We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Admin over-ride | Forum

Vince
Vince Dec 29 '11
I've been trying to set up my site so people are restricted from some things but not others.

The biggest problem I'm facing is that the Admin can't do anything outside of the Admin area.

Example:

Free Members can't upload videos or create blogs, that sort of thing.

As an Admin, I'd like to be able to do things without having to log into my user account (upgraded) to do things like upload videos, start a blog entry and so on. As an Admin, all I get is a message saying "You can't view this page due to limited permissions"

Is there something I'm missing?

One would think that as the Administrator, you can do anything you need to without having to grant yourself permissions and then remove them after you've completed your task.

It makes no sense to me :/

As far as I've known, pretty much any other script allows an admin to make changes or do things that a regular or upgraded member would be able to do without having to log in with a user name.

Something to consider when working on the development side of things. While I have your attention, is it possible to work on allowing this script to be installed on a secure server using https://www

I've had to resort to using the unsecured domain extension to access my site without redirect loop errors. I've already tried the adjustment to the config file and yes, it works for the footer links, but if you try to log in or log out or various other things, you get an error message saying that you are in a loop that will never end. Then I'm forced to have to try other options to get the site to display. I've had to change the https back to http in the config file and I'm not liking it.

I just wasted money purchasing a SSL Certificate due to an oversight on the development side of this script and I guess I should have looked into it before making the purchase, but this script is the only one that won't allow me to use a secure server extension.

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not dissing your script or any of the people that have spent long hours developing it. I just wish you guys would go that one step further to make sure this kind of stuff is in the works.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to seeing some improvements.
Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 4 '12
As for the Admin report - are you familiar with the User Roles feature? That is the best and the only way to let yourself do everything as site admin while all the rest are not allowed to do things you don't want them to.

Regarding the SSL - I would ask you to set up SSL for your website and send me your site Admin access and FTP access, too. PM me the details and I'll forward it to our developers to check into the issue.
Vince
Vince Jan 9 '12
I'm familiar with the user roles, but when I'm signed in as Admin and go to the front end to do anything, it seems like I'm just classed as a "Free Member" rather than Admin.

As an example, I just signed into the site with my Admin account and went to post a blog but I got the message "You can't view this page due to limited permissions" which is a permission that a "Free Member" should be denied.

In theory I should be able to go to the front end of the site at any time as the Admin and be able to do whatever it is that I need to do without getting the "You can't do that" message.

While I'm here, I want to apologize for coming across as a butt-head. For the record, I didn't waste money purchasing the SSL. My frustration was directed the wrong way. In fact, this really isn't a pressing issue at the moment because the site is just in the process of being set up and I guess it was my ego that was getting the best of me.

Every other site that I've set up on the same domain works fine with SSL except Oxwall. As an Open Source script this is by far the best social script I've come across, which is why I'm anxious to get everything to function properly.
Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 12 '12
Consider about posting a suggestion at oxwall.uservoice.com to make site Admin the most powerful site member if our current features cannot give you this.