We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Newsfeed dashboard slow as hell. | Forum

Marcus
Marcus Sep 29 '19
Folks I'm not sure to what extend the creator tested newsfeed pluging but Ive got 250+ friends and dashboard newsfeed takes forever to load. On the other hand it loads quite fast on profile.

I said many times before such content needs to be loaded dinamically so it not interfieres with the page load. 
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Sep 29 '19
dave Leader
dave Sep 29 '19
Do you have the site set on dev mode, that will cause it to be slow.
Marcus
Marcus Sep 29 '19
Nope Dave as I said newsfeed on profile page loads fast. Well that makes sence since it's not getting filtered by friends nor followers list only by userid. The more friends you get the slower it becomes. 
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Sep 29 '19
dave Leader
dave Sep 29 '19
Do you have everything in customize maxed as far as how many records show?  That might slow it down too. If you have access what does your server show is taking up the bandwidth?
The Forum post is edited by dave Sep 29 '19
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Sep 30 '19

CRON NewsFeed has been removing content for more than three months.

But it's not "friendships" that slows down, it's the followers, and that's also saved by the NewsFeed plugin. The Friends plugin has nothing to do with this.

Please show us a screenshot of the record totals of your NewsFeed plugin database like this one, to see if there are too many. This corresponds to a site with 18,000 members

As you will see, there are 100K activities and 300K followers and it is working correctly

The Forum post is edited by Patricia Zorrilla Sep 30 '19
Marcus
Marcus Sep 30 '19

Hi guys, @Particia the DB data is quite small. @David what do you mean by "Do you have everything in customize maxed as far as how many records show?"?

When you have no friends or maybe just a few then dashboard feed loads fast. Again profile feed is not affected!!!

As I said i have 250+ friends I suspect there has got to be a bug that causes the script to loop though each and every one of them casing the delay. I thing there is a value of friends when reached will case it to crash.

dave Leader
dave Sep 30 '19
I was trying to see better what the load request was, what i meant was under the main page customize this page, under each gear wheel feature you can choose how many records to show for that feature, do you have that maxed out (ie 10 records)....   
Marcus
Marcus Sep 30 '19
I have tried with 5 but it's the same. Currently it is set to 10. Its interesting why it slows down as you get more friends.
Paul
Paul Oct 3 '19
I have exactly the same problem, when activate newsfeed on dashboard it turn the site very slow , but on profile page it runs normally. Any one found a fix to this ? Can we run a cron to delete old feeds? Any ideias?

Thanks

Marcus
Marcus Oct 3 '19
I bet we have just discovered a bug but it seems nobody cares about it.

I am sure newsfeed ain't ready to handle hundreds not mentening htusands of followers. 

It runs pretty good with only a few followers but when you have as I said before some decent amount of followers it stalls and that's understandable case if you have let say 300 followers just imagine the amount of data that needs to be pulled on each load and I'm not just talking feeds but users data, permissions and stuff, that can't be done in under a second plus this takes up a whole lot of real estate. 

Profile news feed fetches last 10 o 20 or whatever activities so it's fast. 

The Forum post is edited by Marcus Oct 3 '19
Paul
Paul Oct 3 '19
Quote from Patricia Zorrilla Bcn

CRON NewsFeed has been removing content for more than three months.

But it's not "friendships" that slows down, it's the followers, and that's also saved by the NewsFeed plugin. The Friends plugin has nothing to do with this.

Please show us a screenshot of the record totals of your NewsFeed plugin database like this one, to see if there are too many. This corresponds to a site with 18,000 members

As you will see, there are 100K activities and 300K followers and it is working correctly

Thanks Marcus, but This member (Patricia) seems have some cron to remove old entries. It helps ?
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Oct 3 '19
lol..... this was "dave" and "tammy" arguing 3 years ago about with "ross" and many others involved. "tammy" was kicked for abuse behavor and "ross" or any others was not interested fix this.

funny see it comes back same issue over and over again in many years....

i wounder what "dave" have to say about this , because it is a very old topic i feel ...and i know "tammy" was always talk about exactly this issue over and over again....i not have "friends" plugin installed on my dating site so i can not tell anything about this problem. and "follow" users i think not possible on my sites and apps....

BUT i have newsfeed plugin installed on dashboard and not see any slow down issues

so maybe it is the friend plugin that slow down things or the follow feature....

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Oct 3 '19
Marcus
Marcus Oct 3 '19
On my website users gotta be friends in order to be able to interact. This means that users have hundreds of followers each. I'm alone have almost 300 friends. Profile feed loads just fine but dashboard I'd say takes up to 5 or maybe even more secs.

Getting rid of dashboard newsfeed page loads fast.

My hosting is 4gb ram with 2 cpus so server is not the issue. 

Marcus
Marcus Oct 3 '19
Gonna check the query that colects the follower userids im interested to find out how it users those id's
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Oct 3 '19

There are two tasks of the newsfeed plugin for cron, they are very clear in your cron.php file.

