We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Can I see other people's sites? | Forum

Rose
Rose Jul 23 '16
I'd like to look at what other people have come up with. Is that allowed here?

This is one me and a friend is working on, tell me what you think.  (It's low key with plug ins)

diversesocial dot com
Rose
Rose Jul 23 '16
the plugins cost money...  Is there anything else you wish to contribute other than heckling?
Rose
Rose Jul 23 '16

Quote from Franz If you donate to diversity social, more will features will be added to the site! - See more at:

How and why did you hide the link ? LOL ;) OH Haha ... we needs donations ... lol ;))

btw.... not a good and trustful start ...

speaking of not off to a good and trustful start...

I am new to oxwall and debating on whether to stick with it (there does seem to be people that don't keep such sites open long) or choose another instead.  I could be rude and decide to just get free plugins from shady sites but I'd rather actually pay for them and if that means the community donates to help with that...then what's your problem?

One of the reasons why I am asking to see other websites is because after further digging, I am sensing that oxwall doesn't really have it fully together and your post is demonstrating just that.  Also, why did you post my full link and disrespect the fact that I posted dot com instead?

The link that you describe of as "hidden" is actually that way over a plug in.  Since you're so smart, which plug in could possibly do that?  ;)  NO GOOGLING.... what could it possibly be?

The Forum post is edited by Rose Jul 23 '16
dave Leader
dave Jul 23 '16
Franz behave yourself, you have been around here long enough that you know better!  I dont expect to see you heckling users in the future ok !  

Rose my sincere apologies, i am usually all over the boards but i am currently working on a project and so i have been away..   Yes i am a volunteer but i take it seriously.  

First allow me to kindly welcome you to oxwall.  Yes some people can be quite rude and we do our best to keep that under check.  Some people just may not realize how others see their comments, again i apologize. 

May we start again please, how may i help you today?

Rose
Rose Jul 23 '16
I just wanted to see other users websites to see the possibilities and to see if people are happy with oxwall.

So far, I think it's a pretty good platform but I'm worried that if you add too many plug ins, would it bog the system down?
dave Leader
dave Jul 23 '16
That really depends on alot of variables, including types of plugins, volume of traffic, system its running on, and many other factors.. 

However you wont find a better starter script. Im here because i have tried the others.  I came here years ago and i have never left.  Oxwall has gone thru adjustments just like any other script and yes you will see people come and people go, and even people come back gain. 

Oxwall is designed to be run with plugins so its not a script that has been modified to do so, it was build from the ground up to work that way so you can feel comfortable with that.  

Also yes if you plan to have a six figure membership then yes you will need to adjust the script according along the journey.  But again you wont find a better script to start that journey with. 

I hope that helps, hopefully some of the regulars will chime in here as well.   What you will find is that some users exploit this kind of topic as a reason to complain about everything, but then again you will find many many die hard oxwallers that have been with us for many years and still love it today, there are both extremes here but that is pretty common for most open source projects. 

Hope that helps.. 

dave :)

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 23 '16
Tecca
Tecca Jul 23 '16
Oxwall is great. Despite thinking of moving away from it for the one site I use it on, I decided to stick with it. It may have some flaws, which I won't get into here, but it has a lot of upsides to it. It'll end up being fairly costly if you want a ton of features that aren't already in the core, but a lot of the plugins are worth the cost. And a lot aren't.

As for seeing another Oxwall site, here's mine: https://www.beardprofile.com/

Right now, it has 56 plugins active, most I believe are paid. As Dave said, it depends on a number of factors when it comes to slowing the site, but it shouldn't be much of a problem so long as the plugins are properly coded.

It's in the same sense of some sites running WordPress that have over 100 plugins operate flawlessly, while another WordPress installation running 15 plugins could potentially be slower.

The great thing about websites, Oxwall or not, is that if you know how to properly monetize them, they pay for themselves. While I did spend a large chunk on my Oxwall site, it's already starting to earn more than what I had initially invested into it; the site is only about 6 months old. It takes time and patience, but in the end pays off if you're passionate about your site.

Oxwall is somewhat on the slower side when it comes to churning out updates for the software, but it's still very much alive. With Github now being more prominent, it seems like it's able to get more help from third-party devs as well, which is great.
Rose
Rose Jul 23 '16
Thanks Bryan.  Checked out your site.  Looks smooth and functional. 
dave Leader
dave Jul 23 '16
+1 Bryan thanks so much for sharing :)
dave Leader
dave Jul 24 '16
btw... The only thing I complain ( regarding the oxwall script ) is the bad SEO. The websites won't be found by Google and other search engines.
The SEO with oxwall is not perfect (it will be improved in the upcoming update) but this quoted statement is a very strong statement and untrue. Every one of my sites has been found by google and had pages on google search engine.  There are obviously many different techniques to improve the search results, however i never really did anything special for my site to be listed. 

One of the first things to do is to add it to google webmaster tools which will help get the crawlers attention. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 24 '16
Tecca
Tecca Jul 24 '16
I can confirm the above, I rank on page 1 on Google with several keywords and long tail searches. One of the ways to rank higher is making sure the content isn't thin, as is normally true with social network/forum posts and pages. They need to have some sort of bulk to them, at least around 600+ words for the keyword you're trying to rank for.

Though, yeah, Oxwall can do with some help on the SEO side. But it works as is, right now.
Abbey
Abbey Aug 15 '16
I've been working with oxwall since 2010, I have 3 sites using oxwall software, compared to other open source platforms I've found it the most attractive and easiest to use and navigate.
I'm not posting my sites due to the Adult nature of them sorry.
As to getting on google, I've never had an issue with this.