed issue with profile registration when the site features several account types and is closed for password access
- made join form to check username for uniqueness when site access is closed for not logged-in users
- fixed issue with inability to add new menu items in the main section when it is empty
- fixed issue with failure to display video thumbnails for YouTube videos uploaded through media panel
- added check for removal of install folder after successful software installation (for security reasons)
- fixed issue with failure to add lang key, when default language is not active
- added check for module name when adding new plugin through admin area
- introduced ajax for button actions on profile view: suspend, make featured/remove from featured, block/unblock
- removed option to deactivate default language if no other languages are present on site
- fixed paging on page with user list
- fixed issue with failure to send users mail notifying them of profile approval, when approval is done from view profile page

Themes:
- new theme ‘Munchen’

Social Sharing:
- added new plugin to allow users share site content on popular social networks

Newsfeed:
- defined output formats
- fixed issue allowing one user to delete another user’s comment after liking it in newsfeed
- fixed issue allowing blocked user to leave comments on the profile which initiated the block
- fixed issue with displaying thumbnails for YouTube videos
- added support for non-standard ports
- fixed issue with inability to delete added video in status update

Forum:
- added option to search topic by username
- made forum index display forum topic list if forum contains only one section with a single sub-forum
- added separate page for forum section

Blogs:
- fixed posts sorting in archive and during tag search
- fixed fatal error on page displaying all posts of a specific user
- fixed issue allowing any user to edit any post by accessing it through direct URL
- fixed issue with displaying big photos in posts

Events:
- added lang keys for accept and ignore buttons
- fixed issue with failure to delete newsfeed entries for events removed from site
- fixed typos in code
- fixed issue with javascript processing non-latin symbols

Groups:
- fixed issue allowing any user to join private groups through direct URL
- fixed issue with javascript processing non-latin symbols
- fixed issue with failure to unsubscribe users from group newsfeed updates after leaving the group

Photos:
- added special hash to photo file names for improved security. (Fix is applied only to new photos).

Videos:
- added video thumbnail caching for improved site performance

and so like my professor told me years ago, I’ll give you a B+ because there’s always room for improvements!

Wilson
The Forum post is edited by Wilson Jan 15 '14
Joseph
Joseph Jan 15 '14
they probably could handle it but there may be reasons unknown to us why they are doing it such a way they may be adding certain new features or things that may look bad to us but in the end will work out for the best but we will see
Sammy
Sammy Jan 15 '14
It is easy for someone to say bad of some stressed and hard work. Ox wall is making ways for the future. People mentioning Facebook every now and again but they d forget Facebook do things differently to make facebook work d way it is now. Ox wall is creating a platform that is unique and when ox wall successful built this independable software for us for free. Millions will leave their former platform to migrate to ox wall and by then I will quote someone speech and ask that someone many questions. I believed in ox wall and I keep putting them in my dairy prayer. May God give them the wisdom and knowledge to delived a good and effextive working platform.
Oxwall I appreciate your good work and God will bless all your team here. We need team spirit to overcome any and evey limitations.

Thanks
Sammy
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Jan 16 '14
Quote from Steve Winter

I have been threatened with suspension by a scum named Den if I continue to post things critical to the Oxwall 1.6 fiasco.

What kind of trash are running this thing anyway??

They release a defective product and start selling paid support in the same month????

they have had a premium support service for while now 
Joseph
Joseph Jan 16 '14
they put it there because people kept overlooking it
Joseph
Joseph Jan 16 '14
and btw none of the premium support is sold from oxwall its all 3rd parties so there is no monetary gain for oxwall for that
Pete
Pete Jan 16 '14
Steve oxwall or not censuring you thy or just sick of you posting crap ,give it a rest,if you or not happy then find another script simple
TheOntop2
TheOntop2 Jan 16 '14

+1 jake

I don't see what all the fuss is about I never read that 1.6 will have all plugins and everything in mobile nor did is see this from the screenshot in their blog people just assumed that it will have these things and got there hopes up and now they see its not what they expected there seems to be a big uproar. 

Why not just wait until they make plugins integrated with mobile? 

I think they did a great job with 1.6

The Forum post is edited by TheOntop2 Jan 16 '14
Joseph
Joseph Jan 16 '14
they do that every time though the new version is always buggy and staff comes in and helps fix it 
dave Leader
dave Jan 17 '14

@regarding 1.6

The first thing that everyone needs to understand is that putting together a mobile version from scratch is a process.  Many people seem to think that just because someone does programming for a living and or codes for a popular script that they know it all.  This is not true and far from it.  There are no masters of programming or masters of technology that know it all.  The reason is that as soon as you learn something the wheels of technology keep turning and a new process is developed or a new application of a process.  By application i mean how you apply such a process to achieve an end result.  Technology is moving so fast that everyone in the industry must keep up. 

With respect to Oxwall script itself, it was written from scratch, no predefined formula templates, no php molds (as i call them).  It was all from scratch which is exactly how i write my scripts as well.  There are tons of reasons for this but i wont get into that.   So many of you say it took more than a year to get this version out.  Considering their budget and the amount of project manpower i think that is an amazing accomplishment.

