We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Allow user to edit posts and comments? | Forum

Melissa Anthony
Melissa Anthony May 16 '16
Hi everyone, 

I was hoping there was a plug-in that would allow users to edit their posts and comments, but I'm not able to find one and searching the forums has not helped. 
Has someone made a plug-in that can do this? Or can someone please make one? 
I've never written a plug-in for Oxwall so I don't know how to go about writing a plug-in that can do it. If someone can tell me what I need to do, I'll create a plug-in and make it free in the Oxwall store. 
I really think Oxwall needs to include this functionality as it's really inconvenient for the user to have to delete and re-write their post if they want to change it. 

dave Leader
dave May 17 '16
Hi, 

How are you at html and PHP ?  Have you ever done a plugin for any software?

Melissa Anthony
Melissa Anthony May 22 '16
Hi Dave! Thanks for the reply! I'm a bit rusty, but I have years of experience with both html and php. I haven't made a plugin for software before, so this would be a first for me. I noticed there's a skeleton plugin I can download so I figure I could start from there. 
dave Leader
dave May 22 '16
The skeleton is very very basic and even outdated in some ways, but yes it is still a good start.  Also take a look at the crash course here  

https://wiki.oxwall.com/dev:crash-course

i find the hardest thing about a plugin now that i have done many is adding the lang keys, well not hard just boring and tedious lol   If you understand alittle about classes you will catch on fast. 

Good luck with your plugin, if you need a tester ill be happy to try it out :) 

Also if you have questions along the way please ask :)

The Forum post is edited by dave May 22 '16
Melissa Anthony
Melissa Anthony May 22 '16
Cool, thank you so much for your help and to volunteer to test it! :) 

And yes I understand a bit about classes. This should be fun! =^.^=

dave Leader
dave May 22 '16
You are welcome to use any of my free plugins as a example if you like :)
dave Leader
dave May 22 '16
Also, when i first started doing plugins i fell in with many that did not use the dao files properly as it moving all your queries there.  So i am trying to catch up now and when i do update i try to fix that as much as i can.  

However barring that, if you want a good example of a widget plugin look at my free magic ball plugin. It was my first widget based ever and its simple and even corny but it was my first one, it will help you im sure.   

dave Leader
dave May 22 '16
Hope you will stick around and do more plugins, we could really use a honest, good natured, good character, female plugin developer.  I don't think we have had very many females in that pool so sure would be nice to add you to the mix when and if you are able to do so.  :)
B Elizabeth
B Elizabeth Jun 25 '16
Hey Melissa, are you still working on this plugin?
Steve
Steve Aug 8 '16
Okay here is one that works the only draw back is it does not work in groups and while editing it inserts the "br/" inside the "<>" brackets which is a php line break so you have to go back and delete it before clicking done and it costs $20 but other than that it is not to bad.

Here is the link:

https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1286

Theo
Theo Mar 21 '17
Shouldn't this be part of core? all cms or social networks systems i've worked with has this functionality out of the box without needing an add-on. 

Anyway, that issue about printing out "br/", is an easy fix. The developer could fix that in less than a minute.