I have already written on this same topic that it is NOT the friends plugin that is responsible. The friends plugin makes when you add a friend you follow him, and if you delete the friendship deletes this tracking.

(Add: I have a plugin that restores traces if you reinstall newsfeed)

Therefore, activating or deactivating the plugin friends does not notice anything.

Traces are noted in the ow_newsfeed_follow table.

Make a copy of this table, empty it and see if the speed varies and you restore it.

On my website I have 309,159 followers and it works very well. How many followers are in yours? And in ow_newsfeed_action_feed how many records do you have? I 82,464. I asked about this data on your websites and only Marcus replied that there were few.

I have newsfeed set to display 20 news per screen and to see 24-hour activity you have to see about 30 screens, I don't know what Marcus will mean by "little activity".

Postscript: OW-Ghost, I was also in those days. What memories! Tammy was absolutely right in what he wrote, but he wasn't very delicate. Too bad Ross, who left all his posts forever, I learned a lot from him.

The Forum post is edited by Patricia Zorrilla Oct 3 '19
Marcus
Marcus Oct 3 '19
Thanks Patricia follow table is not causing this. Is the amount of followers a user has. The more you have the slower it gets. I have 300 and it's slow. 1 or none fast. 
Paul
Paul Oct 3 '19
Quote from Patricia Zorrilla Bcn

There are two tasks of the newsfeed plugin for cron, they are very clear in your cron.php file.

I have already written on this same topic that it is NOT the friends plugin that is responsible. The friends plugin makes when you add a friend you follow him, and if you delete the friendship deletes this tracking.

(Add: I have a plugin that restores traces if you reinstall newsfeed)

Therefore, activating or deactivating the plugin friends does not notice anything.

Traces are noted in the ow_newsfeed_follow table.

Make a copy of this table, empty it and see if the speed varies and you restore it.

On my website I have 309,159 followers and it works very well. How many followers are in yours? And in ow_newsfeed_action_feed how many records do you have? I 82,464. I asked about this data on your websites and only Marcus replied that there were few.

I have newsfeed set to display 20 news per screen and to see 24-hour activity you have to see about 30 screens, I don't know what Marcus will mean by "little activity".

Postscript: OW-Ghost, I was also in those days. What memories! Tammy was absolutely right in what he wrote, but he wasn't very delicate. Too bad Ross, who left all his posts forever, I learned a lot from him.

Thanks Patricia for this info. I don't know if I understand (I am not a programmer). So the cron.php listed inside newsfeed plugin folder should be run. And what it will do exactly.

public function __construct() { parent::__construct(); $this->addJob('deleteActionSet', 60); // 1 hour $this->addJob('deleteExpired', 7 * 3600 * 24); // once a week $this->service = NEWSFEED_BOL_Service::getInstance(); $this->commands['changePrivacy'] = 'changePrivacy'; $this->commands['updateFollowPermission'] = 'updateFollowPermission'; $this->commands['update3500CronJob'] = 'update3500CronJob'; $this->commands['deleteActions'] = 'deleteActions'; } private function getActionInactivePeriod() { return 1; }

what this function do exactly? This much be run in what time interval?

Paul
Paul Oct 3 '19
Quote from Marcus Thanks Patricia follow table is not causing this. Is the amount of followers a user has. The more you have the slower it gets. I have 300 and it's slow. 1 or none fast. 
I agree. Make some tests and also noted that when a user have more followers the slower newsfeed stay on dashboard , is a fact!

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Oct 3 '19
so how many followers you can have before the newsfeed start bee very slow?
The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Oct 3 '19
dave Leader
dave Oct 3 '19

Quote from OW-Ghost lol..... this was "dave" and "tammy" arguing 3 years ago about with "ross" and many others involved. "tammy" was kicked for abuse behavor and "ross" or any others was not interested fix this.

funny see it comes back same issue over and over again in many years....

i wounder what "dave" have to say about this , because it is a very old topic i feel ...and i know "tammy" was always talk about exactly this issue over and over again....i not have "friends" plugin installed on my dating site so i can not tell anything about this problem. and "follow" users i think not possible on my sites and apps....

BUT i have newsfeed plugin installed on dashboard and not see any slow down issues

so maybe it is the friend plugin that slow down things or the follow feature....

Ghost, first of all you act as though i can do something about this, i am not a team member i am a volunteer and i have no influence on Oxwall development.  So whatever i think about this is moot. 

Second talking about tammy being kicked has no relevance whatsoever to the topic.  What is relevant is the fact that myself, ross, and tammy spoke of this before.  Adding in the fact that she was kicked does not matter to the conversation.   She was kicked for good reason after using extrerme profanity and being very abusive to others.  But again that has nothing to do with the topic so we should probably not go there any further. 

Third - all of us regulars (you remember who they were), tons of us got together and went over all of this with ross in our list of fixes we needed, remember that fiasco.  And this fix was part of that.  If Oxwall decided not to fix it then thats on them, i hold no responsibilty for that.  

As it stands now, if someone can figure out a fix then fix it, do a plugin, whatever you wish to do about it.

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 3 '19
Pages: 1 2 »