We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Bug Report: Mobile Incompatibility | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
James Geddes
James Geddes May 11 '15
Hi guys & gals,

Further to my recent discussion about mobile compatibility, I have run Oxwall.org through the Google mobile friendly test. It failed - Google gave the following reasons

- Text too small to read

- Links too close together

- Mobile viewport not set

- Content wider than screen

Not only will this affect oxwall.org but also all oxwall based sites. Those using the mobile "version" are not safe. Since it is an entirely distinct entity, only the pages that have been added to it are deemed mobile friendly. The majority of your content will not be available in the mobile version, so users will have to be directed to the desktop version. Those pages will receive the same judgement from Google as above and it will consequently ignore the site.

Besides, making someone hunt for incompatible content is just poor customer service.

While I have posted on uservoice already, native cross device compatibility is far more critical to the survival of oxwall than any of the other ideas currently up there. Google are pretty much ignoring sites that it feels are not mobile friendly and I don't want oxwall.org, or any of the sites that run its software, to lose out.

If the Oxwall team does not make it easy for people to adopt oxwall, it will die. Great progress has been made over the last few years and oxwall is otherwise fantastic (excluding the htaccess problem). I just don't want to see that all go to waste.

At Geek.Zone, we worked around the problem by paying $30 to use the Exodus Black Edition theme. All well and good, but as above, Oxwall must be natively cross platform compatible if it is to survive.

By the way, I must say that I find it interesting that the Oxwall team have turned off their own mobile version on oxwall.org - why is that?

The Forum post is edited by James Geddes May 13 '15
ross Team
ross May 11 '15
Topic was moved from Bug reports and troubleshooting.
James Geddes
James Geddes May 13 '15
This is a bug report. Please move it back to the bug reports category.
The Forum post is edited by James Geddes May 13 '15
Taissa Team
Taissa May 14 '15
James Geddes, why do you think this is a bug ?
As you may know the most popular Social and Dating platforms like FaceBook, Match.com, EHarmony and Google Plus itself do not have responsive design but are using Mobile Browser Version instead. Basing on such great examples and our own experience, we refused from responsive design as it is and gave priority to the Mobile Version development.

Concerning the new Google mobile friendly policy, there are two possible options :
- use the mobile version;
- obtain one of the responsive themes available in the Store and use it instead of using the mobile version.

Answering your question about the mobile version for oxwall.org site, I can say that obviously the Oxwall mobile version still lacks a few important features, for example the Forum plugin. But as known oxwall.org mainly uses the Store and the Forum plugins, that is why presently the mobile version has been temporarily disabled for our site.
 But our developer team keep working on that front and do their best to fulfil our members demands and needs. Be sure new functionalities will be added in the upcoming releases. We will announce our upcoming plans in our blog, please follow the link: http://blog.oxwall.org/ .
The Forum post is edited by Taissa May 14 '15
James Geddes
James Geddes May 21 '15
As mentioned, all modern sites allow access to all content whether one is on a mobile device or on a desktop device. Oxwall does not do this, so it's a bug. The fact that Oxwall keeps ignoring and deleting comments and suggestions does not make me want to help and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Taissa Team
Taissa May 22 '15
James Geddes, the fact that we use the mobile version it is not a bug it is just our stance on this matter. As I said earlier we refused from responsive design as it is and gave priority to the Mobile Version development.

So, presently you may disable/enable the site mobile version in Admin Area> Mobile> Settings section.
Or you may use a responsive theme from the Store.

Be sure we really want to be effective and assist you in the best way but we need the particular information what the exactly problem you have with the displaying the oxwall sites on the mobile devices.
And in fact it is not possible to delete by team the user comments without any reason. Please give us more information about the case with deleting comments and we will investigate it.
Yolanda Brazell
Yolanda Brazell Jun 17 '22
Nowadays various mobile applications are available online and these are just perfect for work. I have found the essay helper application information quite trusted and would like to suggest others to grab the downloadable stuff online keep posting more.
Jimmy Benjamin
Jimmy Benjamin Jun 17 '22

Excellent information you have shared, thanks for taking the time to share with us such a great article. I really appreciate your work. ! trap the cat