We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to get back the old salt? | Forum

jeo
jeo Nov 16 '11
Please someone i rely need the help cause im poor at all this, what happen is that i backed up my site last mouth and had lots of problems getting it to import. But now i have got everything back i need the salt to let users login, its not letting anyone login keeps saying invalid password! So is they a way to fix this with out knowing the old salt code because i forgot it :( please help? Thanks very much if you can.
Dave
Dave Nov 16 '11
Hi jeo  why dont they use password reset  this is the red questioin mark in the login  and get users to redo password

The Forum post is edited by Dave Nov 16 '11
Michael I.
Michael I. Nov 17 '11
Dave is right - forgot password will do the job for you. But if you want to give your members an ability to use their old passwords, then you should copy salt value from your backup and add it to your new install. Check this topic for more details: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/2597
And use search before posting.
jeo
jeo Nov 17 '11
Thanks Dave & Aka_le_Mulder but one of my members have but the chat is a mess i have a job to see what people are saying & not everyone is gona reset their passwords. Will the old salt be in the backup file iv got but it want let me open the zip file! any way to just get back my old salt? thanks guys
Michael I.
Michael I. Nov 17 '11
The only way to get your old salt value is to get it from config.php file in your backup.
jeo
jeo Nov 17 '11
i tryed getting the old salt on the backup and when try to open it it comes up with this message, what do i need to do to get into the file?
Archive: backup-27-10-11.43ab9128be2ca15913ed20342e835fc6.zip End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on the last disk(s) of this archive. unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of backup-27-10-11.43ab9128be2ca15913ed20342e835fc6.zip or backup-27-10-11.43ab9128be2ca15913ed20342e835fc6.zip.zip, and cannot find backup-27-10-11.43ab9128be2ca15913ed20342e835fc6.zip.ZIP, period.
jeo
jeo Nov 18 '11
get back?
Michael I.
Michael I. Nov 18 '11
As I already said, the only way to get old salt is to get it from backup. Probably your backup file is corrupted. Anyway, that is not the Oxwall issue. Consider about contacting your hosting company about backup file issue.