We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Fundamental Oxwall Core Features Still Missing | Forum

dave Leader
dave Nov 28 '16
Jean, i applaud your effort here.  I am much the same way in just wanting to take the bull by the horns and get things done so i understand where you are coming from.  

However, one reason that this was not done in the past (and it has been tried) is because of the fraud element that exists in these kinds of transactions.  I dont know if you are aware of the history regarding Oxwall but alittle bit of that history includes many scam artists ripping off Oxwall users in one way or another over the years.  The point is that unless something like this is offered by the Oxwall team directly, users typcially wont contribute because of their past fear of being subjected to another fraud of some kind. Its not you Jean so please dont take it personally, its the fact that they are very gun shy over anything like this because of the past.

So although i support the idea of this, i seriously dont think you will get enough to do any good.  

Also i think a big concern is the india deal. I think alot of people would be taken back by the idea that you would only go with india and no other country such as the USA, Europe, Mexico, or Canada. 

I personally have lost so many private jobs to India because i would bid a job as low as i could bid and someone from India (or another similar country) would come along and bid it for .10 cents on the dolllar, because the US dollar there goes much further. So yes i have issue personally with paying someone from India anything at all. 

I help everyone here regardless of where they live because that is what i do, i like helping people.  However when it comes to custom jobs i wont entertain India as the only answer to who does the job. 

If you are not willing to share any details about yourself then i would think you are already on a dead end street with this, i dont think anyone will ever contribute unless they know something about you.  

Again i applaud your effort but it needs to be done by Oxwall in order for the users here to contribute. 

Oxwall users can still contribute to Oxwall and on your personal message in the payment you can state what the payment is for.  I am not saying that Oxwall will use those funds for that purpose since this has not been agreed to by Oxwall.  But you can try, and if Oxwall wants to do something like this then they can post the rules of how, when, and what to do. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 28 '16
IntrigU
IntrigU Nov 28 '16

Quote from dave llja  -  i think alot of that time was spent coding the new SEO feature. It is a large feature and probably took quite a while to finish.  
SEO was release in July. We will be in December day after tomorrow. That's what Ilja meant by half a year of dormancy. 
dave Leader
dave Nov 28 '16
From what i understand IntrigU, 1.8.5 was planned to be released soon, but not sure if before the end of the year or not.  You cant get quality if the job is rushed you know :)   And as you know sometimes testing brings out things never considered so maybe they postponed it to take care of some things. 
The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 28 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 28 '16
intrigU we all understand what Lilja did mean ( i hope) and it is great you was bring that up.

Only some not understand what "fast" and "slow" is and what "NEW donation" system is for make things faster fixed. it is like listen to someone that going back to past all the time what ever you say.

No name, i just say "someone" and that is not illegal no names i refer to someone in my mind.

at least there is people understand that a "new system" can easy make things go much faster with new system that is easy to implement for oxwall. we have a vote system that can easy bee changed and what i can understand nobody is happy what that vote system.

all credits to you guys who understand that there is great NEW ways to solve issues and not need go back all the times and say we can not do this and we have to little people in several years and wheels turn slowly....this is not a huge issue we can solve it if we can come together oxwall,buyers and developers...

I feel new ideas is worth to give a try instead keep old systems that is slow...we all want to success oxwall,buyers,developers and with many people involved great ideas can solve issues that belongs to the past we are moving to 2017 take a new step and make things go faster at least give it a try before you say it would not working and that we already have a OLD donation system that have nothign to do with this donation system i talk about.

/Marcus

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 28 '16
Ilja
Ilja Nov 29 '16
Guys, 

We may take a look in log

https://github.com/oxwall/oxwall/commits/master

Most of changes proposed and merged into oxwall are done by skalfa. Apart of that there is almost no activity which should be for such a big project.  It looks that project is not developing anymore,  but maintained at the level skalfa team needs that. It would not be bad it self, if skalfa needs more :) 

It open source world,  there could appear new development leaders with new energy who will take a lead to push project forward.  You  cannot push old team if it's not interesting for them anymore. Even with donations.

