We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Comments on desktop site | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Development » Themes
Catkin
Catkin Apr 25 '19

Hello all!

My first post here. I've been working hevily with the Simplicity theme to make it work on a mobile view better, without using the rather plane "Mobile View" that Oxwall has.

Most, possibly 80% of the site is now very easy to run and display on mobile just now. But there is this one strange thing that happens.

On a mobile view of less than 700px~ I beleve the comments on posts... Simply disapear! When using Inspect Element I can still find the comment on the page and there is still a space where that comment should be but it does not seem to show WHY it suddenly disables that element? 

I have checked the CSS and tried adding in over rides for display options and then disabling parts of the CSS too. It seems to make no diffrence? 

Unsure how baked this is into Oxwall to not show the comments on small displays but it should work if I can get them to display.

The website is here: https://furryinter.net and if your interested in the theme and improvements made to the Simplicity Theme to work on mobile I do plan to relice this theme later down the line along with a "Light Theme" version.

Thank you for anywone who can lend a hand with this!

The Forum post is edited by Catkin May 20 '19
Catkin
Catkin Apr 30 '19
Still looking for a solution to this issue :(
Catkin
Catkin May 20 '19
Bump!
Oxwall Germany Club
Oxwall Germany May 20 '19
Topic was moved from Bug reports and troubleshooting.
JB TECH
JB TECH May 25 '19

Interesting. Trying to find out why, but I still haven't found anything that could help yet. Perhaps it's an interference with some scripts from another plugin active on the page?

Catkin
Catkin May 27 '19
Thanks JB, let me know if you can find out what's going on here! Still scratching my head
JB TECH
JB TECH May 27 '19
I'll try in my spare time. The elements aren't disappearing in the console when I test it live. There's gotta be a javascript or css collision somewhere affecting it.
Catkin
Catkin May 27 '19
I've explored the CSS, although most likely not exhaustively. This level of jank may be Javascript? If you touch the comment button on mobile it takes you to the bottom of the page and brings up the mobile keyboard but that it. 

Its a strange one I will give you that!

AppXprt
AppXprt May 28 '19
Do you have a link where we can this and I can check a few things?

Check for @media tags in the CSS defining CSS for different pixel sizes and make sure each has the same inclusions:
https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_mediaquery.asp
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@media

I don't know if this is the issue, but it's possible if they're using @media to adjust the CSS for different screen sizes...look for @media and max-width: [Pixel Size]

This is used like:
@media screen and (max-width: 600px) {

Other than that, I would say it's like JB Tech says and possibly a conflict with another script / CSS.

Send a link where this is happening?

AppXprt
AppXprt May 28 '19
Really hope you release this work as a new theme! Let us know if we can be of any assistance... 
JB TECH
JB TECH May 28 '19

Quote from Jamie I've explored the CSS, although most likely not exhaustively. This level of jank may be Javascript? If you touch the comment button on mobile it takes you to the bottom of the page and brings up the mobile keyboard but that it. 

Its a strange one I will give you that!

CSS won't affect elements functioning different. It would all be purely visible. It's gotta be Javascript related. Have you installed any new plugins recently? Or added a new script/library to the headers/footers?
Catkin
Catkin May 29 '19

Well, to be honist I am unsure what plugins it could be! I noticed this bug some time ago now so a fair few plugins have been installed in this time. I will fireup a new Oxwall instance and add the plugins to it one by one to test when the comments vanish.

Catkin
Catkin May 29 '19

I have just relised I can change the theme back to the defult Simplicity theme and see if the comments apear then! I will have a shot at doing that once I am free.

Thank you JB Tech and AppXprt for your support so far. 

Norias
Norias Jun 14 '19

Removing
.ow_tooltip .ow_tooltip_body {    position: fixed!important;

from your customised css bring back comments, on my tests

Catkin
Catkin Jun 14 '19

Quote from Norias

Removing
.ow_tooltip .ow_tooltip_body {    position: fixed!important;

from your customised css bring back comments, on my tests

I'll give that a shot today!

Don't know how I missed that one lol

Catkin
Catkin Jun 14 '19
so yes, @Norias.

That does fix the comments problem but now the menus on the top to reach profile options are not 100% width. Which is very frustrating! 

I will need to look at this again :/

Norias
Norias Jun 15 '19
Need to be logged-in to see that.

Can you give me acces to your TestAccount, in PM ? I will have a look

Catkin
Catkin Jun 15 '19
Thank you very much Norias, I have contacted you by DM just now!
gemmalyly
gemmalyly Aug 4 '22
It's great to see such detailed information. The article shared in great detail what I was looking for. Thanks for these helpful sharing nerdle. What a great website
ayzal
ayzal Oct 17 '22
Good Question. Just want the same functionality. Also see my site and give suggestions. I hope I will find the best I want. Thanks. 
The Forum post is edited by ayzal Oct 17 '22
Pages: 1 2 »