We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Amazon S3 image headers | Forum

dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
Correct thats what i want to test on my end 
Tecca
Tecca May 25 '16
Awesome, thanks for the helping hand.
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
I changed over to FF, went to forum post and right click view image and it opens up in browser.  That is how it should work, i wonder why its not working that way for you.  For you unless you modify the image meta it goes to download instead, is that correct. 
Tecca
Tecca May 25 '16

Quote from dave I changed over to FF, went to forum post and right click view image and it opens up in browser.  That is how it should work, i wonder why its not working that way for you.  For you unless you modify the image meta it goes to download instead, is that correct. 

Are you uploading to your local server or to S3? It works fine when uploaded locally, but gives the problem when uploading to Amazon. I haven't touched the meta data until I decided to try figuring out what the problem was, it downloads by default and I can "fix" it manually through my AWS console.
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
i am uploading to my apache server to my domain. Oh i see i dont use amazon S3 although i have heard alot about it i never played with it before.  

Is that a public offering can i test S3 as a normal user?

dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
Ok i get it, its a cloud storage deal, got it 
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
signing up now to test ;)
Tecca
Tecca May 25 '16
I believe S3 has a 1-year free tier, but you'd need to enter payment details (they don't charge unless you go over certain limits, but it'd take a good 20k+ visits per month to your site before it'd start costing a few cents).

-- Ah, just saw your posts. Above is useful for anyone else that's interested in cloud storage.
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
ok so im in the console now just have to figure out how to upload here 
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
ok got a bucket made im almost there man 
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
ok uploaded image to s3, went to forum uploaded image via s3 url and did the view image and still opened in browser. 
Tecca
Tecca May 25 '16

Quote from dave ok uploaded image to s3, went to forum uploaded image via s3 url and did the view image and still opened in browser. 
Did you upload the image directly into S3, or from the forum's uploading system to S3?
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
no i uploaded the image from my computer directly to S3 and then when i added the image to the forum i just used the upload url option and put the S3 url in there 
Tecca
Tecca May 25 '16
Ah, gotcha. The problem comes when you're uploading to the forum, as if it's uploading to your local server. This is where the meta data problem comes, because the upload happens from your server to Amazon's storage.

This snip into the config.php file allows us to upload images directly from our site into S3: https://wiki.oxwall.com/install:cloud_hosting:amazons3
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
sorry dude i got everything else im trying to figure out my bucket url lol 
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
ok so now what do i do, go back to forum 
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
Ok it keeps tell me access denied, i am starting to lose my patience with this deal lol. I have no clue why anyone would go thru this, just get the free storage from google or msn and done.  
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
Ross do you have any input into this since you probably have a S3 already set up 
dave Leader
dave May 25 '16
Sorry brian i closed it, it was too confusing to deal with, what a huge pain the tail S3 is. 
Tecca
Tecca May 25 '16
Haha, it's a bit of a hassle to figure out at first, you'd need to create an IAM user, bucket policies, etc. The reason I use it is to have S3 distribute the images via Cloudfront, so the images are at edge locations and everything loads faster for people in different countries, without taking away SSD space and bandwidth from my server.
Pages: « 1 2 3 »