We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Is it Oxwall game over? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
David
David Aug 26

Quote from ViXiV Technologies When I blow the store up with new plugins maybe you'll change your mind ;-)

I vote on OxNext: OxWall Community Edition

It doesn't take much to add new features and options to OxWall. PWA came out in 2016 and look it only took a nudge, a mentor and a few days of patience to have a working plugin.

Yeah, but when you charge $100 bucks for a plugin.... for an open source software project that has been abandoned and not updated in two years... you can't seriously expect this will change the opinions of people still clinging to hope that Oxwall isn't dead.  $100 bucks is just greedy.
Morena Milani
Quote from Chris_W

Considering the fact that there is a potential $299/mo and a minimum $30/mo difference to the price of Oxwall, I don't see the attraction. There are lots of platforms out there at those kind of prices.

Quote from Sean Fitzgerald
We are here to help fill a void left by Oxwall. Publish & Cultivate an online community in seconds Free 14-Day Trial 24/7 Customer Service, Music Tracks, Videos, Photos, Member Management, Post Status-Live, Activity Feed, Events, Forum, Chat, Blogs, Fan Pages, Create private/public groups, SEO, Customize Mobile App, Analytics. https://www.socibd.com

Yes, and from my hosting there are excellent ones that pay one-off with everything complete with plugins and native apps and updates, support 
dave Leader
dave Sep 9
Folks dont quote that post, i reported it as spam... please remove that from your post so when its del it will be gone.. thanks 
Chris_W
Chris_W Sep 14

Quote from oxwall
** url removed **
Then put them in the official store. No one is going to buy them off site. Most members here will advise others not to.
The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Germany Sep 14
dave Leader
dave Sep 14
+1 Chris_W

Sell your products in the Oxwall Store like everyone else does please.  We do not advocate users purchasing plugins outside of the store environment.  

ViXiV Technologies

Quote from David
Quote from ViXiV Technologies When I blow the store up with new plugins maybe you'll change your mind ;-)

I vote on OxNext: OxWall Community Edition

It doesn't take much to add new features and options to OxWall. PWA came out in 2016 and look it only took a nudge, a mentor and a few days of patience to have a working plugin.

Yeah, but when you charge $100 bucks for a plugin.... for an open source software project that has been abandoned and not updated in two years... you can't seriously expect this will change the opinions of people still clinging to hope that Oxwall isn't dead.  $100 bucks is just greedy.
I'm not here to work for free, I am here to help but also to make money. Oxwall is not dead just because you haven't seen a release zip in 2 years, look at commit history where Oxwall gets developed (GITHUB):
https://github.com/oxwall/oxwall

Updated 9 Days ago... Yeap... No updates in 2 years.... Wait...................................

You think $100 is greedy? Hah, wait till the Advanced and Pro get released at $150 and $200. 
I just developed the most advanced dynamic client side service worker caching system in existence, I suppose you would like me to provide it for free?

You know what is even more difficult than the service worker caching which was actually fun? Push Notifications... It's horrible, but I've been adamantly working every day to provide a better solution that works on the fly without GCM/FCM/OneSignal and have it almost completed.

These plugins are expensive, because they aren't just your normal plugins. These plugins don't give you a little added functionality in Oxwall, they turn your entire Oxwall site into a PWA in the push of a few buttons. I really don't think you understand what all has been involved in the development of these plugins, but if you feel you can roll your own solution, please be my guest as I've even provided much of the information on doing so!

The Forum post is edited by ViXiV Technologies Sep 14
ViXiV Technologies
Also the last I checked, the plugins I was able to release so far have gotten the community pumped, gotten developers pumped, encouraged further plugin development, encouraged discussion, encouraged the creation of a new company, encouraged the creation of a new fork. It shows that Oxwall can actually do new tricks, and tricks that were just introduced as recent as 2016.

I guess it's time to announce this...

We are working on a new Oxwall Fork and I have decided to look into extended the Mobile version further:

https://github.com/esase/mobile

Honestly, our primary focus initially should be implementing further security and fixing some bugs, but extending the mobile version is extremely high on my list. Its just that we already have some critical security issues that we have been aware of for quite some time that need to be addressed first.

So... If you would like to see further growth, bug fixes, security fixes, new features and new plugins then get involved! 

Learn, Discuss, Code and Implement! We need people to be involved, give us ideas, and please alert us to issues! Someone start a bug tracker for us, or we will, either way stuff is getting done.

Donations and Supporting your Developers by purchasing plugins only helps to further all of our growth and ensure devs want to stick around and new dev's join. I'm personally trying to get other developers I know involved to gain talent for all of us.

Developers don't want to be where they're not wanted and sometimes that is directly indicated by how much money they are making for their time spent on a project... 

