We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Vimeo thumbnail grab | Forum

Omari
Omari Nov 19 '16
Video plugin is unable to grab thumbnails for vimeo, even when vimeo is added to the video source list in "content settings"
dave Leader
dave Nov 20 '16
Omari

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/36785

Vimeo is listed per that topic above, but as i understand it thumbs may or may not appear depending on the video itself.  Have you tried a different video to see if it has the same result.  Also have you tried this on the demo site. 

Are these your videos on vimeo or other peoples?  I have been doing some reading on it and it seems there are account settings the video owner should do in order to assist with this. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 20 '16
Omari
Omari Nov 20 '16
Hi dave,

The demo site does not support adding vimeo videos. The thumbnail grab problem is universal, after testing on different installations with different videos, including vanilla installations.

I am not sure that the issue was passed to developers, or they decided not to fix it? because that problem was partially reported in that thread more than a year ago.

Additionally I can also confirm that videos added directly to the newsfeed from the Attachments plugin do pull video thumbnails from Vimeo, however only if they are added via a link post int he newsfeed and not from a video embed. 

I think this issue is worth looking into as vimeo is an extremely popular hi def video resource than many people use. It should be given the same priority as youtube.

The Forum post is edited by Omari Nov 20 '16
dave Leader
dave Nov 20 '16
I agree lets see what input ross has when he gets in later today. 
Omari
Omari Nov 20 '16
lets also see if we can get some support for facebook embeds here too. Because the video plugin does not pull thumbnails for facebook either, another major video resource