We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Never ending story FTP access for updating | Forum

Heri Bender
Heri Bender Oct 30 '14

Yes, I searched the forum quite intensively. But I did not find a thread which answers the question without metnioning cpanel or "ask your provider".

I have a installed oxwall (1.6) on a virtual machine (ubuntu) on my desktop machine (win7). I am also quite experienced in dealing with a naked linux server.

The FTP service on the oxwall server (vsftpd) is up and running. It is configured to accept also local connections (local_enable=YES) and that logged in users have write access (write_enable=YES).

The apache service runs as www-data:www-data user/group. The whole oxwall installation is chown www-data:www-data. I did not change any access rights. During installation oxwall seems to succeed with creating and changing files/directores as needed.

Nevertheless when I enter my credentials into the oxwall update dialog ("Enter attributes") it complains: "Provided user doesn't have permissions to overwrite files." 

Looking at the FTP-log file I can watch that a local ftp client (from point of view of the ubuntu server) successfully connects and logs in, then some CWD commands are issued until the current directory is the root of my oxwall install directory (<oxwall>:

Thu Oct 30 21:08:07 2014 [pid 2590] [heri] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "CWD oxwall"

Thu Oct 30 21:08:07 2014 [pid 2590] [heri] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "250 Directory successfully changed."

Thu Oct 30 21:08:07 2014 [pid 2590] [heri] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "CWD"

Thu Oct 30 21:08:07 2014 [pid 2590] [heri] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "550 Failed to change directory."

Thu Oct 30 21:08:07 2014 [pid 2590] [heri] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "MKD var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test"

Thu Oct 30 21:08:07 2014 [pid 2590] [heri] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "550 Create directory operation failed."

Thu Oct 30 21:08:07 2014 [pid 2590] [heri] FAIL MKDIR: Client "127.0.0.1", "/var/www/oxwall/var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test"

Thu Oct 30 21:08:07 2014 [pid 2590] [heri] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "QUIT"

Thu Oct 30 21:08:07 2014 [pid 2590] [heri] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "221 Goodbye."

The first failing command is a CWD without parameters. Then the "MKD var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test" command is very suspicious (when not even wrong: The leading slash is missing). The FTP demon correctly complains that directory "/var/www/oxwall/var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test" cannot be created (ubuntu took the given path as relative to the actual dir). My Oxwall directory has the access rights "drwxr-xr-x 18 www-data www-data" which means that user heri - although member of group www-data - has not write permission to this folder.

Why wants Oxwall create folders through FTP if it could do this also directly? I cannot login as www-data user because this is a system user without login.

The Forum post is edited by Heri Bender Oct 30 '14
Heri Bender
Heri Bender Oct 30 '14
More insights: changed the access right ("chmod 775 oxwall") in order that also group members can write into oxwall folder. -> Same FTP error. 

Issuing the mkdir command (as user heri) on the linux command line (mkdir var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test) does neither succeed. That's is expected: One cannot create a whole non existing path in one call. 

After having created all directories manually (except the leaf "test"): Now the FTP (via oxwall site in web browser) succeeds in creating the test directory. But quits right after that:

Thu Oct 30 23:02:43 2014 [pid 3173] [heri] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "MKD var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test"Thu Oct 30 23:02:43 2014 [pid 3173] [heri] OK MKDIR: Client "127.0.0.1", "/var/www/oxwall/var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test"Thu Oct 30 23:02:43 2014 [pid 3173] [heri] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "257 "/var/www/oxwall/var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test" created"Thu Oct 30 23:02:43 2014 [pid 3173] [heri] FTP command: Client "127.0.0.1", "QUIT"Thu Oct 30 23:02:43 2014 [pid 3173] [heri] FTP response: Client "127.0.0.1", "221 Goodbye."

The page in the webbrowser is still the same: "Enter attributes" (but this time without error message). Nothing happens anymore. What should happen after oxwall has created this test directory?

Heri Bender
Heri Bender Oct 31 '14
The error comes definitively from the wrong path which is missing the leading slash.

I duped oxwall by doing following:

1. Created the folder /var/www/oxwall/var/www/oxwall/ow_core/ (without "test"). Make sure FTP-user has write-access to all this new folders.

2. Created the expected folder /var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test

3. run the update again   -> now oxwall thinks everything is fine because through ftp it could create the folder /var/www/oxwall/var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test and the (assumed) check for folder /var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test succeeded. 

Now oxwall issues a lot of FTP commands which turn out that it stores a lot of new files into /var/www/oxwall/var/www/oxwall. Then the browser page says: "Update request: Your installation is up to date", but the footer still shows Version 1.6.

I copied all new files to its correct location -> Refresh in browser only shows empty page.

Changed the owner and group of the new files to www-data:www-data -> Refresh shows database errors (no such column).

Entered myDomain/ow_updates/index.php in browser -> et voila: Update succeeded. Now footer shows version 1.71 as expected.

My question is: where does this wrong path "var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test" come from? I searched all configuration files and all DB SQL-dumps, but could not find it.