Plain and Simple.

ViXiV Technologies
LoL... Oh you Devs... Wanting to charge money for code you spend hundreds if not thousands of hours working on, how dare you want to eat and survive and pay bills like everyone else...

Who, in Life, works for free here?

Anyone???

dave Leader
dave Sep 14
+100000000000000000000000000  ViXiV  

Things are happening folks, even while you continue with posts that talk about the end, the next phase is well on its way and will be presented when the time is right.   

Keep the faith

Keep dreaming

Keep discussing

Keep coding

and most of all ........ drum roll .................................. 

Keep a cool head :)

Morena Milani
Morena Milani Sep 14
Quote from dave Folks dont quote that post, i reported it as spam... please remove that from your post so when its del it will be gone.. thanks 
Dave I can not remove it I'm wrong 
Webster Molaudi
Guys, 

I dont care about the price....as long as developers commit themselves to fix bugs on their plugins, update their plugins if needed and respond to issues regarding their plugins and lastly their plugins deliver as promised...then i will buy...Dave and many other developers can vouch for me that i do support devs. and buy plugins that i need for my website. My website https://www.myvirgo.info it is what it is because of developers like Dave, Sergey, OW Visuals and others who put time and effort plus support to their plugins.

Morena Milani
Morena Milani Sep 15
Quote from dave Morena you cant edit the post and remove the quote?  You should be able remove it, I do not know if it's because I'm in Greece
The Forum post is edited by Morena Milani Sep 15
ViXiV Technologies
Anyone who has a GitHub account, please login and Follow then add a Star for this project (Oxwall Mobile) from the most active OxWall Developer:

https://github.com/esase/mobile

Maybe we can show him that we appreciate his work?

Perhaps if we show some appreciation, he will be more interested in updating it...

The Forum post is edited by ViXiV Technologies Sep 15
David
David Sep 19

Quote from ViXiV Technologies I'm not here to work for free, I am here to help but also to make money. Oxwall is not dead just because you haven't seen a release zip in 2 years, look at commit history where Oxwall gets developed (GITHUB):

Updated 9 Days ago... Yeap... No updates in 2 years.... Wait...................................

The point is... the developers of Oxwall are gone. The project hasn't heard anything from them in forever.  It's abandoned.  You're building a patio for an abandoned property and charging people to sit on the deck while the roof caves in.  It's that simple.  Look at all the devs that tossed expensive plugins out there... then bugged out on us and NEVER offered support when their $h*t stopped working... or never worked right at all.  You're asking for us to take a 100 buck risk for someone to re-carpet over a rotting floor.  That's how I look at it at this point.  If this was 3 years ago... yeah, I would have been in line to buy it.  Now?  yeah, 100 bucks is greedy.  How do we know we can trust you to NOT screw us like so many other devs have while the founders of Oxwall sat back for 2 years and did nothing but allow the forums to go to spam?  You can all disagree with me... but you have to admit...  the mistrust is well-placed and sincerely earned. You can't blame me for feeling how I do, at this point.

dave Leader
dave Sep 19
Folks i agree with alot that has been said here on both sides of this conversation.

Remember, this will never die if WE never let it die.  We have to take action, we have to step in where others left, and we have to push the doors back open that closed on us all. 

How many users have left but have returned, lets face it folks there is nothing else out there like this and we should all realize that by now. 

The developers that left did not have their hearts it in like we thought, they did not want to work for the sale or work after the sale. They just wanted the money without wanting to give the service that comes along with the sale by default.  If you cant do both then you dont need to be in ANY business regardless of what it is.  Consumers have rights and part of those rights is the expectation of service after the sale. 

But when a new day dawns and those same developers try to repeat their one sided business plan, the door will be slammed in their face.  

Nobody is telling anyone they have to be bound for a lifetime of free updates.  But we are saying that you have to provide some kind of service after the sale to be sure your customer is happy with their purchase and knows how to use it, and that it works as stated. 

Much of the team walked away for a reason we dont know, and will probably never know. So for those of us left it is up to all of us to not let this die.  As long as we believe and we take action on those beliefs then it will never die.  

As V said - get involved!  You can wait for someone else to do it or you can take charge and find your own way to contribute.  If your sidewalk is dirty and the city wont clean it, then grab a broom and do it yourself!

Trust me please... it will survive!!  In some fantastic and wonderful ways.

The Forum post is edited by dave Sep 19
Chris_W
Chris_W Sep 19
+1 Dave

The Espionage Act of 1917 prevents Dave from saying any more ;-)

The Forum post is edited by Chris_W Sep 19
dave Leader
dave Sep 19
LOL Chris_W :)
dave Leader
dave Sep 19
I did want to add just one more thing about price here folks.  In the old days of social networking you were lucky if you had a chat room, well a working one anyway... You were also lucky if you had searchs that worked, a member matching process that worked, and dang lucky if your site was more up than down... 

