We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Facebook Connect Plugin NOT WORKING! | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
David
David Jul 17 '17
I've contacted the author... privately and in the forums... but.. the API was updated and the plugin hasn't been in over a year.  I realize it's free... but without that plugin... a lot of our websites (and Oxwall) are useless.  90% of my members are using this plugin to log in.  I can't create new sites without it working... I can't update my own facebook app to anything above 2.8. (v2.9 is required now).   I'm losing business.  I'm losing members.  Can SOMEONE take over this app and keep it updated?   It seems the original author doesn't care to fix ANY of his apps and has been absent for some time. 
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 18 '17
My advice is not build up you business on facebook API ,you do not know what will happens in the future when it comes to facebook API and what they will allow.

I realize this 1 year ago and i was loosing like 400-500 members when i was remove this facebook plugin, but in the end i know i will bee a big winner doing that.

Good luck to you all that use this plugin in future and other social media API one day they will stop it like facebook have done already with facebook ads, for they who run dating sites and community sites they not allowed run facebook ads. only BIG dating sites and very BIG community sites are allowed. they have implemented some strange rule that make the rich richer and the poor poor more....facebook do not want competioners only if you pay a very high price to the right bosses. i call they facebook ad system corrupted system to allow only BIG dating sites not small

probably soon in future they do same with this API as with they facebook ad system

i can bee wrong and you can trust facebook as business partner but my feeling says if you are going stay on internet forever not try build up you business on other business it will hit you back one day and very hard

a small notice i did:

(Facebook have created they OWN third part API APP on cloudflare, not cloudflare created this one. so the future i would say can change quick about anything when it comes to facebook)

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jul 18 '17
David
David Jul 23 '17
I appreciate your input but that doesn't help at all.  I want to know when it will be updated or if someone can take it over, because this author seems like he couldn't care less about his plugins or in actually showing his face in the forums.... and a lot of them are getting to be that way.  Including the developers of Oxwall themselves. It's very unprofessional and a lot of us have had it.
Shaun
Shaun Jul 24 '17
Morning David,

The facebook connect button is working for me on many oxwall site so I wonder if all you need to do is make another facebook app and put the new details into the plugin setting on your site.

I say that because a few week ago facebook emailed me to say that I would need to do just that because of a API change in protocol or something similar.
bobbi
bobbi Jul 24 '17
Thanks for the tip Shaun, my Facebook app is working currently but should it fail I will take your advice
David
David Jul 24 '17
Hey Shaun... the problem is the plugin supports apps from Facebook... up to 2.8.  If we create new FB Apps... they are automatically set for 2.9.  So, while the old apps still function... the new apps return a "could not authenticate" error on the plugin and it won't work.  Also... anyone using a 2.8 app via Facebook to authenticate....should note that it WILL still work via computer.... but it will no longer allow members to log in via mobile.

The notice reads as follows:

"Mobile Site URL will no longer be supported starting on July 10. In order to retain existing functionality, you need to update your app to handle the redirection in the desktop iframe. You'll need to detect mobile browsers loading the page and render a button to upsell people off of Facebook to your mobile website."

Shortly... we will lose functionality for 2.8 completely under this plugin.  So... since about 50% of my customers on my sites log in via Facebook Connect... you can see how this will screw people using Oxwall if it's not fixed or patched soon.
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Jul 25 '17
Hi David,

I was using version 2.3 and could not upgrade my fb app and it stopped working I couldn't log in and was scared to delete and create a new app but I had no choice....so I deleted the app and created a new 2.9 version and my users still managed to log and you won't have any issues.

Just replace your App ID and Secret Key with the 2.9 version on your facebook connect plugin and any other facebook app and all will be fine.

The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Jul 25 '17
David
David Jul 25 '17
Webmaster... tried that... it returned an error "unable to authenticate".  Every time. On EVERY site I own. Hence, the plugin needs updated.
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Jul 26 '17
Hi David,

Have these information on your App ?

The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Jul 26 '17
David
David Jul 27 '17
Yes.  I've been doing this for a long time... I know nothing was missed or mis-configured.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 30 '17
I have same issue. i have not use the facebook plugin in 1 year and i decide to try it.

