We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Working with the plugin "Video Instant Messenger". | Forum

Rob
Rob Jun 18 '20

Does anyone have experience with the "Video Instant Messenger" plugin.

Does this plugin still work or are there problems with it, but will it not be updated?

What are the advantages and disadvantages, for example.!

Before we want to purchase this plugin, we first want to know whether it actually works properly.

Developer responses don't seem to come according to the reviews anymore, so that's a dead end.

Any info is welcome....

Marcus
Marcus Jun 18 '20
pls read customer feedback. i eas thinking about it but i changed my mind after reading those reviews. actually i created pluging for my website based on same technology that lets users send out audio messages to each other.

Rob
Rob Jun 18 '20

We have also looked at the reviews, and there were 2 that got it working and are satisfied with it.

Unfortunately, we do not know whether this is true.

There are no other video chat plugins unless it goes through another website.

Surely there must be someone who can get it working or develop such a video chat plugin.?

Marcus
Marcus Jun 18 '20
keep in mind that this pluging although uses webrtc still needs stun server which aint free. 
Rob
Rob Jun 18 '20

We know that it is not free, but operating websites is not free.

The demand for video chat is currently high, only here on Oxwall there is not much discussed unfortunately.

Perhaps this question from us encourages developers.

dave Leader
dave Jun 18 '20

The main reason IMO that there are no video chat plugins is because even with webrtc which simplifies the process, it is still very complicated to code.   There are third party API's but many admins want to host their own data for privacy. Meaning admins dont want some other company reading and doing whatever they want with their users chats, that is where the challenges are.

I dont think a developer is going to do such an involved plugin and then sell it for $20 each.  But i hope i am wrong.

And yes +1 Marcus also very expensive to run.

Marcus
Marcus Jun 18 '20
i spend a lot of time trying to learn this and Dave is right there is just too many downers using it.

jo mackleston
jo mackleston Jun 18 '20
How do i install on my site please
Marcus
Marcus Jun 18 '20

here is how my audio chat looks like based on same technology as video pluging ur interested in. 
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Jun 18 '20
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Jun 18 '20
We are working on instant video plugin, it should be ready on next month.

Senior Developer.

Rob
Rob Jun 18 '20

Folks, we didn't have the illusion that it would be easy LOL.

But Marcus, only audio is not what we were looking for.

We have thought of ArrowChat but there is no plugin for Oxwall right now unfortunately.

According to our info, this chat software includes video, however we feel that this software is still connecting to their website.?

And you're right Dave, to place data of members at other companies, we find that a little invasion of privacy even though these companies say that the data is completely safe with them.

Rob
Rob Jun 18 '20
Quote from Senior Developer We are working on instant video plugin, it should be ready on next month.

Senior Developer.

Okay SD, that would be very nice.

Although we probably need to switch to another server.?

We thought Oxwall doesn't really describe that in their info about this plugin.

The Forum post is edited by Rob Jun 18 '20
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Jun 18 '20
The new plugin will be compatible with any server, you will not need to make any changes. It will work out of the box and it will be compatible with the default messages plugin.

Senior Developer.

Rob
Rob Jun 18 '20

Quote from Senior Developer The new plugin will be compatible with any server, you will not need to make any changes. It will work out of the box and it will be compatible with the default messages plugin.

Senior Developer.

This would be perfect, at least we look forward to it.!
dave Leader
dave Jun 18 '20
Great news SD, when you release it i would like add it to my simplechat plugin.
Joseph
Joseph Jun 19 '20

Quote from Senior Developer We are working on instant video plugin, it should be ready on next month.

Senior Developer.

look forward to that.
dave Leader
dave Jun 21 '20
Topic was moved from General Questions.