Some people think that coders just sit down and crank this stuff out day after day and drink coffee and eat candybars.  Well that is not true (ok maybe the candybar part lol), remember that as much time is spent coding is also spent in planning, staging, meetings discussing the new technologies and what is the best course to also meet tomorrows standards.  Its taking the time to layout the whole structure not only in code, but on paper with flowcharts and models.  And then comes the testing stages, and sometimes having to go back to the drawing board on some items because some things did not fit as well together as envisioned. 

All of that process takes time and money. Not everyone has the deep pockets, huge budgets, and enormous staff such as some other open source scripts.   Also understand that this is a foundation to build on and that without a solid foundation any upward mobility is lost. 

The other thing you must remember is that there is no true testing in which can duplicate the public use of any script. With so many variations of application the best anyone can do is test it to the point that the final product should function for the majority.   And how many times have you seen someone come on here, including me to say im not sure what happened but its broke. Only to figure out that it was something we did that caused this. 

I know this, so i always do my very best to update my posts to say, this was my bad or its ok i messed this up.  I do this so that if others have the issue then they will know. But how many people do not update there posts, they just leave that issues unresolved for the next person to get the wrong impression and say oh hey this sucks why dont you fix this Oxwall .   I hope you can appreciate that view everyone.   

@Steve Winter

Steve I (and others) have bent over backwards over the last few months trying to overlook your attitude and try to assist you with your problems.  But i must say that many times i cannot believe how your brain even manufactures some of the bile that you spit out on this forum with no foundation of proof, no research and nothing to back up what you say.  It is pathetic at best and you are lucky that Den gave you the option to clean up your attitude.

I have noticed that almost everytime there is a huge negative wave of postings about Oxwall  or the Team or really anyone on this form, you seem to be right in the middle of it up to your neck in calling people scum whenever you please and without any cause or justification.

Remember Steve that Oxwall holds the right to refuse service to anyone with or without notice.  This is a open source script but it still has license protection. Den did you a favor by warning you.

Your very lucky that Oxwall is not my own script.  Here is what i would have done. 

First i would have never warned you, your account would be termed and your up blocked. I would have my attorney draft up a legal cease and desist order requiring you to uninstall our script and preventing you from ever installing it again.  Your site url would be blacklisted and you would fail to recieve any further updates of any kind and no support on the forum.   If you persisted i would contact your ISP and Host and notify them that you are using our script illegally and/or report you to the authorities for doing so. 

Do you think your host is going to back you if they get a legal letter, no.  They will wipe your account out just like that to prevent any possibility of bad image.

If that did not work i would  file a legal claim against you for script piracy and violation of a court orded ban.   Now some of this might work and some of this might not, but i promise it will make your internet life hell and everytime you did not show up for court, that would a  win for me.   And regardless if i ever win a single case, it will be so bad on your members from lack of support and lack of software that they would leave your site and you would be left with nothing.  So i wish Oxwall was mine because i would love to play hardball with you if that is what you want, it would be fun to watch you choke down what you seem to spew at others.
Yes i would have done all of that if this was my script, so your lucky its not. 

Oxwall Team is much more patient with your garbage accusations than i would be.  But be assured Steve that calling Den scum im sure has already been known and if they do take care of thier own then i would feel lucky if i was you to get any future support here.

Please understand Steve that you offer nothing to this support forum, no professionalism, no thought out process, no intellegent suggestion, and no experience at anything but tossing gas on a campfire any time you want and getting everyone to overreact.  At best im sure your just a hack, at worst well i think we have seen that.  If noone has told you steve, you can leave and noone will miss you here, not a single person.   So if you hate Oxwall that much why do you do that, why don't you just leave and find another script and bother them. And explain to your members why you have to put them thru hell and change scripts.  

As Den suggested, i suggest the same.  And it would even be OK to publicaly apologize to both Den and the staff of Oxwall as well as the public that you caused to panic.

The ball is in your court.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 17 '14
Pete
Pete Jan 17 '14

Dave I would ban that Steve winters he is the most ungrateful guy I have ever come across ,I am sick to the teeth of reading his crap here on oxwall.Members of the  oxwall team go out of there way to help people ,there is bugs in most software that comes out ,take windows 8 ,full of bugs.If people had backed there sites up before doing this update ,there would not be a problem .We all wish there were more things in this mobile ,but over time more things well be added to this mobile.

The Forum post is edited by Pete Jan 17 '14
Joseph
Joseph Jan 17 '14
do you guys like fighting back and forth like small children or are you all gonna suck it up and move forward?
Pete
Pete Jan 17 '14
Steve kiss my @ucking arse you piece of crap. The only person is disgusting is you Steve ,you should have backed your website up before you updated ,so stop you crap and grow up .Joe I am not like a child I am just sick to the teeth of reading this arseholes crap every time that I come on oxwall,i can understand him making one post ,but flooding the forum with all his crap is getting out of order now .I rest my case .
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »