We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

I'd Like To Create A Full Bootstrap Theme | Forum

Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
So, I originally bought one that said bootstrap, but really doesn't seem to use the bootstrap base at all, and certainly not all of the very clean, simple CSS already built in.

I'd start from scratch, but the development notes are blank for CSS elements and standard design principles, and although I'm familiar with CMS and community code (since 2001—WP, Joomla (Mambo), Drupal, Dolphin, etc.), this is my first project with Oxwall, and I'd love a shortcut to learning it all one class at a time.

Any ideas on what classes I absolutely need to cover to start?

I have seen the tutorial on developing a theme for beginners, which is, to me, just customizing, as it diesn't discuss file structure, or how to change the layout foundation (12-column bootstrap responsive, for example).

Thank you for any/all assistance.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
OK, so I see that the core of Oxwall will not work that way. Hmmm.

I'd still be very interested in a list of classes and how they apply, if there is one. Understanding the overall structure helps me not only do the work I do, but also helps me work better with my team (I'm the UI/UX/Project Manager, I also have a developer on staff and a freelancer).

Is there a good tutorial on the very basics framework, and how pieces are built on? The wiki here seems to be missing updated content.

And then I see this: https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1289

I'm going to play with it. Any thoughts are welcome.
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 8 '16
Hello Miss,

Ebenezer here and happy to help. I didn't see this thread earlier. I will try to help you with your theme project and add this forum thread url on the Bootstrap plugin page for reference.

First of all, you need to understand Oxwall theme structure. Below is what the structure of Oxwall themes look like:

ThemeName

|

|_ theme.xml

|_ base.css

|_ README.md

|_ images

|_ master_pages

|_ blank.html

|_ dndindex.html.html

|_ general.html.html

|_ html_document.html

|_ admin.html

|_ decorators

|_ mobile

|_ fonts

|_ images

|_ master_pages

|_ base.css

|_ theme.jpg

|_ theme_preview.jpg

**Bolded words are folders***

I will proceed with the explanations when you confirm you are ready to proceed.

Regards

The Forum post is edited by Ebenezer Obasi Aug 8 '16
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
I don't know of any documentation related to this. Looks like it has been asked before, and they point to the skeleton plugin. Here is a list of classes from Github.

https://github.com/...plugins/base/classes
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
Looks like Ebenezer's got. He is one smart cookie, and is good with the system.
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 8 '16

Quote from Darryl B Looks like Ebenezer's got. He is one smart cookie, and is good with the system.
Hahaha. Darryl, this one particularly interests me :) Thanks for providing that link too.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
This could be a good thing for the platform. It could open the doors for theme design as well as plugins. I'm sure several would be interested in this.
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 8 '16
Indeed. I had that vision when I introduced the Bootstrap plugin. I would have developed a new theme to demonstrate just how much dimension this gives to the platform but duties and school came calling.

I hoped for another developer to pick up the idea and do something... I will be hoping we could setup a mini documentation here for Miss and other developers who wishes to do something with Bootstrap on the Oxwall platform.

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
I'm just a small fish in the sea when it comes to some of the knowledge here, but I will be following this.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
Thanks, Ebenezer, I posted over there, as you requested as well.

I'm just excited to work with this, and figure it out, as UX/UI is my favorite part of projects.

*smiles*
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
I am definitely ready. Anytime you are.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
From the theme structure above, you don't have to include the admin.html. That one is really only relevant to the Simplicity theme. The core looks at that for the admin panel. That's why the Simplicity theme is a required theme for the platform to work.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
Good to know!

Gosh... is there anyone else that geeks out as much as I do, learning a new platform for a project?

I'm really excited. I've developed with a lot of community code bases, and this seems pretty powerful (yes, I've read there are a few drawbacks).
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 8 '16
I'm writing a mini doc now. Will update soonest.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
Thank you, Ebenezer! You rock!

Sooooo excited!
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
Here's probably a stupid question. If you did create a full bootstrap theme, how would it address plugins. They are all calling for the standard classes for placement, and or design.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
Well, that's where integration would have to be considered. I have been thinking on that, and other templating solutions I've played with for open source.

Is there a plugin file structure list? Perhaps it's a simple And if the main site is responsive, the plugins not being 100% could be OK, depending.

In my project, I'm potentially willing to go a bit deeper than the average bear, as I'll need a lot of customization for my market.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
For example, one thing that a system I used to use did was make every page name a class. So the photos page would be page.photos (for example), which could be used to customize page-specific CSS.

Just read a thread about removing sidebars from specific pages. That's an easy way.

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Aug 8 '16
That's where the skeleton plugin may be able to help you a little. The different plugins have different structure based on what they do.
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Aug 8 '16
Ah. Yes! I've downloaded that. Have not yet unpacked it. So many exciting things to poke into!

*smiles*
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »