We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

We dont want albums | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
ES C
ES C Nov 23 '20

Hello

Is there a way for users to upload photos without having to create / chose an album? 

If I hide the album drop down menu using css and "display:none", when I try to upload a picture it says (album) "required". 

Thanks

Thanks

The Forum post is edited by ES C Nov 23 '20
Attachments:
  Clipboard02.jpg (65Kb)
  Clipboard01.jpg (42Kb)
dave Leader
dave Nov 27 '20

Hi, i dont think you can without custom coding or a plugin.  If you dont have php experience, i would suggest to disable the photo's plugin (if you cant find or code your own plugin)  and just add a open source image gallery as a external gallery.

If not that then you could create one album and just have everyone upload to that one album.   I have not tested this but you might try that.  its been awhile since i messed with the photo plugin.

ES C
ES C Dec 5 '20
OK many thanks, will try to do as suggested.
ES C
ES C Dec 6 '20
Thanks guys. 

I dont see the option to limit to only 1 album (I'm using Skadate, could that be reason?). 

Anyway, I asked the folk at Skadate and they suggested that I ask here.

There's only the option to set the maximum number of photos per album and the max number of photos per user...as shown in the attachment.

Attachments:
  7 photos per album per user.png (86Kb)
ES C
ES C Dec 8 '20
Hi Chris

How would I go about creating just one album? Thanks.

Quote from Chris_W You can create just one album and have users use that, but there is no way to set that as the default, users could still create albums.

You could try creating a default album and then disable the button to create a new one so users are forced to choose the default one.

ES C
ES C Dec 8 '20
Hi Dave, how would I create just one album?  Thanks
Quote from dave

Hi, i dont think you can without custom coding or a plugin.  If you dont have php experience, i would suggest to disable the photo's plugin (if you cant find or code your own plugin)  and just add a open source image gallery as a external gallery.

If not that then you could create one album and just have everyone upload to that one album.   I have not tested this but you might try that.  its been awhile since i messed with the photo plugin.

Oxwall Türkiye
Oxwall Türkiye Dec 9 '20

The last album page title selection specified for this can be added to the automatic selection.

However, this situation can create problems.

All users will have an album title with the same name.

The album selection feature always tries to choose the recommended genre.

Providing people with a more functional site shows that the site is professional.

You can select the option you want with coding support other than the existing photos plugin options.

ES C
ES C Dec 9 '20
OK, tried that as admin. I am able to create an album called "Photos" but that album is only visible to my admin user, so I still don't understand how to create one album for everyone to use. 

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding you here....

Quote from Chris_W In yoursite.com/photo/viewlist/latest  'Create Album' give it a name. then remove the option to create any more albums by removing the button and dropdown option using custom CSS.  Dave will probably be able to help with that. Unles they use a blanket submit button for everything, then I'm not sure what you can do.

ES C
ES C Dec 9 '20
Sorry, I dont understand what you are saying, specially regarding the part below:
Quote from Oxwall Türkiye

The last album page title selection specified for this can be added to the automatic selection.

dave Leader
dave Dec 9 '20

In your privacy change the view my photo albums to everyone.  This will allow everyone to see your album.

However, unfortunately i just tested the photo plugin and i did not see any way to bypass the creation of an album or to make one site album for everyone.. You will need to create a plugin or shop the store to see if there is one available. 

ES C
ES C Dec 9 '20
Ok got it, thanks.
Quote from dave

In your privacy change the view my photo albums to everyone.  This will allow everyone to see your album.

However, unfortunately i just tested the photo plugin and i did not see any way to bypass the creation of an album or to make one site album for everyone.. You will need to create a plugin or shop the store to see if there is one available. 

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Dec 9 '20

Yes, of course, the idea is that there is only one album with a fixed name and that the user is not asked where they want to save the photos they upload.

But it is not enough to hide the fields, you have to create this album automatically when you upload the first photo, and delete it if you delete the last one. Each album also has an entry in a table where it is stored which photo is the album cover, and there are also other tables such as the featured photos.

You also have to modify the presentation of photos because when you visit the photos of a profile, it first asks you which album you want to see it from, but there is another tab that shows all the photos, so you also have to remove this small menu and show you the photos directly.

You also have to keep current photos and modify all current album records.

If all this is not done correctly, or it will be poorly presented, or in the long term it may give an error if some record, another plugin or something refers to a photo or album that does not exist and the whole system would be unstable.

In short, yes, it can be done.

The best thing about OxWall is that you can do anything you want. But this is delicate and I think you will be the only one who would buy a modified plugin like this, so the development cost has to be paid in full.

The question is:

Are you willing to pay for these custom modifications?

I can do it for you for 100 USD, write to me at admin@owspain.com if you are interested.

The Forum post is edited by Patricia Zorrilla Dec 9 '20
ES C
ES C Dec 11 '20
Hi Patricia

Thanks for your message. This is something I'll need to look into next month; I'll let you know then. 

Thanks again
Quote from Patricia Zorrilla

Yes, of course, the idea is that there is only one album with a fixed name and that the user is not asked where they want to save the photos they upload.

But it is not enough to hide the fields, you have to create this album automatically when you upload the first photo, and delete it if you delete the last one. Each album also has an entry in a table where it is stored which photo is the album cover, and there are also other tables such as the featured photos.

You also have to modify the presentation of photos because when you visit the photos of a profile, it first asks you which album you want to see it from, but there is another tab that shows all the photos, so you also have to remove this small menu and show you the photos directly.

You also have to keep current photos and modify all current album records.

If all this is not done correctly, or it will be poorly presented, or in the long term it may give an error if some record, another plugin or something refers to a photo or album that does not exist and the whole system would be unstable.

In short, yes, it can be done.

The best thing about OxWall is that you can do anything you want. But this is delicate and I think you will be the only one who would buy a modified plugin like this, so the development cost has to be paid in full.

The question is:

Are you willing to pay for these custom modifications?

I can do it for you for 100 USD, write to me at admin@owspain.com if you are interested.