The Forum post is edited by Heri Bender Dec 28 '14
Scott
Scott Dec 15 '14

Quote from Heri Bender The error comes definitively from the wrong path which is missing the leading slash.

I duped oxwall by doing following:

1. Created the folder /var/www/oxwall/var/www/oxwall/ow_core/ (without "test")

2. Created the expected folder /var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test

3. run the update again   -> now oxwall thinks everything is fine because through ftp it could create the folder /var/www/oxwall/var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test and the (assumed) check for folder /var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test succeeded. 

Now oxwall issues a lot of FTP commands which turn out that it stores a lot of new files into /var/www/oxwall/var/www/oxwall. Then the browser page says: "Update request: Your installation is up to date", but the footer still shows Version 1.6.

I copied all new files to its correct location -> Refresh in browser only shows empty page.

Changed the owner and group of the new files to www-data:www-data -> Refresh shows database errors (no such column).

Entered myDomain/ow_updates/index.php in browser -> et voila: Update succeeded. Now footer shows version 1.71 as expected.

My question is: where does this wrong path "var/www/oxwall/ow_core/test" come from? I searched all configuration files and all DB SQL-dumps, but could not find it.

YOU ARE THE MAAAAAAAAN! I was a little bit unclear with your description of the solution, but I totally know what you're saying now. I've had this issue since 2013 when I started using this. Here's my description:

my site directory looks like this: /var/www/siteDomain/public_html/

So:

Create: /var/www/siteDomain/public_html/var/www/siteDomain/public_html/ow_core/
Create: /var/www/siteDomain/public_html/ow_core/test/

Chmod 775
Chown www-data:www-data

change permissions to reflect your  server's instructions.
Heri Bender
Heri Bender Dec 18 '14
Thanks Scott.

This shows me, that I am not the only one having the problem of the missing leading slash. I first thought maybe I made an error when setting up the linux server (specially the FTP deamon). Is the site you referring running on a productive linux system set up by professionnels? Or is it a "home made" test system like mine? Maybe we made the same mistake?

And: Hey, oxwall people! Nobody out there who can give an answer to the question, where the wrong path (no leading slash) comes from???

Roman
Roman Dec 21 '14

Hi,
Hi,
Please could someone help in this issue?
I can't connect in admin to update plugins.
I get always the same error (error_cant_connect_to_host).

With my FTP application it works fine.
I could not find the right answer here in this forum, I tried all different answers I found here.

Best regards
Roman

ross Team
ross Dec 22 '14
Guys, in 1.7.2 version we changed the FTP connect functional for updating. 

Now you can know exactly what is wrong. Permissions, access details, port, etc. 

E-casting - what do you have as a host while connecting via admin panel. What do you insert as a host while connections via Filezilla

The Forum post is edited by ross Dec 22 '14
Roman
Roman Dec 23 '14

Dear ross,

thank you for your answer.

I use the same crediantials as in Filezilla. Does not work for me with oxwall 1.7.2.
I created a new ftp user, uploaded again all file with this user. Update still does not work. (I do/did it now manualy)
At the moment it is a test installation and it is under a subdomain.
With Filezilla everything works fine under this subdomain.
Why the script cant connect to host? When Filezilla has no problem with the host name?

Regards
Roman

ross Team
ross Dec 23 '14
What do you indicate as a host in the admin panel?
Roman
Roman Dec 23 '14

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean.

If I try to update plugins, it is asking me for host, user name and password.

If I put in the information, it doesn't matter subdomain or domain only it does not work.

In Filezilla works both.

ross Team
ross Dec 25 '14
Roman, when you indicated your FTP access details in the admin panel while updating what do you put there for host? 

and what do you indicate for host while connecting to your server via FTP (Filezilla)?

Roman
Roman Dec 26 '14

Hi Ross,

I used the same settings/credentials.

I send you a PM.

Regards

Roman

The Forum post is edited by Roman Dec 26 '14
ross Team
ross Dec 26 '14
try just localhost as a host
Roman
Roman Dec 26 '14

Doesn't work.

ross Team
ross Dec 26 '14
PM me your FTP credentials and admin details for the website, please
ben
ben Dec 27 '14
ross i also had this problem, in cpanel everything is ok but im using webmin now and i cant delete plugins nor update oxwall from admin page while other software work fine.

i think oxwall should cleaning when we uninstall plugins so we can delete the file, as i understand if we delete plugins must be done from admin page
ross Team
ross Jan 5 '15
Ben, can you PM me your admin and FTP access details please
Dick
Dick Jan 5 '15
Hello,

Ross, can I please get in the queue to have my inability to update plugins via the admin FTP interface investigated as well? I would be happy to PM my admin and FTP access details to you.

Please see my previous forum post for details:
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/29711

Thank you in advance for your reply and assistance.
ben
ben Jan 11 '15
pm send
ross Team
ross Jan 11 '15
Thanks, I'll pass it to our developers
Pages: 1 2 »