We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

The good and the bad about oxwall | Forum

Sean
Sean Jul 20 '15
Here are my thoughts about oxwall Platform..

every once in a while  i test various cms ..as to find the best solution for different project.

Lets start with the good about Oxwall

-Oxwall has many plugins 

-Very easy to use

-it has good amount of plugins that comes out of the box

The bad thing about oxwall and the biggest issue

-oxwall runs slow ...even out of the box install is slow 

-adding plugins makes it run even slower.

-that makes it not wanting to work with this platform or moving to other cms

so definitely this is something to look into .I would wish that there is some kind of optimization done so that the platform out of the box runs fast and smooth

If you have any comments do post below 

The Forum post is edited by Sean Jul 20 '15
matt
matt Jul 21 '15
Have you seen this plugin?

http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/547

Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 21 '15
Oxwall software itself isn't slow to run.  Once you start adding more and more plugins though, it has the possibility of running slower - but the original core and original plugins do not.

I will add, one of the main issues that it could be running slow for you is because of your hosting provider and/or package you currently have with them.  Some hosting providers limit their users to a certain amount of resources - this is especially the case if you are on a "shared" hosting plan.  Your best bet would be to upgrade your server and add additional resources as needed to keep your oxwall site running smoothly.

As your community grows, so will the content build-up on your server - so easily said, once you see a large flux in members and member usage on your site, add additional resources to keep your site running smoothly.  This is the case for any, if not all, social network websites.

Just my two cents.  I've never had an issue with performance from oxwall - sure some plugins tend to not work as they say it should, but for the most part, the devs fix it fairly quick.  And if not, just be patient - some plugin developers have a ton of different plugins on here and they have a period where they try to improve each plugin one-by-one in a specific order they may have...All in all, most get updated quick once a new version of the core software comes out, and for those that don't - well....be careful.  It may mean that dev no longer is working on it.

bobbi
bobbi Jul 23 '15
Quote from undefined undefined

see the unique way this guys spams the link letter a takes you to a tiffany lamp site lol
JB TECH
JB TECH Jan 8 '18

Quote from Sean Here are my thoughts about oxwall Platform..

every once in a while  i test various cms ..as to find the best solution for different project.

Lets start with the good about Oxwall

-Oxwall has many plugins 

-Very easy to use

-it has good amount of plugins that comes out of the box

The bad thing about oxwall and the biggest issue

-oxwall runs slow ...even out of the box install is slow 

-adding plugins makes it run even slower.

-that makes it not wanting to work with this platform or moving to other cms

so definitely this is something to look into .I would wish that there is some kind of optimization done so that the platform out of the box runs fast and smooth

If you have any comments do post below 

Also spam and the vanished dev team lol. But honestly, Oxwall's core is written in a very strict and clean format advised by most php programmers and teams to make an application run fast. If you do a core install with all defaults, it'll run pretty good even on sub-par server setups. I think the reason a lot of people see Oxwall as "slow" is because most of the user base is running such a big application on shared servers (even if you're using a vps service) which means a lot more data besides your Oxwall install is sharing the same house, essentially.

If you had your own couple of servers setup, I'd say some good specs with modern NOS' installed, and all you had was your Oxwall copy and maybe some other management programs, then it would be blazing fast.

Speed of online applications is always dependent on two things: user's connection and server's connection. Even the fastest of modern servers can reply slow to someone with a satellite setup, and vice versa.
dave Leader
dave Jan 9 '18
The origional core of oxwall was and still is a great idea and is pretty solid.  The issues are the things outside the core.   Its just sad that somehow along the way it took a wrong turn and no one corrected the coarse.
The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 9 '18
Onur
Onur Feb 26 '18
about good something for oxwall have a lot of plugins. and about bad oxwall not seo friendly.