We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Let's Make Oxwall Great Again. | Forum

dave Leader
dave Jun 10 '20

I guess until i find out if that is him or not you can test the changes, then send them to me and i can post them in a master manually. 

I will send a message to find out.

Can someone please post a link to the one gitHub version that we think should be oxwalls... thanks

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 10 '20
Bob Bob
Bob Bob Jun 10 '20

Do you mean the official oxwall github repo?

https://github.com/oxwall/
dave Leader
dave Jun 11 '20
Thanks Bob Bob... yes
dave Leader
dave Jun 12 '20

No there is no preference for developers, all developers plugins are being looked at which takes time and they too will be suspended if required.

I cannot talk openly about patricias plugins as it is a business matter, you are more than welcome to ask her yourself and she can decide to tell you or not.  I will remind you that she is with the program and 100% committed and positive for the change.

Oxwall Germany Club
Oxwall Germany Jun 12 '20
Dave +1
dave Leader
dave Jun 14 '20
So i am guessing that the items i posted are the only critical items that need fixed since noone has added anything else.
dave Leader
dave Jun 19 '20

At the moment i am trying to figure out a regex to handle the conversion of array() to array[] on the global project.

I have already changed via atom the simple array(); to just []; scriptwide

Now the challenge is to change the non empty arrays that have elements in them.

here are two versions with very similar results

this excludes anything starting that has _ before array such as a php funciton is_array for example

DOES NOT WORK RIGHT  if the name is $isarray =  it changes it to $is[] 

[^_]array\(([^()]*)\)    <----------this is out

this excludes anything at all before array, again such as a php funciton is_array for example
\barray\(([^()]*)\)       

[$1]      replace with  this

Seems to have worked i did this last night..

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 24 '20
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Jun 19 '20
Hey Dave, now that you are from Oxwall team, I formally ask you, can we have a PWA skdt forum now?

There is lots of things that need to be fixed/added in the core, I don't remember all of them but right now I recall one of them was bugging me in the past in one of my customer's website: 

-Cron jobs overlapping. When the cron was running in a website with thousands, it takes more than a minute sometimes, the cron was overlapping causing a massive slow down on the full website.

Senior Developer.

dave Leader
dave Jun 20 '20

SD,

i remember when that issue was brought to light and i agree it needs to be worked on.  One issue is that some admins try to run large sites on shared hosting. They dont have the proper resources to power the requirement.  Also some those shared hosts also dont allow 1 min crons, they only allow 5 min crons as a minimum.  A production Oxwall site should really never be operated using a 5 min cron.

Oxwall is at times too cron heavy and this is something that i have been thinking about for some time now but not sure how to classify it on the list of todo's because there is so much involved with its operation.  The only way to relieve the cron footprint is to create utilities that admins can run on a nightly basis that do specific jobs when the site is not busy, or by streamlining the cron process to do more tasks faster.

I dont know what the answer is on this... But it is something important to look at.

In regards to the PWA/skdt forum.  If you want a Oxwall PWA forum section i can do that i believe, but it has to be kept about Oxwall and the developement of Oxwall PWA..

If that is satisfactory to you, let me know.. :0)

dave Leader
dave Jun 20 '20
Should Oxwall implement full use of HTML accesskeys?
dave Leader
dave Jun 20 '20

Chris,

i was able to come up with a regex to find all the img tags with no alt tags. However we cant just add  alt="" globally like that, it dawned on me that each one (and there are 94 i believe) has to be done individually with proper content, static or dynamic.

94 times may not sound like much, but if each one is dynamic then that is going to be a huge undertaking to accomplish.   But i know it has to get done...

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 20 '20
dave Leader
dave Jun 21 '20
SD so you do still want a PWA Oxwall section in the forum?
dave Leader
dave Jun 22 '20
I have an idea folks,  if each one of us takes two core plugins and adds mobile we can have them all mobile very fast..  If you want i can draw up step by step mobile creation steps so that everyone does the basics the same?   Then i can try to get it submitted to oxwall.
The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 24 '20
Dev Forward
Dev Forward Jun 23 '20

Namespaces

In PHP 5.3+ the backslash \ symbol is used in namespaces. It is the start symbol to indicate a namespace and also serves as a separator between sub-namespace names.

See official documentation about namespacing.

