We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Help! FTP error message when trying to upload the game package! | Forum

Kerry
Kerry Jun 19 '12
I get this message no matter what I try!
"Invalid FTP attributes! Provided user doesn't have permissions to overwrite files."

I'm sure this is something easy, and I'm just over thinking it as usual I'm new to this, please help, my site is useless without games!
Purusothaman Ramanujam
You are not just alone Kerry. Many of us here including me get this error whatever I try. Not sure whats the actual reason is and have not got any useful answer from the Oxwall Team.
Kerry
Kerry Jun 20 '12
Lovely! I'm building a teen social network completely useless without games! I've been trying to use my hosts FTP file transfer instead and move the folder manually and it moves, but then it doesn't show up as a option in the admin plugins on the site.....grrrrr so frustrated! About to abort oxwall all together and start over with a different builder.
ankit
ankit Jun 20 '12
hey kerry i have to do this. Please tell me the steps to do this and i have to go where to do these thing enable OW_DEBUG
mode in ow_includes/
config.php file and check for
the initial error.
Kerry
Kerry Jun 20 '12
OK guys I got it figured out! If they would give you a better link to this it would help first off http://docs.oxwall.org/install:plugin
Second I ended up having to do the manual file moving on my host site. WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU IS! You have to unzip the file first and move it out of your downloads file to your documents file...THEN it showed up in my admin plugins panel.
I use fastdomain and on your cPanel you go to unlimited FTP to do the manual transfer after you have un-zipped and moved the file.
I hope this helps everyone! Good luck loves!
ankit
ankit Jun 20 '12
hey karry can u solve my issue
Michael I.
Michael I. Jun 21 '12
Kerry, did you look through manual with proper attention? Doesn't this step tells you to unzip the archive and move it to your server:

2. Unpack the archive and upload extracted files to ow_plugins folder on your server.

?

Ankit, try manual plugin installation. You can find instructions here: http://docs.oxwall.org/install:plugin

Erol Haagenrud
Erol Haagenrud Jun 22 '12

Quote from Kerry I get this message no matter what I try!
"Invalid FTP attributes! Provided user doesn't have permissions to overwrite files."

I'm sure this is something easy, and I'm just over thinking it as usual I'm new to this, please help, my site is useless without games!
I had this problem as well, and found a solution, but I do believe it might only work for a very few of us... -But maybe it can guide people in the right direction?

On a self-hosted server, I run ISPConfig 3.
When setting up the FTP-client for my site (in ISPConfig), it automatically sets the directory where my FTP-user has read/write-access to
/var/www/clients/client4/web/
or something simular.

However, when you create a domain in ISPConfig this
../clients/client4/ etc
gets symlinked by ISPConf from this directory address to a more userfriendly directoryname, like
/var/www/example.com/public_html.

(Meaning both
/var/www/clients/client4/web/

and
/var/www/example.com/public_html
points to the same directory on the webserver.)

So the solution for me was to log in to ISPConfig, edit my FTP-user, and change the directory-path from the existing (and actually correct) one, to the symlinked userfriendly one.

Why it is like this I don't know, and Oxwall is so far the only webapplication I've experienced this with.
The Forum post is edited by Erol Haagenrud Jun 22 '12
Jimmy
Jimmy Oct 24 '14
Hello last few days without touching anything impossible to do updates on Oxwall Error Message Invalid FTP attributes! Provided User does not-have permissions to overwrite files. could help me? Please Thank you to all Jimmy
ross Team
ross Oct 24 '14
Check whether this FTP user can edit files via FileZilla?
ross Team
Jimmy
Jimmy Oct 24 '14
Filezilla since I am the only one who can get to it.
ross Team
ross Oct 24 '14
Check whether this FTP user can edit files via FileZilla?
Jimmy
Jimmy Oct 24 '14
I found out why I had this error: The Quta my FTP was exceeded
Thanks Ross
ross Team
ross Nov 12 '14
If you have 1.7 or 1.7.1 only, please replace ow_utility/ftp.php file with the one in the attachment. 
The Forum post is edited by ross Nov 12 '14
Attachments:
  ftp.php.zip (3Kb)
inside83
inside83 Mar 3 '15
@ross

This does not work.

I am using nginx and have ISPConfig 3.

ross Team
ross Mar 3 '15
In this case you need to use correct details, the ones which has the rights to edit the files. 
inside83
inside83 Mar 4 '15
User can edit the files via FileZilla but I think the problem is with ISPConfig's directory structure.

Full path to my oxwall ow_utilities is "/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/ow_utilities" not "/var/www/example.com/public_html/ow_utilities".

Is there a way to overcome this?

The Forum post is edited by inside83 Mar 4 '15
ross Team
ross Mar 4 '15
Yes, this can be the issue. Please check these links: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/12297

https://docs.oxwall.org/faq:how-to-add-new-ftp-account-to-update-add-plugins-and-themes?s[]=ftp&s[]=user

inside83
inside83 Mar 6 '15
@ross

Thank you, that worked great!

For anyone else using ISPConfig 3, I just added "/web" in Directory field on Options tab of FTP user settings.

It was "/var/www/clients/client1/web4" by default and I changed it to "/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web".

Pages: 1 2 »