We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

No Oxwall Development - Its time to decide! | Forum

dave Leader
dave Aug 24 '20

Ken  The problem is that many things have changed internally in the script, there are parts that need a total rewrite.  Those sections and old ways are like a cancer, its all fun now but in time the cancer will show up.  Its already happening but its so slow that many people dont see it, but myself and others do.

There are times it is better to start over with a new home rather than just refurbish the one you have.  Everyone has to make their own choice, and whatever that is i will support it. :)

Ken
Ken Aug 24 '20
For some reason GitHub oxwall is on it and like cancer it can be beating and refurbished can be as good every script has have bugs and issues but do we make scion because Toyota is still using the same technology with different body styles since 1996 or we make This oxwall thing more simple and work on what works it potentially so much oxwall can do with just what it has some people mostly beginners will go thru the hardship of this script but the more you get into it it’s easily customizable to any current script but it’s time running on some whatever oxwall needs to focus on app development is my only question but as time come technology gets simply and adapting is necessary so it’s really what you make of it.
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Sep 2 '20
So many questions:

First and most important: May I have the list of plugins that you did remove from the store?

Who will own the source code?

Is open source an option or are you closed to this idea?

Do you need help for free or are hiring devs for your new project?

Are you considering using other technologies too or PHP, MySQL and Javascript only?

Are you going to use a framework or build everything from scratch?

Are you going to use smarty or another web template system?

Did you already start your project?

I have many more questions, but I think this is enough for start.

Senior Developer.

dave Leader
dave Sep 3 '20

Hi SD,

If you send me a PM and give me an email i can send you an invite to the project discussion.

I dont want to go in depth here about the project because then the topic becomes about the project and that would cause issues.

I do not have a complete list of plugins that were suspeneded, i have attempted to get one from Oxwall because i knew people may be asking for it. I am not able to get this data.  And since we dont have access to the code i cant generate it myself.

I had started a list regarding what i was doing, the stuff i did.  But no one seemed interested, i ask in the forum and i got no requests for it at all, not even 1.  So i stopped adding to the list.  You have all had 4 years to get a list of all those plugins before this happened.   

With regards to the source code of Oxwall, the Oxwall Foundation owner (Emil) will always own the code forever unless he decides to sell it or give it away, in which i have had no reply from him at all on that subject.

With regards to the project i will keep this very short because i would rather not discuss it here.

Who will own the source code? 

Durangodaves LLC

Is open source an option or are you closed to this idea?

No it is not an option.

Do you need help for free or are hiring devs for your new project?

Yes volunteers

Are you considering using other technologies too or PHP, MySQL and Javascript only?

PHP MySQL and JS

Are you going to use a framework or build everything from scratch?

No framework, from scratch

Are you going to use smarty or another web template system?

No smarty, back to direct style coding

Did you already start your project?

Yes

Once i can get you over on the project discussion i can be more open about it... :)

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Sep 3 '20

I respect you as a person, I respect your position as a Team member, I respect your work, I know you are a great developer, I barely say what I think to avoid conflict, but this topic is different so I hope not get banned for saying what I think:

I wanted to be part of this new project, but I do not see how do I fit on it, it is hard for me to understand the logic of this new project.

People working for free on your project and you will own the source code and you will license it and release it as closed source, the developers get nothing and have no rights over their own code and you get everything for free. It doesn't sound right to me.

Sorry, from my point of view that's slavery. It is not my intention to be rude, I have no other words to describe it that's how it is called in my country, maybe I'm wrong and you could explain to me like if I was a child to understand. You can edit this if you think is wrong.

With that little info I think is better for me to make a hard fork of Oxwall, even if I have to keep the "powered by" link at the bottom. Or am I missing something here on why is your project better for us if we volunteer to work for free on your project, will we be part of the board of your company or something?

Else, will I get more sales of my plugins? How many sales will you guarantee that I will get the first year after releasing the first version? Do you have what's needed to get enough customers for the project to survive?

Will I be able to publish plugins for your CMS even if I do not vulenteer to work for free?

If it were being released with a MIT license, all this questions would be out of the table.

Regarding the list, don't worry I will get it somehow.

Last question.

Will we have a way to recover the free items that were removed from the store? If so, when? I'm worried that now that you have started your new project as competitor, this never happens and the removed items will be gone forever, that's not good for the Oxwall community. I keep thinking that you mean well when try to keep the store clean, but this new project of you and this post makes me worry about so many things.

Senior Developer

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Sep 3 '20
dave Leader
dave Sep 3 '20

I have never ever ever suspended anyone for disagreeing with me, or having opinions different than mine.  To this day i have no idea why people think that of me as i have never done so, and would never do so.  The only time anyone gets suspended is if they break the forum rules and do not adhere to warnings.  So you (or anyone else) never has to agree with me, say what you need to say but just abide by the rules.  I am not a dictator, i am a babysitter lol :0)

This is exactly why i did not want to discuss the project here, because it leads to more and more questions.  Yes you are misinformed or jumping to conclusions about alot of things.  PM me with an email i can use to send you an invite to the discussion and i will spend time with you to clear things up. Much of what you said in your reply is not true, so allow me to explain.. But not here.