Ilja
Ilja Nov 29 '16
But don't understand me wrong,  i would like to even purchase a commercial license,  if there would be such.  But i need bugs fixed, and new features arrive,  as you guys. 
dave Leader
dave Nov 29 '16
I dont use github myself, i would not know up from down there.  So i could not make any statement because i just dont know. 
James Geddes
James Geddes Nov 29 '16
Firstly, wow! Lots of love for this thread! That's clearly not a good thing though, as it is a shame that we have got to this stage; these functions should be fundamental in any platform in 2016.

Secondly, I forgot to include the removal of sequential numbering in my original list, so I have edited my original post to do so. This is arguably one of the most important changes, as it is a security threat.

With regards to any fundraising, I feel that the money would need to go directly to the Oxwall Foundation. This is for the same reason that I choose not to donate money to charity through street collectors; one just does not know what "middle men" are between the point of collection and the point of delivery. Please don't get me wrong, Jean, I am sure you are a diamond geezer (as some of us Londoners might say) however when it comes to money there must be absolute transparency. If the Oxwall Foundation could provide its official preferred donation methods, be it PayPal, bitcoin or otherwise, then I am sure this would aid progress.

Finally, I do appreciate that I do a fair amount of moaning on TDOF (The Oxwall Developers Forum), however I want the record to show that this is just because I care about Oxwall. I want Oxwall to be help millions of other communities come together, regardless of the restrictions that Geography might present. I am tremendously grateful that Oxwall exists at all, so let's all do whatever we can to take it to the next level!

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 29 '16

thank you all bee on same level about the donation system

I suggest oxwall team create and post project and plugins for people donate on each project and plugins and when it reaches a money level that they need for they hire someone do it then it will bee created and maybe they can hire soemone do it so they small team can do other things.

i show with screen shot what i try say

the donation value need to bee same for everyone and they who donate on plugins get free license when it is finished

let say you donate 5 usd on a not finished plugin then when it is finished created you have a 5 usd plugin and they who decide not donate need buy it for the final price in the plugin store let say it will cost 20 usd in the store when it is finished

If it is good or bad idea let me know i just try come up with ideas 

thanks

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Nov 29 '16
Attachments:
  screen shot 1.png (526Kb)
dave Leader
dave Nov 29 '16
Marcus,  again  you are not understanding the flavor of the topic.  It is regarding donations to add features to the core, not donations for plugins, or free licenses.  Please stay on topic.  
dave Leader
dave Nov 29 '16
James, thanks so much for your devotion to Oxwall, it is appreciated greatly.  The problem with removing sequential numbering is that in order to accomplish this it would almost take a total rewrite of the software.  

It might be better to just create a new Oxwall software (by another name) and develope that on the side. Im still not sure doing that you could even use the core for it.  It would probably have to be a new rewrite from scratch.  

Also sequential numbering has its challenges but everything does, and there are still new scripts being written every day that use it.  Yes there are downsides however i dont believe it is to the point of danger beyond protection yet. 

@marcus, im not asking you sir, im telling you to stay on topic, ross has already warned you once.  This has nothing to do with plugins or free licenses, it has to do ONLY with the core.  You can try to justify your sidebar issues or needs any way you want but listen to what is being ask of you.. STOP and stay on topic.   

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 29 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 29 '16

This is possible for make for the core features the same way with projects and plugins example i told about. the plugin and projects was only a example dave and if you read what i say i said "projects" and "plugins"

If the "core feature" (projects) will implemented in 1 month instead of 1 or 2 years that i think would bee enough benefit for they who put any donation and it will bee possible give maybe other benefits the idea is open for they who can suggest other benefits

i send a screen shot again the first one was missing a arrow paypal is already implemented in the store so oxwall do not need do so much changes only add a value counter.

thanks again for talk with members that are on my level about solve issues about make core features bee implemented faster...I keep the ball rolling

Thanks

/Marcus

Attachments:
  screen shot 1.png (526Kb)
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Nov 29 '16
+1 Marcus

I like the donations for features in the core, unfortunately I don't think oxwall team are going to implement it into this store, if there is enough people interested on donate (not only talk and give ideas) maybe I and some other developers interested on that, we can work on something.

