We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Tips and Tricks | Forum

christine
christine Sep 21 '16
Since it was impossible to get pass original design, I had to think in a wider perspective. Background story:

"I needed something simple, yet exclusive and I bought several themes. All themes I bought or tried for free had either a look, desending from the way back machine or totally missed what is important for users. In most cases, the most important thing was forgotten. The boxes where we write our status updates is too colored or to dark with, a gray hard to see text. I went crazy trying to fix these communicating text holders. No use, the themes ground colors were set. Please, not all of us have a 100/100 vision and you guys/girls missed the point already. We want our users to stay longer, to explore the site more and just love what we offer. With dark schemes and hard to see text, we google away. -It simply becomes too tireing to spend two hours even, concentrating. Finally I found a theme called "White" and I love 98% of it..."

Tips and trix:

I have a developers account with Webydo.com. So I made my Oxwall landing page with them. See, the landing page is the most important thing you have, when you are not facebook or Google. -Which, I am clearly not!

On webydo you can create the landing page free from hassle. Simply make it the way you want it to look. They have WYSIWYG in big letters. Cut and paste, do the best you can or use a template. When your build is done, google for an embed code and create a new page within the Oxwall software. "Click pages, pick manage pages, add a new page, fill in the information. Choose guests only and paste your website code within the first box granting HTML. -Be careful with "iframes". Iframes tend to go from 0-100 filling the original format, making your website look bad. Not allways though.
When you have done this and saved your work. Drag and drop the new page infront of all others (first in line). -Remember, the next page, after the first one, that allow members to see, will be the landing page after entering your website.

As you will see on my website, I have a form for customers to apply for online help. When they apply, they also pay. The payment goes through yet another channel and this because of the lack of "ears" from Oxwall developers and their need for money. However, we can't make anything grow if we don't listen to needs...Goes more than one way!

Also, instead of puking out my good intentions on my website, drowning vistors with text, they really don't want to read... I made a 3D version of myself with "Sitepal". Sitepal don't have the reputation they deserve and I guess most developers in here face the same struggle...

Oxwall in itself promise a great future but, with a great future comes responsibility. We can not only accept bad plugins, plugins for sell that is not needed because, we have alternatives or of themes that are much too old.

When buyers lack expert opinion, they tend to go the wrong way, ending up leaving Oxwall. So, I am not afraid of competition, I like it even. I want to promote what is good, not building up a fortress with garlic and crosses.

I think most people don't want to see the developers leave, don't want to see the buyers leave, don't really like that what should be free -cost a fortune! We have only one way to solve this and that is with a good look at ourselves and what we offer.

I have some more tricks up my sleave if, you want to move forward!

http://nyhetspalatset.se
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 30 '16
so Webydo.com is a good solution if you want hire someone?

are they not expensive Christine?

Willie Cardenas
Willie Cardenas Apr 18 '22
It takes a lot of time to create a really original design. For example, when developing 3D models, you usually have to try a lot of variations before you get a good result. The result of professional designers' work is high-quality 3D models like these