We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

notifications question - OF Counter | Forum

JoshWho
JoshWho Feb 15 '16
sweet. I just updated it.  How to test it? Im not sure if it works i messaged my self from another account on my phone and i have my site closed on my browser nothing popped up

JoshWho
JoshWho Feb 15 '16
never mind i refreshed and it asked if i wanted to allow notifications i said yes and now i see them.   Great work. Thank you.
Sean
Sean Feb 15 '16
Phew, thought something had gone wrong then ha-ha.
JoshWho
JoshWho Feb 15 '16
will chrome mobile be added some time? facebook already has it
Sean
Sean Feb 15 '16
Facebook uses subscription notifications to send to chrome, this is a different type of notification and would require you to have a third party online subscription or a service running on your localhost. 

For now to make it as universal as possible only browsers that support non subscription notifications are supported. I believe chrome though are working on this, so it should be supported soon. 

Once notifications are more popular and adopted better by all browsers I will be adding in support for both types. 

JoshWho
JoshWho Feb 15 '16
sounds good to me
Sean
Sean Feb 15 '16
Yeah as notifications are not fully supported yet I hope people understand and bear with me. I'm adding the support for as much as I can, but they've not even finished the specification for it yet and it's changing all the time so I can only do so much at the min to get support for as many people as possible. 
JoshWho
JoshWho Feb 15 '16
so far i think this is a good start. I will look more into the subscription service because this might just be better improved version to work with all browsers in the future. If there was a way to host your own subscription feed then translate to a notification through your app.  Might be a work around for the future.
Sean
Sean Feb 15 '16
Google have a push service you can set up in developer tools for free, but you only get a certain number of push messages and then you have to start paying. I will be adding that in as it's the easiest option for people, but for now I just want to see how the spec and adoption pans out. I will maybe add that in a few months time. 
JoshWho
JoshWho Feb 15 '16
another thing to add is make the notification clickable so it takes them to where the notification came from.
Sean
Sean Feb 15 '16
Yeah I realised I missed that out earlier. I'll be making a small update by the end of the week to add that in and also have the option to play a sound. 
JoshWho
JoshWho Feb 15 '16
that would be awesome
Anitaku
Anitaku Feb 15 '16
Mate, you are a legend. Buying this now.. 

Sean
Sean Feb 15 '16
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 16 '16
awesome you got me thanks 
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 16 '16
what is the correct size for this image

The image used for the notification, if nothing is set then the default browser image will be used

Sean
Sean Feb 16 '16
Hi tammy. It doesn't really matter as the browser will resize it, but it should be square in dimensions. 

I'll be adding an update later this week to show a preview image and to also add sound. 

tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 16 '16
i would at least try to get to the right size 

also why is setting page a main site page and not a adminpage

TAB NOTIFICATION SETTINGS
Sean
Sean Feb 16 '16
If you want to try and get the size right it should be around 250x250 pixels. 

Not sure about the page, it's not a major issue as it can still only be accessed by admins but I'll address that in the update. 

The Forum post is edited by Sean Feb 16 '16
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 16 '16
yes i did try access it by a normal user and can not
but it should not be a front end page 
tomorrow il have time and try fix for you 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »
You do not have permission to reply this topic