Opcache

Additionally in PHP 7.0+ some functions are replaced with opcodes by OPCache, which makes these specific functions run a lot faster. However this only works when the functions are placed in the root namespace. See this discussion about this topic. So besides namespacing, the \ indirectly also affects code optimisation.

The following native functions benefit from this effect:

"array_slice"

"assert"

"boolval"

"call_user_func"

"call_user_func_array"

"chr"

"count"

"defined"

"doubleval"

"floatval"

"func_get_args"

"func_num_args"

"get_called_class"

"get_class"

"gettype"

"in_array"

"intval"

"is_array"

"is_bool"

"is_double"

"is_float"

"is_int"

"is_integer"

"is_long"

"is_null"

"is_object"

"is_real"

"is_resource"

"is_string"

"ord"

"strlen"

"strval"

-------------

Answer taken from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4790020/what-does-a-backslash-do-in-php-5-3

------------

dave Leader
dave Jun 23 '20

Excellent, thanks DF  :0)   I have to admit namespaces is something i dont know much about... never really used them.  From what i remember awhile back trying to gather some imformation on them, they are nice but its also a very strict environment.  Ill have to reread about them... thanks :)

OK that explains why the new code did not remove the error, i did not use the whole guzzle install using namespaces, i just replaced that one part of the code to test...  im surprised i did not get an error for that..

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 23 '20
Alexander
Alexander Jan 15 '21

Hey all. I hope I'm not late for the party. :)

I'm currently actively developing an oxwall site and, sadly, I'm occasionally forced to make modifications to the oxwall core. Yes, I know that modifying the core is an extreme measure, but sometimes oxwall just can't do what needs to be done. Sometimes an event is missing, sometimes it causes a notice or a warning, sometimes styles are hardcoded into templates.

I have around 30 core modifications right now, and, if you're still "making oxwall great again", I would be willing to contribute by submitting them to github for review and possible inclusion in the next oxwall version.

To give you a recent example - I'm working on optimizing SEO right now, and the core forum plugin is just the worst with SEO. Its problems are:

1) The links to the first page of a topic in paging contain "?page=1", and the plugin doesn't have a redirect to the default topic URL. This creates an additional page like "https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/66811?&page=1", which is a full duplicate of the page "https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/66811". And full duplicates are bad for SEO.

2) Speaking of forum paging, what's up with that "?&page" stuff? It's a valid URL, but, as far as I can see, search engines also treat it as a separate page, which creates another set of full duplicates ("?page=2" and "?&page=2") for all pages.

3) Search engines recommend having all URLs in lowercase, and I added a htacess rule to enforce that, which breaks the forum plugin. The reason? The forum plugin apparently uses camelcase in its action urls, like "forum/addTopic/", "forum/lockTopic/", "forum/getPost/", etc.

So, let me know if you're still making oxwall great, and whether you'd like my input and/or help.

P.S. I can see that the forum on this site has some additional functionality (Insert image, Insert video, Insert HTML) that isn't found in the latest version of the core forum plugin. Is it achieved by another plugin, or is it a modification of the core forum plugin that wasn't released to the public?

P.P.S. It's ironic that this thread was created by Senior Developer, because his emojis plugin caused more problems and bugs for my site than any core plugin. :D Still the best plugin in its class though.

dave Leader
dave Jan 15 '21
It wont do any good to send the updates to Github, noone is doing anything with them that i am aware of and we dont have access to that or to any background data at all.
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jan 15 '21

There is currently no repository on GitHub for OxWall development.

I have created a website https://owspain.com where I am compiling all the patches, plugins and themes in the way they were published and some, already repaired. Little by little I am installing and reviewing them, commenting, updating and repairing.

All those that have disappeared from the store you have them for free there, you can also buy some for payment and from developers who have not shown interest in owspain.com you will only find advertising.

Regarding the core, I have published some improvements and I am collecting many more to release an update.

I would like to have you there and incorporate everything you can contribute.

Alexander
Alexander Jan 15 '21
Thanks for the heads up Patricia, I have applied for you site - it says "Your account is pending approval" now.

It's very sad that there is no active public GitHub repository for Oxwall. But are there any active Oxwall forks? Do they have GitHub repos? Where do you commit your own core improvements and updates?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »
This topic is sticky