David correct it is send me same error when i enter ap id and ap secret and then try save i get same error message that he have?

not sure what it is? and i was downloaded latest plugin release?

i did ignore the error and try sign up with my facebook profile and it was working?

very strange?

and it is strange if the author not answer?

@author Sergey Kambalin

because he have been active the latest weeks on this forum and answer people in public?

i think he would bee the right man answer what the issue is?

hopefully he see this ....

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jul 30 '17
Steve
Steve Aug 6 '17
Hey Dave I am using the facebook plugin on two websites.

The one website you know of but it is down right now due to hardware issue will be up and running in a week and half and it is running 2.5 facebook app.

The other website I set up approximately 3 months ago for our church with the same facebook plugin as the other site except this one is using the facebook app 2.9 and it works fine.

Just a quick note though I am still using oxwall 1.8.0

The Forum post is edited by Steve Aug 6 '17
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 6 '17
my facebook connect plugin is let people with no correct email domain enter my sites. but is about 3% i see that have no correct email. i think it is a facebook connect bug it grab wrong emails from facebook sometimes. it always comes from my android app. i think they wil solve this....and my android app wih facebook connect have 95% with no location enter so they are 95% ghost from my android circle around on my website. sometimes there is 0 age to. yes this facebook connect was very buggy when it comes to android they who use mobile apps check it up guys and you will see alot crazy things happens with this plugin and android together

as for desktop and ios app it works perfect it looks like....the error i did have in start was just to ignore.

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 6 '17
David
David Aug 6 '17
Again... the problem isn't that apps created prior to version 2.9 won't work.  My app was created a year ago on v2.8.  It works okay.   My issue is that I can't update to 2.9 and within a few months... it won't log anyone in anymore, either.  It already won't allow mobile logins.  Also... new websites can create a new app on Facebook, but it will automatically be v2.9.... and WILL NOT VALIDATE with the Oxwall FB Connect app.   This is where we're at.  I don't know how to explain it any better.  I can't create new FBConnect sites using this plugin.  It's useless... unless you have an old FB App and it still (temporarily) works.... but that won't last long.  And what about my mobile login members who already cannot get into my site? 

And no... mobile logins do NOT work, y'all.  They haven't worked since July.

From Facebook:

"Mobile Site URL will no longer be supported starting on July 10. In order to retain existing functionality, you need to update your app to handle the redirection in the desktop iframe. You'll need to detect mobile browsers loading the page and render a button to upsell people off of Facebook to your mobile website."

So... we're stuck... we can't update the app until the plugin gets updated, because the NEW app will not work with the old plugin.  Simple as that.
Roma Reklam
Roma Reklam Nov 15 '17

facebook connection problem

My friends connections are fine.

I am wondering how to get the user name and surname

The registered user name (Davit Merid), the member only appears as "davit".

He does not take his surname, to get his first name and surname.

What can I do for this, I have been studying for days but I have not found anything.

Get your username and surname when Facebook membership is complete.

ArtMedia
ArtMedia Nov 18 '17
you must edit plugin code to achieve it
Roma Reklam
Roma Reklam Nov 18 '17

Could you please change to verify.

What line am I supposed to change for the code change?

Thank you

ArtMedia
ArtMedia Nov 18 '17
you must chceck plugin code, i don't write it, but write other application using facebook API

if you start modify code and get error, the i can help, but i don't have time to do this for free
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Apr 19 '18
My facebook connect suddenly not adding avatars on auto taken from they facebook accounts? i test it on all my sites and same?

Someone have same issue like me?

And i have problem with half finished profile sign up all the time?and with wrong genders to?

Soon this facebook connect is ONLY give out email adress, nothing else to any third part developers apps...maybe i start get right about that nobody should trust this plugin and stop use it for not get big problem in future...

I notice i have new private settings on my facebook accounts about this to and that members can draw back things that they shared with the third part app if they want

probably in soon future facebook stop give out emails to ....i have that feeling......is this the start of the end of this facebook third part features....should we trust to use this plugin for our business? is there someone thinking same like me?

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Apr 19 '18
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Apr 21 '18
update:

now it suddenly take avatars from facebook and add to new profiles?

I guess facebook is change things in the software all the time right now and thats why temporary strange things shows up?

Pages: 1 2 »