I am also 100% dedicated to Oxwall until it goes dark.  I would never let any other project effect my performance here.  I will still take care of users, help them, and manage the forum and do my other duties.  Just because i am working on something else does not mean that i shy away from my duties.. I am still here 100%. 

I do not want a conflict of interest which is why i have another place to discuss the project away from Oxwall.

Regarding Oxwall data, without Emil  you will probably never get the data you need with regards to anything having to do with plugins.  We dont have access to the code nor is there any hidden search query we can use to pull the data.   He has all the access and that is where it stands. 

I respect you as well in many ways. I wish you had let me chat with you in our discussion area before posting those questions, but it is ok. I am sure once we chat for a bit you will feel better about things. 

I am not going to just use the email on your account because i have access to the name, that would be wrong. That is why i am asking you to give me permission by sending me an email address in PM.

The Forum post is edited by dave Sep 3 '20
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Sep 6 '20
dave you need respect people and not use them for you own benefits. 

developers can not own the code and make people work for you for free it is totally crazy.

Anyways you can do what ever you want but i feel this shows again how much you want bee boss over everyone and enjoy it to very much.

Please more respect for they who will help you create code. you need share the ownership that is at least little you can do for atract people working in your project.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Sep 6 '20
anyways im out from oxwall/skadate and no longer use it. so i wish you all the best guys
dave Leader
dave Sep 6 '20
Ghost once more you seem to be jumping to conclusions with minimal facts.  But i wish you the best too. 
The Forum post is edited by dave Sep 6 '20
AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 6 '20
This community is nothing more than a platform for useless arguments.

Bye Ghost, it was nice knowing you...

The Forum post is edited by AppXprt Sep 6 '20
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Sep 8 '20

Quote from AppXprt This community is nothing more than a platform for useless arguments.

Bye Ghost, it was nice knowing you...

Nice to know you to AppXprt ...and everyone else that is still left and read this...7 long years ..
AppXprt
AppXprt Sep 8 '20
+1 to Chris_W for dropping that bomb and blowing all of our minds with the true intention behind this community all along...
Rob
Rob Sep 8 '20

After having contacted Skalfa a few times about the enormous negativity in this forum and chaos in the store, we have the idea that indeed a little is done by the owners of the open source community software, but they communicates to us that they make adjustments to the software (commercial and open source) from time to time.

Their Email Message:

Hi,

As an umbrella company for Oxwall and SkaDate, Skalfa LLC is moving forward.
Unfortunately we cannot be as active as a few years ago, especially on the open source community side.
The recent global situation forced us to tighten our focus and prioritize commercial development - we are tweaking both platforms behind the scenes, working on several new things and perform development services on demand for bigger clients using our platforms.

Let us know if you are interested in our services.

Regards,

Skalfa.

Perhaps something has happened, but is not really noticeable.?

We would find it really worthless if this part of Skalfa were to be discontinued, purely because the software is the best community software anyway and from a business point of view because we have invested a lot of money now in plugins and themes.!!!

With regards,

Admiraliteit Imedia

David
David Sep 8 '20
"The recent global situation forced us to tighten our focus and prioritize commercial development - we are tweaking both platforms behind the scenes, working on several new things and perform development services on demand for bigger clients using our platforms."

That's Bull$h*t Talk for "We're not gonna do squat for the Open Source people, but if you pay us enough, we might tweak things here and there for the Big Guys".

Hey, it's theirs do do whatever they want with it. It's their right.  It SUCKS... I think it's a bad direction to cut people off who once donated to them... but the ride is over... and I accept that.

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Sep 9 '20
"The recent global situation forced us to ..."

The OxWall crisis started in 2015, this is not "recent"This forum may even disappear. It's useless. There will be no new plugins as a consequence of "the new store rules", Mr. Skalfa is not interested in what we say here and he is not interested in anyone helping to improve the kernel.If you are interested in OxWall or have a website with many members, you are interested in gathering the emails of the developers of your plugins as a precaution. In each plugin, in the plugin.xml file you have it.

Jose
Jose Sep 9 '20
Dave, all my support and help (in what little I know) for you. Go ahead champion, I'm with you 
The Forum post is edited by Jose Sep 9 '20
dave Leader
dave Sep 15 '20
Thank you for your support Jose and everyone else.  It is appreciated and many thanks. 
Asoka Janaka
Asoka Janaka Sep 20 '20
I am all excited about this new project. I trust you Dave totally. I am sure you will come up with a good project for all of us to use. Hope you will release something soon. This way we can all join and give you our inputs on how best to take it to the future. I am sure the developers of the Oxwall plugins will join when they realise that they are all flogging a dead horse now. 
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Sep 20 '20
Oxwall works great with php 7.2 here. And I do not think 7.2 will be phased out for about 13. 14 years! And considering I'm 62, I do not bother to think about it that much. https://scandibook.com/index  

But of course I support all new usable projects that are future-oriented. Your idea is of course very good. And if you can convert the oxwall plugin to the new project, the transition to this project will also be smoother. I wish you good luck with this. 

When it comes to the License for such a project, one should take a look at the Gnu Public License. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html 

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Sep 20 '20
dave Leader
dave Sep 21 '20

Thank you very much Ketil.   Just FYI  php 7.2 will only receive security updates until Nov of this year, then it will be end of life (deprecated) as well.

https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »