We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Chamial Oxwall Fork | Forum

dave Leader
dave Aug 13
Steve - +1  however one correction, you can sell it but you must always show the oxwall attribute.  I  have never heard of the 30% rule, that is a new one for me, do you have a resource for that ?  

If you keep any part of the oxwall code the right thing is to display their attribute anyway.  

Regarding CentOS here is a link:   https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/red_hat_twarts_oracle_and_novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging/

Steve
Steve Aug 13
@Dave I agree when I hosted an online game we still kept their name in the loop for respect of the original coders. What I was trying to convey was that it is a shame that the Oxwall team completely abandoned the Oxwall project without letting anyone know.

My hats are off to the Chamial team for fixing things that Oxwall was told about for a few years and adding things that have been needed for years.

Oxwall Türkiye

Steve, I understand what you said, but the truth is still there.

Oxwall is an open source free software, however, you should remember that the rights are under license. You can use the Oxwall system freely during a personal development phase. But it has a few rules.

The free use of oxwall is free to use the right logo and oxwall signature.

It is clearly stated that the license status cannot be changed without Oxwall Pro purchase.

In short, I can tell.

As an oxwall user, I'm an open-source oxwall user, but I've made a personal arrangement by completely isolating my system. This is because the license status is clearly stated.

CHAMİAL uploaders generally violate oxwall licensing rules, the article that oxwall grants to free use is clear. Only licensees and pro-users may remove the oxwall logo.

You can personally develop an oxwall product and even sell oxwall. You only need to follow the license rule.

Our friend says that he does not have problems because oxwall is not installed on his site. What about you guys?

People receiving Oxwall core regulations report the problem found in the oxwall forums. People who install such duplicated copying scenarios are constantly occupying the forum area. Notice that such owner sites do not provide serious help in the forum area. This is because you are involved in a 3-party study.

The decision is that you can not force anyone on this issue, but the truth is clear.

1-Oxwall can sue you legally.

2-Oxwall Forum can not receive benefits.

3-You cannot receive Oxwall updates.

4-Oxwall plug-in owners can not provide solutions to unknown problems. The reason for this is based on oxwall. Friends who update the add-ons will not be a problem. So you should consider how it will be possible when the kernel type changes.

Oxwall may have stopped the aid for a while, yes you're right, I don't object to that. But I think you should pay attention, I mean, you shouldn't get any kind of illegal updates. They must comply with the licensing rules in their work such as CHAMİAL. People get involved without knowing it.

He may not have a bad intention, the result will not change, the scenario is obvious.

In addition, we have very well-meaning friends who provide help in the forum area to friends with oxwall problems.

The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Türkiye Aug 13
Steve
Steve Aug 13
I sent a message to Skalfa LLC and asked them why they have not done and update since July 26, 2016 and why the Oxwall team is no longer supporting the project then ask if other Developers where to fix and enhance where they left off if they could remove the Powered by Oxwall.

When I get a reply if I get one I will copy and paste it here.

P.S. I never heard of Oxwall Pro.

The Forum post is edited by Steve Aug 13
dave Leader
dave Aug 13
Just FYI i have written Skalfa several times since the oxwall team left and have never had a reply from Skalfa.  So good luck buddy, i hope you get one  :)
Steve
Steve Aug 13
@Dave that is why I included this line.

When I get a reply if I get one I will copy and paste it here.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 14
Contact Emil on skype and ask him or on his twitter or facebook account or chat with him on his other website and business he runs

option number 2 there is many skadate deveopers that are active on oxwall store, try send them a message like sergey and vipdev  

hope you get a answer

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 14
Marco
Marco Aug 14

Well i have to be honest and i can not spending unlimited private money to update oxwall from my own money. I already invest enough and willing to invest more but i must find a way to be able to continue developing. Oxwall was a foundation with funds I invest my personal money for all oxwall users. So the software will be free but i thought with a kinda premium license for a small fee a year and then you get the updates 2-3 months before the update is released to the public. This way you have a choice to get updates earlier or just wait its released to the public. With premium you get also premium support. I'm almost done with negotiating for a mobile app or PWA but this cost thousands of dollars. This will probably also become available for premium members s we can keep developing the mobile app even when new features are coming and they will come. I dont want to be rich. But my personal investments can not continue forever. So to cover costs a think a premium license without mobile must be max 50 dollars a year and probably with mobile the double. But the more people helping with develop the less costs will be.

The reason why i tell you all this is that a new open source social script that is pwa or mobile ready will probably cost the same or a bit more then create api's javascript backends etc for current oxwall script. So now i read all this maybe is that a better way to follow instead oxwall.

Let me know your toughts abt license and all. If i keep running into this discussions then the drive to continue for oxwall is getting less.

I hope i make myself clear. If not just let me know your questions

The Forum post is edited by Marco Aug 14
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 15
for me invest in new mobile app software it is all about:

- design

- performance

- easy to use

- fun to use

- stand out from others

- quality (no bugs)

- dating friendly (search for people chat with)

If have all this things then you have my interest and have no problem pay 0-200 usd for 1 year.

Ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 15
Oxwall Türkiye

Marco, man, I have no doubt of your goodwill and honesty.

I'd like to advise you as a dot.

First of all, you can't get anything with oxwall because it's in the hands of someone else. Everything can change in one day. Starting a new system will not be difficult for you, you can get support from many open source entrepreneurs.

For about a year I managed to replace the oxwall base with all of it, there were many missing and negative effects. Okay, it's a great resource, but we all know that all rights are registered. You can prepare a CMS MVC structure for yourself.

But I can tell everyone a surprise story. One thing I'm pretty sure oxwall didn't stop, the activities stopped here.

Oxwall will return again with a completely original structure, with features like APK - Wep - Mac.

I understand what the Oxwall writer is doing. I give him too much credit for that. Oxwall was abused, she didn't deserve this abuse.

Oxwall developer Message: The whole structure of oxwall will be rewritten, so you may not get a long time to reply. Take advantage of the Oxwall forum area and shop. We will return with great surprises.

Rob
Rob Aug 16

Quote from Oxwall Türkiye

Marco, man, I have no doubt of your goodwill and honesty.

I'd like to advise you as a dot.

First of all, you can't get anything with oxwall because it's in the hands of someone else. Everything can change in one day. Starting a new system will not be difficult for you, you can get support from many open source entrepreneurs.

For about a year I managed to replace the oxwall base with all of it, there were many missing and negative effects. Okay, it's a great resource, but we all know that all rights are registered. You can prepare a CMS MVC structure for yourself.

But I can tell everyone a surprise story. One thing I'm pretty sure oxwall didn't stop, the activities stopped here.

Oxwall will return again with a completely original structure, with features like APK - Wep - Mac.

I understand what the Oxwall writer is doing. I give him too much credit for that. Oxwall was abused, she didn't deserve this abuse.

Oxwall developer Message: The whole structure of oxwall will be rewritten, so you may not get a long time to reply. Take advantage of the Oxwall forum area and shop. We will return with great surprises.

Sorry Oxwall Türkiye, but at least 2 years ago we heard this promise from Skalfa when we finally had contact with a Skalfa employee.If one is working on a whole new platform, it would be much more encouraging for the users and developers if Skalfa reports this itself.!Because you are in direct contact with them, please tell them this because information about this is much more positive.!The fact that Chamial has taken the responsibility to improve the platform, is apparently not really appreciated.?What Chamial has done is a big plus for us.!Perhaps Skalfa should come into contact with Chamial, so that the platform is improved and prepared for the future.?
With regards,
Admiraliteit Imedia
Blaire
Blaire Aug 18
I feel like I am definitely the minority here but I have viewed this situation from the beginning as stealing.

I want to support good developers and good work, but I also do not want to support theft. There has not been enough posted that shows me the "creators" of this have legal authorization to do this.

You can't just take somebody's work, update it, and fully claim it's become your own. Adding a couple more stars to Vincent van Gogh's Starry Night doesn't make it yours. He is dead though, he won't be updating his artwork. And? That does not give rights to edit it and pretend it is your own. I understand the notion of wanting to make something better, and I do support that notion--with authorization of the people/persons who actually own the original work.

I stopped purchasing from the Oxwall store because I am very unsure about supporting developers who may be effectively stealing by supporting unethical practices such as potentially this situation. I don't know enough about what is going on and who may have authorization for what, but I know that I am very uncomfortable with all of it. Nobody has posted their authorization to do this so I am very hesitant to support it in any way.

I am probably one of the few buyers on Oxwall that generates some developers revenue. I have purchased 83 plugins from Oxwall. I have spent hundreds of dollars, maybe over $1,000 at this point. The only expensive plugin that I never bought (but had wanted to) was the mobile app options that were once available, but I had some issues with those that I don't care to discuss publicly. Anyway though, I have bought a few plugins that were well over $100 each. I have bought some plugins from at least 2 developers just because I like those developers (yeah, I never used the plugins, I just wanted to give money to the developers for their works).
So, when I say that I've stopped buying from Oxwall store over this situation then I feel like maybe it is important for some developers to take notice.

It's important that things I have created on my sites are things that I own. It is difficult when I see that another site owner has come and copied my hard work, making minor changes to my English, and claim it as their own. I have legal rights to sue that person because they are stealing from me. Stealing is unethical. This is why I am uncomfortable with this situation.

I know Oxwall has not been updated for some while. I know it has many issues, and many important features that it lacks. That does not mean it is free to take, update, claim at your own, and distribute under the guise that it is different or that there is an official updated version.

I know it could be better, but stealing it so you can make it better does not resolve the issues. It adds on an entirely separate moral issue for many of us who want to support the work of one another. If Oxwall is dead and so unacceptable that you feel it isn't usable in it's current state then it's best to simply create your own--from scratch, just as any other person would be required to do with other types of content, media, or software.