My point is folks is that remember the old saying "be careful what you wish for, you might get it", well you got it. 

All of the fussing and fighting and demanding and need by users wanting more and more features has led to a tech world where a chat is default, searches are now default, matches are now default, so many things that we could never get before are now in scripts by default.  And mobile will follow... its behind i know. 

So understand that with todays tech social needs and all of the things that users just keep begging for, it has all driven up prices.  Yes i agree totally that if it was a profile display item or a simple widget that did nothing but display some data, i would not expect to pay much either.  

But the technical and time requirements to build the "defaults" of tomorrow today are not cheap.  Manpower, brainpower, endless nights reading manuals and learning technical tools and new ways of referring to things.  It all matters when it comes to price.  Time is money in programming and so is exhaustion as well.   

Its no different back in the day when we paid big money for chat stuff or other social connection features to find out half of them were junk.  But then you would come across one that was amazing.  To me that was the old flashchat... boy when i installed that i was blown away. It had bots you could chat with and bells and whistles and just tons of stuff which drove people to your site..   And then it all blew up and now flash is dead.. 

Times change folks, technology changes.  If you run a website and you want to keep up with the jones's, it cost time and money folks. You knew this going into this and if you didnt then you didnt do your research.  

Oh i did say just one more thing didn't i.. ooops ok ill stop... :) 

The Forum post is edited by dave Sep 19
ViXiV Technologies
Quote from David
Quote from ViXiV Technologies I'm not here to work for free, I am here to help but also to make money. Oxwall is not dead just because you haven't seen a release zip in 2 years, look at commit history where Oxwall gets developed (GITHUB):

The point is... the developers of Oxwall are gone. The project hasn't heard anything from them in forever.  It's abandoned.  You're building a patio for an abandoned property and charging people to sit on the deck while the roof caves in.  It's that simple.  Look at all the devs that tossed expensive plugins out there... then bugged out on us and NEVER offered support when their $h*t stopped working... or never worked right at all.  You're asking for us to take a 100 buck risk for someone to re-carpet over a rotting floor.  That's how I look at it at this point.  If this was 3 years ago... yeah, I would have been in line to buy it.  Now?  yeah, 100 bucks is greedy.  How do we know we can trust you to NOT screw us like so many other devs have while the founders of Oxwall sat back for 2 years and did nothing but allow the forums to go to spam?  You can all disagree with me... but you have to admit...  the mistrust is well-placed and sincerely earned. You can't blame me for feeling how I do, at this point.

I already have customers, am in correspondence with them within less than an hour. Had one beta test the new versions and am already working on fixing bugs that he has reported. My customers are happy and my plugins work exactly as intended with minimal issues that are already being worked out. I've created a highly advanced service worker that dynamically caches each page that loads, significantly improving load time for clients from which the high price comes. 

I've even identified some bugs in Chrome's handling of service worker quota's and reporting those. We are working on a fork and already have a bug/feature tracker with critical security and feature tickets. 

Why am I NOT going anywhere?

I have 3 Social Media Networks all tied to Mobile Apps using Oxwall that are in the process of becoming successful. I needed new features, security/bug fixes, and new plugins so I decided to become a developer. Mainly because I have knowledge and experience with over 14 languages as well as my official background being in Network/System/Solutions/Infrastructure Architecture. I also love to code and I love Oxwall, because it's the most flexible and stable social media framework. It is the the most complete solution I've been able to find and I've looked in a LOT of frameworks. I found Oxwall 2 years ago and have stuck with it, transitioning over from JamRoom and Diaspora...I have around 100 posts here in the forums and have contributed to the security of Oxwall as well.

I'm sorry that you can't afford my plugins, but please get your facts right. Perhaps in the future they will be cheaper, but not for a quite a while. The next plugin I will be creating is for full Hybrid App Support for getting in the App Stores and will be $250.
Believe what you want for whatever reasons you decide, but if you would David, please refrain from purchasing my plugins. You obviously aren't planning on sticking around and shouldn't need any new Oxwall Features.

For the record Oxwall is still being developed on GitHub and I'm getting absolutely sick and tired of pointing this out for you so please take a look for yourself!

PLEASE, Keep your incompetence to yourself if you are unwilling to observe and recognize the truth.

The Forum post is edited by ViXiV Technologies Sep 19
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Sep 19
Oxwall has killed, Owengine has probably also died! I've physically stopped all updates of Oxwall, will not work up, no matter if there's a new one. Mobile is something I will never bother with my brain. No, so far this goes well, despite some bandits on the development side of plugins.
Pages: «« « ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »