We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to allow all domains for embeds | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Dec 22 '19

Hello, how do you allow all domains to post videos/blog embeds, etc..

Yes I understand that for security purposes allowing all domains is generally a bad idea but since iframes are isolated it really isn't a concern.

And about objectionable content, the site I want to do this on allows all content even if it's objectionable in the interest of free speech.

I have tried:
http-://*/*
https-://*/*
*.*
*.*.*
but none seem to work.

(the dashes in the first 2 things i tried are not in the actual list, its to stop the page from treating it like a link)

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas!

The Forum post is edited by Tyler Hoban Dec 22 '19
Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Dec 24 '19
Bumping this as nobody seems to know.
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Dec 24 '19
I'm sorry I don't understand your question, maybe it can be explained more broadly, or maybe you can give an example of what doesn't work to try to help you.

Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Dec 26 '19

Quote from Patricia Zorrilla Bcn I'm sorry I don't understand your question, maybe it can be explained more broadly, or maybe you can give an example of what doesn't work to try to help you.

I want to allow videos from all domains to be embedded in the video function.

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Dec 26 '19

Tell me the URL of a video that is not displayed correctly for testing.

Or the embedded code, which doesn't work for you

Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Dec 26 '19
Quote from Patricia Zorrilla Bcn

Tell me the URL of a video that is not displayed correctly for testing.

Or the embedded code, which doesn't work for you

You don't understand, I want to allow all domains. Not just specific ones.
Catkin
Catkin Dec 29 '19
Hay Tyler.

Far as I know this is not possible, you will need to find all the alternative sites that you want to allow. It is best to do it this way as it gives you much more security and control of what users may upload videos of.

You could try looking at some of the other paid video plugins on the store, I believe there is one that allows users to upload their own video files. This will use more space understandably!

Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Dec 30 '19
Quote from Jamie Hay Tyler.

Far as I know this is not possible, you will need to find all the alternative sites that you want to allow. It is best to do it this way as it gives you much more security and control of what users may upload videos of.

You could try looking at some of the other paid video plugins on the store, I believe there is one that allows users to upload their own video files. This will use more space understandably!

Yes there are plugins that allow users to upload content directly but that is something we specifically want to avoid for legal reasons. 

There is almost no liability on siteowners for external content that has been embedded. However hosted content is a completely different story.
David
David Dec 30 '19
This is something I would love to know the answer to as well.
Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Jan 1 '20
Quote from Chris_W

In ow_plugins/video/classes/ is a file named video_providers.php in the pre code commented information is the name and email address of the creator

/**

* Video service providers class

* @author Egor Bulgakov <egor.bulgakov@gmail.com>

* @package ow.plugin.video.classes

* @since 1.0

*/

Maybe if you contacted him, he could maybe come up with a solution.

I sent an email, but no luck.
Attachments:
  Screenshot_20200101-042726.png (425Kb)
Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Jan 1 '20
Quote from Chris_W That's a disappointment, but worth a shot. There are users on here that may know the answer, but there are a lot that don't come on the forums very often these days, so a solution may be a long time coming. The only other solution I can suggest is to ask one of the current developers on here if they can modify the plugin now you have permission to do it.
I know I have permission to modify (of course). I just wouldn't know where to start tbh.

My php is incredibly rusty at best. 

Waiting it is.. Thanks for the help