I honestly do not understand why this thread was allowed on the forum of Oxwall in the beginning unless there has been explicit authorization given..? Which is okay with me but it has not been made clear.
If I were a part of the Oxwall team I suppose I would have removed this long ago and said that if somebody wants to talk about their "spinoff version" then they need to do that on their own site. But that's just my feelings based on what I see. Maybe there is authorization? Please post it, if so. Please.

I feel like people who come here for support for this "spinoff" is a telling situation too. Apparently, they are not getting support on the spinoff's platform or they're being told they should come to Oxwall forums to make requests of developers who developed plugins for the original code that is legally available.
That sounds so rude. To steal somebody's original work, update it, but require users who use the updated version to seek support from the original creator's support area.

Broken promises do not justify stealing.
Missing features do not justify stealing.
The capability to create "updates" to something does not justify stealing it.

I guess what I am mostly saying here is that...where is the authorization from the Oxwall rights holder(s) that says you are being permitted to add onto the original code and relabel it to distribute it separately? If that is available then I am okay with supporting this. If that is not available then why is this situation acceptable for anyone, especially developers who know how it feels to be stolen from?
Marco
Marco Aug 18
Oxwall License

Oxwall software is licensed under Common Public Attribution License 1.0 (full text of CPAL 1.0 here).

Human-readable CPAL translation would read like this:

• This software is open source and can be freely used, modified, and distributed.
  • This software can be used for commercial purposes.
  • Attribution to the authorship of this software in the source code files can not be waived under any circumstances.
  • Attribution to the authorship of this software on the site frontend in the form of labels and hyperlinks can be waived with permission of the original author. Contact us if your project needs that.
    Read our official position
Hellena
Hellena Aug 18
Why you say your software is based on oxwall? How percent of code is new to say you are not oxwall with a few extra code lines?

Attribution to the authorship of this software on the site frontend in the form of labels and hyperlinks can be waived with permission of the original author.

Why did you removed the oxwall label(image) and added yours only?

Blaire
Blaire Aug 19
Again, you can certainly and legally add stars to Vincent va Gogh's beautiful artwork but it does not make it your own. You do not gain the right to claim it as your own just because you splattered some paint on somebody else's work and "improved" it. You would still need to let people know that it was originally his base artwork and not simply re-label it as your own. You are not understanding how copyright works, I think. You do not gain the right to re-label without clear prior authorization--legal agreements.

Just like people who have stolen my unique articles from one of my domains. Just because you correct my English or wordspin 2 or 3 lines does not mean you can claim that work of art as your own. I do not give them permission to claim it as their own and remove my author annotation from the work. It is stealing, even if they change around a handful of words or add in a line that "improves" the content.
The Forum post is edited by Blaire Aug 19
dave Leader
dave Aug 19
Without proper agreements and license, if something is "derived" from something else it is still the property of the original author.  Look at the music legal battles now days over just a few notes in a song and the original artist is winning those battles.  Something to think about for sure before venturing into the pond. 
Rob
Rob Aug 19

People, there is still the possibility that you will and can continue to work with the outdated version of Oxwall.!

You do not need to use the Chamial Upgrade.!

The choice is entirely free.!

However, we can appreciate this upgrade, and that is our choice.!

With regards,

Admiraliteit Imedia

Blaire
Blaire Aug 19
I do absolutely understand that it is choice, but I was just choosing to express my concerns with this spinoff project since someone else had brought up their concerns as well.

I don't know anything about the claimed removal of the Oxwall label on the spinoff or if they are honestly trying to relabel the base code entirely without disclosing it's built on top of the pre-existing Oxwall work. I do not know what authorization may have been gained but not announced, if any financial gain is involved, or if any third party is checking the code to ensure safety is maintained since it sounds as if it may not be a legally registered business product.

I really do not know these things yet, and I do not care to know unless it's certainly clear that these things are being done ethically and legally. I understand I have very strong opinions that include copyright laws and ethical business practices, and I understand that plenty of people do not share my viewpoints in such matters.

I just wanted to state that I have chosen to hold back on financially supporting developers here right now until I resolve concerns about these spinoff codes. I'm unsure if other buyers have made this choice but it may be beneficial to keep it in mind as the Oxwall forum is used to announce, discuss, and support other software. I am only one of potentially many who have these concerns.
The Forum post is edited by Blaire Aug 19
Rob
Rob Aug 19

Someone has to take the step, to take the outdated platform to a higher level.!

Oxwall is not really active we think, it seems that they have not been active for 3 years.!

If Oxwall is working on a new platform as claimed, then Oxwall could announce this here on their blog page.

Nothing has been communicated on the blog page since mid-2016.!

We are satisfied with the basis of Oxwall, but also satisfied with the upgrade from Chamial.

Oxwall chooses not to let anything be heard.!

Chamial offers it and also for free, people can support Chamial through a donation which is reasonable because it takes a lot of time to upgrade the platform.

Seeking a profit is not an issue either.!

Chris_W
Chris_W Aug 19
I would have thought if the Oxwall developers had any problem with the Chamial fork, Marco/we would have heard about it by now, as it has been out there for some time now.
The Forum post is edited by Chris_W Aug 19
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »