We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

website & server transfer advice | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Richard Carr
Richard Carr Mar 22 '12
Hello

I am currently wanting to change server providers from justhost to someone else that will transfer my full website, mysql etc...Have been looking at pacifichost...Anybody use these or have any other suggestions?
Michael I.
Michael I. Mar 23 '12
Check our recommended hosting list: http://www.oxwall.org/hosting
Michael Leader
Michael Mar 23 '12
I used justhost and found for a small oxwall it was fine but they WILL drop you quick if you exceed resource usage!

If you take backups of your homedir and dbs then they can be transferred pretty painlessly.  I don't know of a host that will do it for you.
Michael Leader
Michael Mar 24 '12
My own personal opinions are...
Using an auto install script service doesn't save you that much time.
Oxwall is very easy to set up.  It will teach you the running of the site which will be of benefit when performing maintenance or repairs!
It takes about 5 mins to manually install oxwall.  The longest part will be the import of your old site data.

A good idea would be to try a home server application and practice there (or practice in a development folder on your host)

It will also come in handy when you go to update.  You get in the way of doing it in development first.

I can certainly help you Richard moving your site if you so wish.
(I can either do it for you or talk you through it step by step)  Free!
Joseph
Joseph Mar 24 '12
I agree and I have noticed the auto installer is not always perfect it has been buggy in the past and some may not notice bugs till later so the best way is a fresh install and then use data export as Codewhacker suggested but if all else fails a lot of peopel on here offer these services at reasonable prices