We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Splash Page | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Development » Themes
Michael I.
Michael I. Nov 14 '12
Topic was moved from Hacks.
Mark
Mark Apr 18 '14
All this time and no one gave a direct answer to a simple question.  Patrick offered the information needed (but you could have explained a little better).  Going to the file  ow_system_plugins/base/views/controllers/base_document_splash_screen.html I found the css that was overriding my base.css.  

I changed the values in the style located inside the "literal" smarty tags

{literal}.splash_screen_cont{    width:100%;    margin:0 auto;    padding-top:0;}{/literal}

by changing the width to 100% and removing the padding I was able to move all my control to the base.css.
I think that this project would really grow and get a lot better for everyone if people would simply answer these questions whenever they can.  This wasn't hard once Patrick explained the location of the file.

The Forum post is edited by Mark Apr 18 '14
John
John Apr 20 '14
Hi Mark,

I've just read this thread for the first time and in all honesty I can't even figure out what people are actually trying to achieve here. If someone took a screenshot of the actual page and then showed us what they're trying to achieve, maybe someone can and will help.

The problem on this forum is that most people who attend are looking for answers and too few are willing to help. If you take Ross out of the equation, there's not many people who currently offer coding help. You have plugin developers lurking, but they mainly spend their time defending their plugins. You rarely see them help with a coding issue.

Usually with a script like Oxwall there is what they call an override system. That means anything added to a certain file will override what's in the base or core files which should never be altered. You probably know all this but others may not, so please accept my apologies.

If you update Oxwall, everything you changed in the Base file will be lost and you'll be back to square one. I could be wrong, but I don't think Oxwall nominates a folder or a file where these changes can be kept but it may be buried away in the documentation. Oxwall may not even have a proper Override and maybe Ross can respond.

In the case of ZenCart (a brilliant and free shopping cart system), the Override folder is clearly stated. You would then create a file in the override called base.css for example and place all your mods in that. You just enter the single line(s) you wish to override.

I'm currently playing with Dolphin and it has exactly the same system. I'm modifying a Template and my little override file of about 100 lines changes the template completely. Should the template ever be updated my changes should still work. That's provided I keep a copy of them.

If Oxwall has a user accessible override system is something I don't know, but if you use Grep to find a line of code, it's best to ignore the code in base.css or in the core and choose another expendable css file in the template itself. That will be the override file as such.

Changing Smarty tags should still be possible through an override system and that's how Plugins usually work.
The Forum post is edited by John Apr 20 '14
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Apr 22 '14
+1
Quote from John Hi Mark,

I've just read this thread for the first time and in all honesty I can't even figure out what people are actually trying to achieve here. If someone took a screenshot of the actual page and then showed us what they're trying to achieve, maybe someone can and will help.

The problem on this forum is that most people who attend are looking for answers and too few are willing to help. If you take Ross out of the equation, there's not many people who currently offer coding help. You have plugin developers lurking, but they mainly spend their time defending their plugins. You rarely see them help with a coding issue.

Usually with a script like Oxwall there is what they call an override system. That means anything added to a certain file will override what's in the base or core files which should never be altered. You probably know all this but others may not, so please accept my apologies.

If you update Oxwall, everything you changed in the Base file will be lost and you'll be back to square one. I could be wrong, but I don't think Oxwall nominates a folder or a file where these changes can be kept but it may be buried away in the documentation. Oxwall may not even have a proper Override and maybe Ross can respond.

In the case of ZenCart (a brilliant and free shopping cart system), the Override folder is clearly stated. You would then create a file in the override called base.css for example and place all your mods in that. You just enter the single line(s) you wish to override.

I'm currently playing with Dolphin and it has exactly the same system. I'm modifying a Template and my little override file of about 100 lines changes the template completely. Should the template ever be updated my changes should still work. That's provided I keep a copy of them.

If Oxwall has a user accessible override system is something I don't know, but if you use Grep to find a line of code, it's best to ignore the code in base.css or in the core and choose another expendable css file in the template itself. That will be the override file as such.

Changing Smarty tags should still be possible through an override system and that's how Plugins usually work.

Pages: « 1 2