We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Optimizing content | Forum

George
George Oct 1 '11
My site is running incredibly slow.  I spoke to someone at HostGator to see what the problem was and he told me he can't help without knowing what CMS were using.  He also told me...

"The server is going slow because of the load. This script is using most of the resources the server has available. Over 20 processes and each one using about 8% CPU.  I recommend some kind of optimization like a caching system."

I'm definitely not tech savvy but I could use any advice/help.

Thanks in advance.
George
George Oct 3 '11
Can I get some help here?
Eric
Eric Oct 3 '11
I doubt that.
I'm running the latest version of Oxwall v1.2.4 build 4230, and that runs very, very fast, precisely as the previous version I ran, v1.2.3.

What version of Oxwall are you running?
You'll find the version in the Admin Dashboard.

--Strangelove

George
George Oct 3 '11
What do you doubt?

I have the newest software and I'm on a vps level 3.  Even paid someone from oxwall to do the install.  Has never been fast and now it's just extremely slow and times out.
The Forum post is edited by George Oct 3 '11
FaceTester Leader
FaceTester Oct 3 '11
please look in your config.php in /ow_includes if the Debug/Dev/Profiler Modes are with "false" deactivated. (the last entry's in the config.php)

greets
FaceT
The Forum post is edited by FaceTester Oct 3 '11
Eric
Eric Oct 4 '11
@George: I doubt that Oxwall itself is the cause of your slow performance.
I run OW on shared webhosting and it screams.
I agree with Facetester.
Check your config files for enabled debug/development/profiling modes.
By what you describe, I get the sense that either MySQL is not configured for production mode, and/or that you lack any kind of caching in PHP.

--Strangelove

Eric
Eric Oct 4 '11
@George: edit file config.php in folder /ow_includes, and check that the following statements are all set as shown below:

define('OW_DEBUG_MODE', false);
    define('OW_DEV_MODE', false);
    define('OW_PROFILER_ENABLE', false);

Don't forget to save the file if you made changes.

--Strangelove

Den Team
Den Oct 5 '11
Also, how many users online on your site George?
George
George Oct 5 '11
I have over 1,000 members but usually online about 50
George
George Oct 5 '11
I get this error when it times out...

Message: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away
File: /home/geod12/public_html/ow_core/database.php
Line: 311 Trace:
#0 /home/geod12/public_html/ow_core/database.php(311): PDOStatement->execute()
#1 /home/geod12/public_html/ow_core/database.php(345): OW_Database->execute('SELECT * FROM o...', NULL)
#2 /home/geod12/public_html/ow_core/base_dao.php(114): OW_Database->queryForObject('SELECT * FROM o...', 'BOL_Theme')
#3 /home/geod12/public_html/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/theme_dao.php(114): OW_BaseDao->findObjectByExample(Object(OW_Example))
#4 /home/geod12/public_html/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/theme_service.php(421): BOL_ThemeDao->findByName('graphite')
#5 /home/geod12/public_html/ow_core/theme_manager.php(72): BOL_ThemeService->getThemeObjectByName('graphite')
#6 /home/geod12/public_html/ow_core/theme_manager.php(93): OW_ThemeManager->__construct()
#7 /home/geod12/public_html/ow_core/ow.php(195): OW_ThemeManager::getInstance()
#8 /home/geod12/public_html/ow_core/application.php(113): OW::getThemeManager()
#9 /home/geod12/public_html/index.php(43): OW_Application->init()
#10 {main}

Type: PDOException
The Forum post is edited by George Oct 5 '11
Eric
Eric Oct 5 '11
Did you check this post  on installing Oxwall on Hostgator??

--Strangelove
George
George Oct 5 '11
HostGator is telling me the only way to correct it is to moving to VPS level 5, which instead of $40/month would cost me almost $80/month.  I'm about to lose my mind!
Den Team
Den Oct 6 '11
50 users online is too much for shared account. Do you have Instant Chat plugin installed?
George
George Oct 6 '11
yes i do
Den Team
Den Oct 11 '11
In this case, the only way us to upgrade your hosting plan. 
Keelan Leader
Keelan Oct 14 '11
over 1000 members put some advertising on their make the users indirectly pay for the level 5 vps. Some CPA offers or adsense (adsense sucks) id recommend some CPA advertising. Find an offer related to your website advertise it with the ads plugin and you will easily be able to afford the new host.

I have hostgator, business plan shared hosting and it is fast and so far no complaints from my provider.

I also just signed up to your site to test and it seems fairly fast to me.
The Forum post is edited by Keelan Oct 14 '11
beyondherd
beyondherd Jan 26
Facing the same issue with my content on my webpage: Entrepreneurship . Let me know if you got any solution for this. Thankyou.