We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Important - Everyone! Feedback needed please! | Forum

dave Leader
dave Nov 1 '16
I bought alot of them too when i first started here.  The IP tracker still works, but the password changer has an issue with the new token process from oxwall and wont submit the form, i assume its a simple fix but ill have to look at it next week sometime.  

If we did that the developers would not be required to add any new features, just keep it opperational is all.

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 1 '16
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Nov 1 '16

How about branches? Basically the same thing that you are saying but...

1.- The dead plugin becomes open source.

2.- A new developer create a new branch knowing that there is customers awaiting for the update. Including all the original developer's plugin files and xml and add to the original xml something like 

<branch>

<author>New Author's name</author>

</branch>

3.- Now he can upload it as a branch of the original plugin and set his branch price or give it for free.

4.- The buyers can update the plugin if they pay for that "update" (branch). The ones who don't want to pay for the update, still can use the original work only.

5.- The original developer cannot delete the original plugin as now is open source, but still figures as the original owner. The new developer has full control over his branch.

6.- If any other developer want to create a new branch of the original plugin he can do it too. (more competition = more happy customers)

7.- If a developer wants, he can keep selling his original work as it is, add some features to another branch and put it a price. This ensures that the developer keeps having money for the updates but he have to add features to the branch and not only bug fixes.

8.- The original developer can let another developer to create a new branch of his plugin, so the original can keep selling his original work, and the extra features are added for the new developer. 

It is a win-win for everyone.

The original developers can still get more money from old customers adding more features to his own plugins, the customers get more and better features, almost all plugins are not going to die because now is a real business for them, the dead plugins get new features and bug fixes and the new developers continues the work of the previous developer. The new developer don't have to wait until a plugin is dead, he can request to create a branch to a developer anytime, the original developer decides if he allow or deny the request. So the customers doesn't have to wait 1 year or more until they get more updates, and the price of the updates are lower than buy a new plugin that does exactly the same than the old one.

Maybe I'm too tired to know what I'm saying, I hope to be clear on that, if i wasn't please let me know.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Nov 1 '16
Senior Developer Leader
Maybe if I say "features" instead of "branches", it may make more sense, I don't know...
dave Leader
dave Nov 1 '16
Ill read it again thinking features maybe.   I think i get the basic concept. But how does that help Oxwall pay for the management of the program. Someone has to manage this and enforce this and we cant expect ross to do it all.  They may have to hire a part timer and how is that going to get paid for. 
Senior Developer Leader

I don't know.

Donations maybe?

A fundraising maybe?
If Oxwall team says how much they need maybe some people that want to contribute for a better store, can make donations so they can hire a full time developer to make the store updates in less time.
They already own the majority of items in the store, a better store make more sales, they will get more revenue after they make the store better.

More updated plugins attract more buyers, is not only about dead plugins, but about quicker updates too, faster websites, more and faster sales. More happy customers.

Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Nov 1 '16
Hi SD,

That's actually a great idea...That could work too...!!
Quote from Senior Developer

How about branches? Basically the same thing that you are saying but...

1.- The dead plugin becomes open source.

2.- A new developer create a new branch knowing that there is customers awaiting for the update. Including all the original developer's plugin files and xml and add to the original xml something like 

<branch>

<author>New Author's name</author>

</branch>

3.- Now he can upload it as a branch of the original plugin and set his branch price or give it for free.

4.- The buyers can update the plugin if they pay for that "update" (branch). The ones who don't want to pay for the update, still can use the original work only.

5.- The original developer cannot delete the original plugin as now is open source, but still figures as the original owner. The new developer has full control over his branch.

6.- If any other developer want to create a new branch of the original plugin he can do it too. (more competition = more happy customers)

7.- If a developer wants, he can keep selling his original work as it is, add some features to another branch and put it a price. This ensures that the developer keeps having money for the updates but he have to add features to the branch and not only bug fixes.

8.- The original developer can let another developer to create a new branch of his plugin, so the original can keep selling his original work, and the extra features are added for the new developer. 

It is a win-win for everyone.

The original developers can still get more money from old customers adding more features to his own plugins, the customers get more and better features, almost all plugins are not going to die because now is a real business for them, the dead plugins get new features and bug fixes and the new developers continues the work of the previous developer. The new developer don't have to wait until a plugin is dead, he can request to create a branch to a developer anytime, the original developer decides if he allow or deny the request. So the customers doesn't have to wait 1 year or more until they get more updates, and the price of the updates are lower than buy a new plugin that does exactly the same than the old one.

Maybe I'm too tired to know what I'm saying, I hope to be clear on that, if i wasn't please let me know.

Senior Developer Leader
It is their store, this store is not new, have a lot of time with this cms for what i can see, so I think that they already know wich one is the best way to go to get money for their needs. 

I can only give suggestions, and my suggestion is that, branches with updates and new features for a fee, they will get more revenue after implement that, if they make the store better they will not need to hire anybody to take care of bad plugins, the customers do all the job with a fair review system, red labeling for bad plugins, green label for good ones etc...

Senior Developer Leader
Hi Webster Molaudi!

Thank you.

That's what I would do if I where the owner of this community system. 

dave Leader
dave Nov 1 '16
Yes i agree SD and i also agree and had said for a long time now that we need to find a way to seperate the good items from the bad and the good developers from the bad by using special award icons, special success icons, special customer service icons and just overall achknowledging the continued efforts of good developers.  

What i dont want to happen is for a bad developer to change for a couple of months and get some success awards on their store page and then fall back to old habbits and just collect money on old successes.  It has to be maintained, well organized, and presented in real time so that if they go back to bad habbits they lose their standing.  

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 1 '16
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Nov 1 '16
But now guys, what about the plugins that we bought that don't work ?
Will the branches fix these issues or that will be just for added new features ?
Quote from Senior Developer It is their store, this store is not new, have a lot of time with this cms for what i can see, so I think that they already know wich one is the best way to go to get money for their needs. 

I can only give suggestions, and my suggestion is that, branches with updates and new features for a fee, they will get more revenue after implement that, if they make the store better they will not need to hire anybody to take care of bad plugins, the customers do all the job with a fair review system, red labeling for bad plugins, green label for good ones etc...

Senior Developer Leader
The fair way is that if somebody else make the new branch with the updates, bug fixes and add some improvements/features, he have to get paid for his effort. 

If he doesn't get paid then we get the same result that we are currently having, dead plugins because the ones that want to make it a better place don't get any money.

With a fair review system and a good moneyback guarantee we can always be better so the first ones buying and testing a new plugin doesn't lose their money and don't get scammed.

Senior Developer Leader
Dave what about the red flags in the forum, I mean the problems that the users are facing should be in the first place so we can solve them, and after we solve the issues they have to mark it as solved, this way the next buyers will know that we do care about customers and solve the problems, if somebody doesn't they will get a lot of red flagged topics in his plugin... Is the same that marcus keeps repeating since a long time ago.
dave Leader
dave Nov 1 '16
yes and that idea SD has been included in the list, a solved deal i believe is what marcus was referring to. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5