So what do you think? Please answer developers and customers. Every idea is always welcome.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Nov 29 '16
dave Leader
dave Nov 29 '16
Marcus, just a note, SD i believe is asking for ideas on getting people to contribute to the core donation idea. Which means a donation plan to add features to the core, not free plugins, not licenses, not skadate, not any other of your ideas that you have shared time and time again.  I think you have some good ideas if you can just manage to stay focused on the topic.  Donation and Core, thanks. 

Yes i agree everyone needs to be involved in this as it effects everyone. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 29 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 29 '16

+1 SD

Yes i like the idea and thank you for like the idea about donation system at oxwall.

You are right SD i think there is to little people that interested make things go faster and make donations for that happen.

maybe oxwall could make some topic where everyone interested in a donations system and that core features will bee implemented much faster can join that list and we will see how many interested , i think good idea

if no interest then okey we need accept things go slow oxwall and wait for updates many years. i do not know any better ideas that was the last idea i did have for make things go faster here

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Nov 29 '16

+1 dave

I need take my glasses on but i not have any and i never use glasses :) or what should i say, but i was read this from dave:

<<<I think you have some good ideas if you can just manage to stay focused on the topic.">>>

Thank you dave that i have been missing from you here in 100 topics that you give me "good feedback" , thank you dave my hat off for you :)

i will "respect" you more after this and i hope you and me can "agree" on things instead of fighting about things always much more fun

thanks dave for the good feedback 

James Geddes
James Geddes Nov 29 '16
I think that having "We Build. You Grow" as the Oxwall slogan is slightly misleading. What Oxwall currently needs is lots of people to help build it, so that everyone can grow. 

Dave, I realise that the removal of sequential numbering is a big task, perhaps the most arduous on the list, but that does not mean it is any less important. As Tom Scott points out, it's a really, really bad way to design any system.

If one were to make a fork project of Oxwall, as LibreOffice did with OpenOffice, how would that work? Would the Oxwall branding still need to be displayed? This would not make any sense, as the new product would not be Oxwall.

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Nov 29 '16

Oxwall is open source with CPAL 1.0  license.

You can read the license here: https://developers.oxwall.com/license

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Nov 29 '16
Ilja
Ilja Nov 29 '16
According the license it can be forked into separate project and developed by new team under new name. Or current team may give access to new developers who could do more modifications under current name. 

For sure, doing this in the scope of current project is better as same ecosystem stays in place.

So main key to make this happen - is new people who are able and willing to overtake leadership in development. If no.. I have doubts donation idea will work either :)..

Jean DeJean
Jean DeJean Nov 29 '16
First, I love the fact that this post gathered so many reactions. The Oxwall community is great indeed !

So thank you all for your insights, I'm closing my doomed fundraising money pot I set up. To me it doesn't make any difference to share personal information or not: it could be a completely made up LinkedIn/whatever profile anyway, you unfortunately cannot tell the difference between scammers and honest people, that's the very sad trouble.

I understand people are reluctant to contribute to so-called "unverified" fundraising, and I don't take it personnaly, I just wanted to propose something to get things moving, it doesn't work that's life, no hard feelings. I am still definitely willing to contribute to another money pot or fundraising endeavour endorsed by Oxwall team, as it seems to be the favored way.

One last point, I see from the contributions in github that the community is not at all restricted to one guy, it is very active and welcoming pull requests from the outside. I'm too lazy to dive into that PHP code I don't like, but I'm sure things can be proposed there. If SD is willing to contribute, I can transfer my 20€ donation to him. I know it's not much, but I can easily get away with losing 20€ for being too naive :-).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »