We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

IMPORTANT TIP for upgrading to 1.7 | Forum

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jul 10 '14
It is important to put your site in maintenance mode.

First disable/deactivate (do NOT uninstall) all plugins.

Then update the core.

Then update the theme (if applicable)

Then activate plugins ONE at a time and update them.

That gave me a trouble free, no hassle upgrade.

ross Team
ross Jul 10 '14
Steve +1
Pete
Pete Jul 10 '14
When I did my update Steve I also switched to default theme and my update was hassle free
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jul 11 '14
Roxwall had an update for my theme already there waiting.

Regards,

Steve

Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Jul 11 '14
Well the problem is Steve i have almost 40 / 50 Plugins so to disable theme 1 by 1 takes me an hour...I requested oxwall that at some stage they should have disable / deactivate all plugins at once option that would be easier :(

But i do agree, this way you can also see which plugin gives you issues.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jul 11 '14

Quote from Webster Molaudi Well the problem is Steve i have almost 40 / 50 Plugins so to disable theme 1 by 1 takes me an hour...I requested oxwall that at some stage they should have disable / deactivate all plugins at once option that would be easier :(

But i do agree, this way you can also see which plugin gives you issues.

Sounds like for you it would be even more important to do them one at a time.

Regards,

Steve

dave Leader
dave Jul 12 '14
yep +1 steve everyone can also follow this post that i did for the last version, most of it still applies, take your time.. read first, update once..   :) 

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/16238

dave Leader
dave Jul 12 '14
Although i do have a question, i just thought about this.  If all the deactivate does is change the active field in the db table from 1 to 0, then cant i run a sql to just turn them all off in the db?  

i dont mind turning them back on one at a time, because i want to look for issues. But turning them off i should be able to just do a quick sql and its done, is that correct team?

dave Leader
dave Jul 12 '14
i had a few issues here.  First seems like when i was ready to take the maint page off and ready to go after the upgrade, my js froze up and none of the buttons work, no dropdowns worked,  took me a few min of refreshing the page and going to other pages manually to get the js to kick in again.  So if your admin links and buttons dont work after upgrade just switch pages and refresh a few times it will eventually come back. 

Also my main page of the site is trash, im using macabre and all the pics are to one side and it has a plane white background almost like the theme is not even loaded, but it is loaded on other pages just not the main page.  I am checking to see if i had some kind of mod in there.   

Normally as in my other topic i did, this means that you just need to clean your cache, my cache has been cleaned within an inch of its life and also my dns cache.   Still same.   

Also i know team that you dont worry about warnings but why not take care of them while your coding the process, its so easy.  

Like this one...   unlink failed because it could not find the file  

/ow_static/themes/origin/mobile/master_pages/mobile_general.html) [function.unlink]: No such file or directoryFile:/home/xxxx/public_html/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/theme_service.php

and there are about 4 or five of those.  

all you have to do is whenever you unlink a file team put it inside a  

if file_exists(whatever)

{

unlink (whatever);

}

then all those warnings go away its so much easier to do it as your coding, your right there typing anyway so just toss it in.  It makes life easier and its better coding practice. 

origin/decorators/button.html

origin/mobile/master_pages/mobile_blank.html

origin/mobile/master_pages/mobile_html_document.html

origin/mobile/master_pages/mobile_general.html

there are the files..  and the issue is in ow_system_plugins/base/bol/theme_service.php line 343

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 12 '14
Pete
Pete Jul 12 '14
When you deactivate your plugins ,you first update the oxwall script ,so it wont effect any plugins and change nothing regarding any plugins ,it wont add no code in db for your plugins,as in plugins ,I would imagen, once you activate each plugin then your database for each plugin I should imaged well change so that the plugins conforms with your oxwall script .  I should imagen if the oxwall core files need to talk to the plugins in a dif way or run in a diff way ,then the db main core would I presume change
The Forum post is edited by Pete Jul 12 '14
Pete
Pete Jul 12 '14
I also think people or better reverting the the default theme until they have done the update ,has the oxwall themes or more stable with the oxwall core files
dave Leader
dave Jul 12 '14
if i cant figure this out by tomorrow, i have the new version downloaded, ill just reinstall, its better to do that then to chase ghosts for days... 

something else too, so many scripts now that are coming out have override processes for themes. You can take theme files and language files and stick them in override and not have to worry about losing all your stuff if you upgrade.  I do wish oxwall would consider that someday. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 12 '14
Pete
Pete Jul 12 '14

If you or having probs Dave it would be much quicker to do a fresh install and then drop your db and instead add your backup db,but don't forget before you do this I would advice you first to check for any errors in your db and them optimise it ,and then back it up .Also download your config file ,and all your members profile images ,so you can reinstall them after ,you prob know all this anyway Dave ,but sometimes in the past I have done a full install and put my back up db into the db ,but I have forgot to download the config folder ,and if you forget this ,when your members and yourself go to log in ,every one has to reset there passwords again vie email ,its a pain in the arse if you forget to download config file.

dave Leader
dave Jul 12 '14
ok pete yeah im not quite ready to jump ship yet lol...  im looking in the db now to see where the main page code is saved because i think thats the issue, because it is the same on every theme.  So im thinking i had some kind of mod the main page js customize section.  Do you know where that is stored in the db? 
Pete
Pete Jul 12 '14
I have not got a clue ,better to wait and ask one of the team members ,they well be on the forum soon . I have found a good script dave ,you wont believe whats in it ,I might download it and set it up ,I well message you with the dets so you can take alook  and you can see what it comes with ,when you take alook please let me know your views on it (Thanks) I well mes you in a min .
dave Leader
dave Jul 12 '14
ok buddy thanks, i dont want to rob steve of his thread ya know, thats not nice.  So i guess we better get back on topic here lol.. :)  thanks 
Pete
Pete Jul 12 '14
sent it you dave check your messages,i wont post no more in this thread lol
dave Leader
dave Jul 12 '14
got it :) ill take a look at it in the morning during coffee. 
Pete
Pete Jul 12 '14

Steve if you want a good script mate for free and you wont believe what it comes with message me and I well send you all dets ,my way of saying sorry for going off topic on your thread .I well rephrase that ,it looks a good script. 

dave Leader
dave Jul 12 '14
boy im soooo glad i document everything i do here on this forum, if they ever decide to archive the posts here im screwed...   i think i found my problem 

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/16584
its the mod rewrite im sure....  ill let you know in a sec. 

Pages: 1 2 »