We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

You will be charged now for using Google Maps | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Matthias
Matthias May 3 '18
Hello,

google has just announced that companies using google maps API will have to setup a billing account and will be charged for the usage of their services Maps, Routes and Places. 

Here is the news: https://mapsplatform.googleblog.com/...e-maps-platform.html

It starts June 11, there is a $ 200 treshold. 

I am probably not the only one being shocked by this. 

I am probably moving to Bing and wondering if it works with oxwall, skadate and the Android + iOS Apps? (I am using skadate with all the apps). 

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer May 3 '18

They claim 98% of website owners and app owners who uses their maps API won't be affected. 

They will give you $200 USD credit monthly for free, and if your website uses lots of their resources more than $200 USD, then they start charging you. I suppose they want to start cashing out from the big enterprises. When you have a enterprise big enough you can pay a lot more, if you are not that big, probably won't affect you this changes.

But as I always say, it is good to have a contingency plan. Maybe I'm going to make a plugin for Bing Maps in next months.

Senior Developer.

Lee
Lee May 3 '18
I actually prefer mapquest - 15,000 transactions per month for free.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost May 4 '18
<<<<Maybe I'm going to make a plugin for Bing Maps in next months.<<<<

Senior Developer Such plugin would never working together with skadate software and apps plus the plugin memberx and other plugins that use the standard location plugin :( but i like the idea very much and maybe some oxwall users would like it....

You told in another topic you going create something for implement the new GDPR to oxwall, that did sound very interesting :) still waiting for that plugin or upgrade on another plugin

Ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost May 4 '18
Matthias
Matthias May 4 '18
The Problem i see is that you have to give your billing information before, so they can just charge you when you use too much data (for their terms). 

I don´t even know how many requests the maps-plugin form the oxwall store makes. Any way to find this out (without being a programmer)?

Concerning Bing, I know skadate used to have an option to choose between Bing and Google, but I think they moved to google-only, especially with the apps. 

Would be great to have an option for the oxwall/skadate websites and apps!

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost May 4 '18
>>>>I don´t even know how many requests the maps-plugin form the oxwall store makes. Any way to find this out (without being a programmer)?<<<<<

I would like to know this to how to find that information.....

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer May 4 '18

OW-Ghost!

GDPR plugin is on the way, I'm working on it right now as fas as I can.

Matthias

You can choose not to add a credit card. Take a look at this: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/user-guide/pricing-changes/

"Even though your first $200 of monthly usage is free, all Google Cloud Platform services require a credit card and billing account, to cover any amount you spend over this free credit. If you are billed, we'll credit your account for the first $200 of monthly usage. If you choose not to add a billing account, there is a risk that if your usage exceeds $200 in a given month, your Maps API implementation will be degraded or other API requests will return an error. If your estimated usage will be above $200 a month and you don't have a credit or debit card to set up a billing account, a local Google Maps Partner may be able to help."

I don't know how how many requests it makes, you probably need to ask the developer of this map plugin or app if there is a way that this plugin displays the requests counter or something like that.

I'm gonna find out this too but not right now because I'm working in my own plugins and updates.

Senior Developer.

Greg
Greg May 23 '18
Oh? I am in Europe. We need the GDPR plugin in 24 hrs as deadline is 24th. Is it ready. Urgent??
Quote from Senior Developer

OW-Ghost!

GDPR plugin is on the way, I'm working on it right now as fas as I can.

Matthias

You can choose not to add a credit card. Take a look at this: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/user-guide/pricing-changes/

"Even though your first $200 of monthly usage is free, all Google Cloud Platform services require a credit card and billing account, to cover any amount you spend over this free credit. If you are billed, we'll credit your account for the first $200 of monthly usage. If you choose not to add a billing account, there is a risk that if your usage exceeds $200 in a given month, your Maps API implementation will be degraded or other API requests will return an error. If your estimated usage will be above $200 a month and you don't have a credit or debit card to set up a billing account, a local Google Maps Partner may be able to help."

I don't know how how many requests it makes, you probably need to ask the developer of this map plugin or app if there is a way that this plugin displays the requests counter or something like that.

I'm gonna find out this too but not right now because I'm working in my own plugins and updates.

Senior Developer.