We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Scandibook update; Sunday 11.10.2010. Forever goodbye. | Forum

Ken
Ken Oct 18 '20
Curious to know if it’s over why do you bother why don’t you just leave already and take off with your project why waste your time here knowing it’s over what the purpose of you continue to moderate when you can U just use that time to start your projects.
And I think Its you they not releasing it to because of your bad decisions and vision for oxwall I know I would not... And I say that because ever since you took position Oxwall got worst at least before developers were more encouraged and motivated.... Now it’s very confusing to see that oxwall is sinking but still got available plugins active “the messengers you say but why would They let you delete something that they could’ve done their selves read between the lines  
The Forum post is edited by Ken Oct 18 '20
dave Leader
dave Oct 18 '20

First i do this because i am a nice guy and i still care about the users here.  Its not easy for me to just walk away after so long.

The reason things changed after i took over is because i worked hard to finally get an answer to the question that everyone was asking.  Up until that time everyone had hope that someday the owner would start developing it again.  I firmly requested an answer from the owner on behalf of the users here.  He ask for a few days to decide and that was months ago and has never replied to me since.  So to me that is writing on the wall that its over.  So i let everyone know what happened and they too arrived at the same conclusion. Even the partners and clubs closed down. 

Things changed because i was able to find out for sure about development.  Maybe i should have just let everyone keep wishing, but thats not fair to anyone. 

The reason they did not do it themselves is because the owner is busy doing other things, and oxgermany retired.  So basically by the time i got to be moderator the ship was already mostly sunk in deep water.  Right now i am just a babysitter, i was told that i was not required to spend any time here but again that is not fair to any of you.. So i still do it.

Believe me when i say that there have been many times that i felt like just walking away and letting it go to dust.  But i could not look myself in the mirror if i did that as its not fair to any of you. 

I hope that answers your questions.

Ken
Ken Oct 18 '20
A nice guy huh... But you took down free good plugins instead of building you destruct...
since you been the moderator what good came out of oxwall..... Everybody left cause of you and your screw up ways so what he never answered why don’t you close down oxwall for no response but Instead delete plugins of others that doesn’t respond when the plugins are for free it doesn’t make sense....Your action to control says otherwise NotHing you did since your position made oxwall better or even good again...
you say you cannot leave like that imagine how others feel to hear you are punishing developers for what you think is right instead of helping the problem you add to problem how bout working with the ones who cares and asking them what they want for Oxwall what can be done.... that’s someone that’s trying to be a nice guy but Skafa is making a good living off oxwall core and I know they would be happy that nobody take the game from cause Dave was sent for that reason I suppose..... Turn oxwall into a turnkey system to consumers trying their best to eliminate the free system so the paid system to be the main focus it’s obvious Oxwall.com have no shortage or sign of quitting so tell the nice guy tale to the blind ones the pattern of your position is nothing new under the sun
dave Leader
dave Oct 18 '20

Yes they could be using me as the pawn, but i dont know that for a fact so i just believe they would not do that until i know for sure.

I think you have the wrong conception of what free means in the software world and you are not alone, many have the wrong thinking. 

Free just means free to use and nothing more.  It does not have anything to do with ownership.  Owership still resides with the developer.  You have a copy to use and that is all it is, nothing more.   Technically, unless you get permission from teh developer, you cannot modify, change, improve, distribute, or call it your own.   That is what free means. 

So to say "i have a copy and can do what i want" is technically and legally and morally wrong.   I was given a set of rules to work with, regardles if free or paid.  If the plugin had errors, had complaints, did not support currrent release, and/or if the developer has abandoned their store, then we suspend the plugin after 30 days notice. 

To me that was a very fair approach, considering that some of those plugins went on for years with complaints, abandonement, no support, and the developer would just collect the money and never lift a finger to help anyone.  That is not good business.  So we solved the problem by suspending the plugin and stopping the flow of cash to them.

And here is how much they cared, they didnt!  None of the longer term abandoned developers even lifted a finger to say "save my plugins i need money"  they just didnt care.  And you want to let them off the hook by continueing to support and distributing their trash.  That i dont not understand! 

Also dont forget that both patricias project and my project will have similar plugins.  So the features that you like you can still get.

Ken
Ken Oct 18 '20
Free to use it’s not mine of course I used it for my site I’m not ever going to claim as my own but I’ll will use it and if the developers not available to help I’ll must fix it myself but I’ll won’t ever sell It as my own although it’s free and if u making similar plugins that’s illegal lol even if the information to create any plugin is right there in front of you I made a contact user plugin Myself that I’ll never sell or give away but I learned how to do it by these free plugins Techniques (see it for yourself)

with credits you can contact each user thru email Without signing in the user must pay credits to see quest message cool right

that’s was my problem I would study functions to create something new.... 
The Forum post is edited by Ken Oct 18 '20
dave Leader
dave Oct 18 '20

You did a good job :)   I often advise people new to coding to do a contact page as a first project.  Its easy to do, it involves all parts of web coding - css, html, js, and php.  It is a good project to start with..

One suggestion is i would replace that old outdated captcha with the at least recaptcha2.  The one you are using has been beaten and hacked many years ago and it cant be trusted anymore.   If you add recaptcha2 you dont have to download the whole library like some people do, it just takes up space for no reason, just use their api and use their service link.  That way its always up to date and you never have to worry about replacing files.

I would not even worry about recaptcha3, its too new, it has alot of people confused, and its buggy and intrusive.  recaptcha2 is widely used and good to use unless you want to do your own question catpcha.  Which might be a good project for you. You can just build a php table with the questions and then choose them at random when the page loads.

The contact page that i use for my projects does  it all, it blocks bots, it limits attempts and then bans them for 15min if they try too many times.  It verifies email is a real live dns email address, it blocks script and it has both a question captcha and recaptcha2 and much more.

So if you decided to do it and need some pointers let me know ill be glad to get you in the right direction... :)

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 18 '20
dave Leader
dave Oct 19 '20

I understand your point of view Chris.  But one thing we have to think about is that the developer only gave access to the public via the store, not some other website.  Sharing it on our forum is one thing, but passing it around will nilly from anywhere else other than the oxwall domain can lead to issues because the agreement was between the developer and oxwall. Once they both discontinued the agreement then the item is void IMO.

Consider this point of view. What if some developer had malicious code in their plugin that no one has found yet, you would be passing around a plugin and infecting others, thats not a good thing either.  That is the main reason for the rules, they are not percieved, they are factually proven to help prevent hacking and malicous behavior. 

This is why many of them were taken down, they were written in a way that left the door wide open for intruders, plus the other issues.  I will bet you that any of those free plugins you have i can point out exactly where the door is open, im sure patricia has seen alot of that as well as SD.

If i had known that Oxwall was just placing me on babysitting duty at the time i might have pressed them to take a less assertive approach. Because if the ship is sinking who cares if the windows are wide open or not.  But at the time when i was given these instructions i too thought "well its about time, they are finally going to come back and start up again on this project"  but that was not the case...  Hind sight...

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 19 '20
Pages: « 1 2