We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Fake members appearing on website | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Victor Daniel Tremblay

Paul and Purusothaman.

I have 5 Oxwall sites and many more other sites builted on Joomla and Concrete5.  I have nearly no problems with spams on the J and C sites as I have with some of my Oxwall sites.  They are effectively using a script-robot system to detect Oxwall sites very easely thus and also giving a false visitors number within the stats of the sites.

For sure ""the custom "field" does work"", but why should we have to rely on this effort?

I think the Oxwall team should look carefully into these problems while there is already five pages of discussions related to it.

My 2 cents.

Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from Victor Daniel Tremblay why should we have to rely on this effort?

Looks like a valid point to me.. There has been many reports where several page visits are done by bots.
Roland Mallapre
Roland Mallapre Feb 8 '13

i had a lot of spammers on my site before. i noticed that they are human spammers and not bots || what i did is instead of deleting their accounts, i suspended them so they can't use the same email again. And the last thing i did is to put this line on my main  page: NO SPAMMERS ALLOWED!  --- to my surprise it worked. a haven't had any spammers since then. I am not using any anti-spamming software. Hope this helps.

Bob (Coder Whacker)
One has to realizes that spamming agents use a template based on the default setup of Oxwall's profile questions. The way to stop spam is to add a few extra required profile questions.

The questions added must be required.

However to ensure that spammers of whom are prepared to go to your site after the spamming software as run. because they are normally given an option to do so, is to create a buffer. The buffer is to open a new default roll (green room) say called Newbies.  This roll should have no options to post but only to view.

The latest maddening span agent posts a look alike default avatar but it has a noticeable frame like border. This is the agent that gets around the need to verify an email, so posts are done automatic.

If you use your Green Room account for vetting its normally pretty easy to spot a genuine interest person from the spammers. So you can delete the spammers and change the roll of your Newbies to full membership.

This means you have total control of your site and can declare your site spam free.

Your method has been employed on Code Whacker the independent developers community for many months now. But we make a statement stating that Code Whacker reports spammers to their ISP and email hosts.

I do not believe in IP checking spam protecting software as it is defective and millions of none spamming folk can be cut off from a site using such software. What happens is thousands of ISP's can be cut off where users use the same IP. This effects cable uses, mobile device users and is seen to be a real nuisance.  My Oxwall sites are all spam free and have been for many months now. same as my wall.fm sites. plus of course my clients sites.

One additive to the Green Room system is you can pursued those that register in from Facebook etc. to complete edit their profiles before you give them full membership                         
The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 8 '13
SL
SL Feb 8 '13

Quote from Roland Mallapre NO SPAMMERS ALLOWED! --- to my surprise it worked. a haven't had any spammers since then. I am not using any anti-spamming software. Hope this helps.

it does not help,
if the anti spammer is off,...my site is still suffering, especially if
my site server attacked by certain bad bot or foreign machine or unknown software running in back and it reduce my site server performance ... (it will not bevisible in the list of users) and can only be identified by anti spammer software and the like...

it is Better for your site if you activated the anti spammer, Watchdog, or the other available anti spammer plugin
GTranslated
The Forum post is edited by SL Feb 8 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)
I have three Oxwall sites totally spam free Raden with out those dreadful IP spam checking mod's. The Green Room and add required questions is simple effective and also saves on server side diskspace and cuts down high CPU usage. 
SL
SL Feb 8 '13
I always change the sign up question every week/month...it is not help...
Green Room can only be used for small websites that quiet or still less of traffic ...this system will be very inconvenient for the purpose of a big social websites... admin will be troubled and busy to take care of hundreds of users probably even more that have registered during hourly
Unique
Unique Feb 8 '13

Quote from Raden it is Better for your site if you activated the anti spammer, Watchdog, or the other available anti spammer plugin GTranslated

By activating the anti-spammers will at least reduce the risk of damage to servers and disruption
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Raden on a high volume user site (there is not many of them actually) The whole thing to evade spam is geared to know they enemy.

Basically you take a look at the agents software and the template. To successfully stop this intrusion you need to change your sites profile questions by having varied amount of required questions. What happens the sites on the agents software list has a basic template and if after the spamming run sites have not accepted the registration. Those sites are listed. Then the user is requested to fill in the required questions. The more questions need to answer the more unlikely the users is going to be interested. If one gets that right its not necessary to have a green room.

