We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Photo uploads are not working. | Forum

Carol Schumacher
Carol Schumacher Nov 25 '19
I have the standard 'photo' plugin installed.  It had worked fine until my hosting provider changed servers and included php version 7.  
Options I can't follow are uninstalling it or my members will lose all their photos on the site.
I thought about installing the plugin 'Advanced Photo' but it says you have to have the 'Photo' one first.  So my question is, since the upload isn't working will I still have the same problem after paying for and installing the advanced plugin?
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Nov 25 '19

Yes. You will have the same problems. The simplest thing is that they configure for you on the PHP 5.6 server.

Another option is that you download from Github the latest version of the Photo plugin https://github.com/oxwall/photo and install it manually, because there are updates but they don't update them in the store and you have to update them manually. If you don't know how to do it, we can show you the steps.

It is possible that other plugins also give problems, so it is best that you use PHP 5.6

dave Leader
dave Nov 25 '19
+1 Patricia   

Just curious here what version of PHP 7 were you on 7.1, 7.2?

Carol Schumacher
Version 7.2
Carol Schumacher

Quote from Patricia Zorrilla Bcn

Yes. You will have the same problems. The simplest thing is that they configure for you on the PHP 5.6 server.

Another option is that you download from Github the latest version of the Photo plugin https://github.com/oxwall/photo and install it manually, because there are updates but they don't update them in the store and you have to update them manually. If you don't know how to do it, we can show you the steps.

It is possible that other plugins also give problems, so it is best that you use PHP 5.6

Since they already changed over to PHP 7.2  I guess I'll have to do it manually and yes I'll need help with that, thank you.
dave Leader
dave Nov 25 '19
Or try 7.1, as i remember this was the only issue using 7.1

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/62281

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 25 '19
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Nov 26 '19
Since they already changed over to PHP 7.2  I guess I'll have to do it manually and yes I'll need help with that, thank you.

https://wiki.oxwall.com/install:plugin

Attachments:
  step1.png (100Kb)
  step4.png (27Kb)
  step3.png (9Kb)
  step2.png (103Kb)
dave Leader
dave Nov 26 '19
Nice job patricia, thanks for helping her with the tutorial :)
Carol Schumacher
Carol Schumacher Nov 26 '19
Fun and interesting to do this manually.  Thank you, however uploading photos still does not work, so something is corrupting or withholding it from uploading a photo.
there is another plugin called 'Advanced Photo' that I thought of but it says you have to have 'photo' installed already.  However if 'photo' doesn't work properly the 'advanced photo' probably won't work either.  
I am wondering if this plugin will replace 'photo' or just add a new feature to it?
 'Photo Viewer like Facebook, G+ 
Carol Schumacher
Should I need to delete the old 'photo' plugin first, because I didn't.  I assumed the new one would replace the old one.
Carol Schumacher
Bluehost hosting provider can take my site back to a version 5, however someday soon they will be completely going over to version 7, thus as I try to fix my photo plugin to work with version 7.  otherwise my site will be screwed.  Also if I might say, backgrounds using the html codes also don't work with version 7.   Any opinions or ideas?
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Nov 26 '19

All the plugins you mention are complements to the "Photo" plugin and do NOT replace it. Do not add more plugins related to photos if "Photo" does not work because it will complicate the problem and find the solution.

"backgrounds using the html codes also don't work with version 7" I don't understand this, maybe I get lost with the Google translation.

Carol Schumacher
I had my hosting provider change us back to php version 5.6 and 'photos' still doesn't work entirely.  I even installed it again just to be sure.   I haven't tried the backgrounds yet.
Carol Schumacher

Quote from dave +1 Patricia   

Dave, I found out they had me on version 7.0, so I had them go back to 5.6
dave Leader
dave Nov 26 '19

Quote from dave +1 Patricia   

Dave, I found out they had me on version 7.0, so I had them go back to 5.6

OK it might not be a php version issue then if it is still not working, check to be sure that the server meets these requirements (right side of this page) 
https://developers.oxwall.com/hosting

if so then are you using cloudflare at all?

if not open up the console when you upload and see if there is any error showing?  If you dont know how to use the console let us know and we can show you. 

You are using oxwall 1.8.4 correct?

What happens when you try to upload - does the screen show anything?

Just in case here is a thread regarding one upload issue, it might help... 

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/50758

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 26 '19
Carol Schumacher

No cloudfare.  I called my hosting provider found that out.  I also sent the requirements from the right side of that screen in an email to him.  He will get a higher up to get with me and I also told him about Mod Security error message when I try to put a background on a profile page and that is suppose to be off.

I am using 1.8.4
the screen when trying to upload a photo looks just like the one in the forum  dark with little white line that acts like it's thinking about it, but never ends.
I read thru the forums.   also the 777 issue I told my provider about.   I don't know how to go into cpanel and work with files, never have before.  I'm hoping to get this fixed because my members are getting restless.
Dave, I appreciate you so much,

Carol

dave Leader
dave Nov 27 '19
Your quite welcome :),  we have all been beginners at one time.  Keep us posted on what your host comes back with.  Also there are good videos on youtube regarding cpanel tutorials.  

I am assuming that you ftp everything up to your domain, ftp is not secure and it will make your domain admin life so much easier learning cpanel.  It is very user friendly and IMO the easiest of all the panels out there to understand and work with. 
With the holidays comming up find some quiet time to learn how to access and use cpanel, your production time will result in so much more getting done.  It is well worth the time to learn it.

Carol Schumacher
Carol Schumacher Nov 27 '19

Thank you Dave,

Yes I use ftp.  My hosting provider changed me to a shared server and that's when these issues arose.  The 777 thing confuses me, can you explain this at all?  And is this something I can go into the cpanel and fix myself?

dave Leader
dave Nov 29 '19
Yes you can go to cpanel and fix it yourself.  You also dont have to log into your webhost in order to get to cpanel, you can log into cpanel directly. 

Typically cpanel address is   https://example.com:2083/ ;     

2083 is the secured port 

replace example.com with your domain info

Then you use your cpanel username to log in, if you have ever seen one of your error messages, the cpanel username is on there   example   /home/username/public_html

that username is the one you use to login to cpanel, that is why you never want to include that name in your error data that you share online in the forum, just replace with xxxxxx

Ill try not to get too keep here so i dont confuse you. Permissions are broken into three sections - read, write, execute   (who can read, who can write, and who can execute)

777 permissions just means read, write, execute full permissions 

normal permissions are 644 for files and 755 for folders and those permissions help keep the public from getting into the files and folders on your server.

but some folders have to be 777 because the script itself has to write to the server. Such as the ow_userfiles folder, when you upload a image or a plugin needs to save data to the userfiles folder the server has to access that folder so we set it as 777 permission. 

There are some great youtube videos on cpanel file and folder permissions, you should take some time to check those out. 

I hope that helped ya... 

Dave :0)

dave Leader
dave Nov 30 '19
Here is the cPanelTv link for you will lots of help videos. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClV3pzB3Sl_evL367Po-gww

Pages: 1 2 »