We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Privacy & Permission- Role Management Problem-No Effect (STATUS SOLVED) | Forum

tracy
tracy Jan 19 '13
i see what you are saying, this does seem to be an inherent bug that oxwall has....it will not uncheck the free user, and will not completely change over user roles.....i made a new user role called flagged, and only gave it a view blog post permission, yet the new member that i changed over to flagged still has all the same permissions that the free user role has....very troubling indeed...
Unique
Unique Jan 19 '13

Quote from cit27 I think this is the oxwall system...need to be changed in the next update...
 Please try to create in your site what i explain in the replay topic of 12:
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/7897?page=1#post-38675

I made what you said ...the new user role member that i changed over ...still has all the same permissions that the free user role has....

I am not expert about script/sofware but i think this is aconfusing user roles system
The Forum post is edited by Unique Jan 19 '13
tracy
tracy Jan 19 '13
what's the use of being able to create user roles if you can't change them? makes no sense.
Unique
Unique Jan 19 '13
Yes this is what i said a confusing user roles system or what u said above an inherent bug....the meanings is need to be changed in the next update
cit27
cit27 Jan 20 '13
Tracy, Unique, thanks have tried
Gtranslated
Alia Team
Alia Jan 21 '13
Guys, I went to check what you have reported.

Here is what I did.
1.I made sure that the user I am testing with is not a Moderator. Let's call this user "James". So James is not a moderator on my site and he registered when 'Free' user role was set to be default one.
When, as an admin, I go and try to change his role I see following page:

James, is assigned a "Free" user role and can post videos at this stage.  If at this stage I assign him "Underflagged" user role, he will have 2 user roles. Defalt+ new one. Oxwall works so that + to - gives +: so if one user role doesn't allow something, and another one allows, system will allow the action. So if I don't want James to be able to post videos I have to remove "Free" role from the list of his roles.

2. As a site admin I go to admin panel>user roles>and make another role a default one:

3. Then I go back to "James" profile and try to change his role again. I now can remove "Free" role from the list of Jame's userroles. I assign him "Underflagged" user role which doesn't allow posting new videos.

4. Now James can not post videos on my site.

If now, as an admin I will go and check another user I will see following page:

Now the system has removed "unremovable" default user role and I don't have to go through the step #2 again and again. You need to change the default user role only once in admin panel. Now I can go back and make "Free" role a default one again and in future it will no longer be "unremovable".
cit27
cit27 Jan 21 '13
Aliaa..could you do it to my site if i give you the password...
I am Giving up now...
cit27
cit27 Jan 21 '13
in my site default users role has all member permission (Warking well) (for new register member). I woudl let the new user registration can post (has all member permissions)...
but olso i want theplugged user role cant post or only can view page and read message
The Forum post is edited by cit27 Jan 21 '13
cit27
cit27 Jan 21 '13
OK SOLVED
Alia Team
Alia Jan 21 '13
Glad to hear that! How did you solve the issue on your site?
cit27
cit27 Jan 21 '13
By Following your great instruction using my bad english
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/7897?page=2#post-39324
The Forum post is edited by cit27 Jan 21 '13
chris usti
chris usti Jan 4 '14

is there a fix for this?  

logged in as moderator, trying to go to user to change their role, I get "You are not allowed to view profiles"
Alia Team
Alia Jan 5 '14
Chris, can you provide screen shot of following page: sitename.com/admin/permissions/moderators
Richard Beltran
Richard Beltran Jul 19 '15
I have the same problem after I updated my oxwall to1.7.5? is there any solution available now? thanks :)
ross Team
ross Jul 20 '15
Have you followed Alia's instructions: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/7897?page=2#post-39324 ?
Pages: « 1 2