But in all seriousness most oxwall users have not got volume related sites.

All this IP checking is totally unnecessary, its always been a total headache, I myself do not want to upset prospective members of any site I run. Nor do any of the many users of the system some like me have been totally annoy being block out of a site because our IPS and not we has been blocked by this stupid IP blocking software.

Then the system is so simple to set up, i back it up to the hilt and I run profile sites that are simply spam free and been spam free for 6 months! With out spam blocking software. So there is no harm in setting it up folks and trying it for your selves. It does work I can assure you.        

The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 8 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)

Quote from Unique By activating the anti-spammers will at least reduce the risk of damage to servers and disruption
What damage to the server, it response to the access of the server by the bot, the server is still busy and more busy as the IP is checked. By blocking out the IP to access the software does not stop the bot entrance to the gate of the server. This checking action is used each time your users visit so this means high use of CPU usage. As far as I understand ?

SL
SL Feb 8 '13

Quote from Bob (Coder Whacker) Nor do any of the many users of the system some like me have been totally annoy being block out of a site because our IPS and not we has been blocked by this stupid IP blocking software.
Try installing Last updated anti spammer Jan 19 I can assure you it will not block you and your site member to sign in ...and i assure you it will not block your site visitors who dont used the blocked IP...

SL
SL Feb 8 '13

Quote from Raden What damage to the server, it response to the access of the server by the bot, the server is still busy and more busy as the IP is checked. By blocking out the IP to access the software does not stop the bot entrance to the gate of the server. This checking action is used each time your users visit so this means high use of CPU usage. As far as I understand ?

There are many hack software can demage your server if your site has not a good securtiy...it can copy and demage whole your site without you know what happening to...
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Why when the system I am using causes no problems and my sites are spam free, yes spam free.

I would just be causing high CPU usage unnecessary and taking valuable disk space up on my server.

Why use something one does not need, I and most Oxwall users do not want anyone blocked whom is not a spammer! 

SL
SL Feb 8 '13

Quote from Bob (Coder Whacker) Why use something one does not need, I and most Oxwall users do not want anyone blocked whom is not a spammer!

when you've developed a great website and has a lot of traffic, then I believe you will need it... And anti spammer is not block whom is not a spammer
Unique
Unique Feb 8 '13
if this talking about the anti-spammerwas created by Paul, it was an earlier version contained many bugs are like preventing register users to sign inand prevent visitor to register, but in the latest updated versionjan 19, This plugin is already free of bugs, and there are some additional features that will be very useful for the oxwall site owner...My special appreciation to paul

The Forum post is edited by Unique Feb 8 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)
I don't think so I have built a lot of software sites, in my lurid past going back to 1981 i have got a lot of experience in software security. still life in the old dog as yet, lol 

I however know that for most developers here that want to stop spam the method I explain here does work. try it out for your self and you will find I am right.

This is not a point of ego's.

Its a point of keep it simple and know your enemy, these spamming guys use software and templates and its all about templates at the end of the day.   

You of course realized they use a similar method of registering sites to search engines? Its all the same principles. The search engines pestered just made it harder by adding things the templates could not handle. So the process became a tiresome thing for the add web site users. lol

Bob (Coder Whacker)
My best question is are you a spammer. Adding a remark "We report spammers!"

Your find that on the Code Whacker join page. lol   
SL
SL Feb 9 '13
I did the same question with 3 choices of option
are you a hacker
are you a spammer
i am not a spammer and a hacker

The Forum post is edited by SL Feb 9 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)
That particular program of Paul's caused months of problems with wall.fm. Who now took it of line and use possibly watchdog. This IP checking plugins are problematic and Oxwall developers that them have no clue how many new users have been put off. That's the main point, their users.   

With my method  your new users will not be put off guaranteed!
The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 9 '13
SL
SL Feb 9 '13

Quote from Bob (Coder Whacker) That particular program of Paul's caused months of problems with wall.fm. Who now took it of line and use possibly watchdog. This IP checking plugins are problematic and Oxwall developers that them have no clue how many new users have been put off. That's the main point, their users.

I dont know about this...but in my site there is no problem or (what u said Stupid IP Software)...by installing Paul`s anti spammer
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »