We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

poster's avatar replaced by avatar who liked | Forum

Bobby
Bobby Feb 22 '13
OK I did it.
A couple people 'round here owe me a beer for this - if you're ever in Milwaukee, WI USA :)

I will now tell you how to stop the avatars from switching. But first, my disclaimers:

1. oxwall might be unhappy with me for doing this
2. I may have broke something I'm not aware of
3. I have no idea what I'm doing
4. I take no responsibility for breaking your site
5. Remember EXACTLY what and where you did this - if something is broke, you can fix it

Go to: /ow_plugins/newsfeed/components/feed_item.php
approximately line 159
delete this line:
$override = $this->displayType == NEWSFEED_CMP_Feed::DISPLAY_TYPE_ACTIVITY && $lastActivity !== null;

I actually commented out that line with /* and */ as opposed to deleting it. This way, the line is still there, in case I broke something or otherwise need the line back.

Please. I am no expert. In the future, I can't be held accountable if you do this. You must remember what you've done, in case you need to undo it.

I've tested it. If userAAA comments and or likes userBBB's post, userAAA's avatar will NOT replace userBBB's avatar.

The most recent newsfeed activity is will STILL be moved to the top and users are STILL notified, via the notifications box, at the top of the page.

I have to say thank you to Daniele :) her cheering inspired me to carry on. Thank you.

*Edited to show a screen grab
The Forum post is edited by Bobby Feb 22 '13
Attachments:
  no_switcheroo.jpg (40.36Kb)
Bobby
Bobby Feb 22 '13
@ risha you are in luck. My original fix broke the notifications. But my latest fix (above) seems to work well.

@ Unique - I love you, man. You know I do. with all due respect, this idea is already in the ideas for oxwall, at least two separate times :)
Daniele
Daniele Feb 23 '13
Bobby, you are the best!!!
Unique
Unique Feb 23 '13
@Bobby
i like 1 to 5 disclaimers
it looks like I will be left behind in studying oxwall (quote from Gtranslated)
risha
risha Feb 24 '13
Great Bobby. Thanks a million.
And it does not break a thing, in fact has repaired the break.
Alia Team
Alia Feb 24 '13
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Daniele
Daniele Mar 6 '13

Hi Bobby, I found a mistake...

1) The most recent newsfeed activity is will STILL be moved to the top --> OK

2) Users are STILL notified, via the notifications box, at the top of the page --> WARNING (in notifications message $STATUS is blank...for example I have this notification --> Bobby likes your status "")

Probably we have to improve this fix...Bobby helps us!!!

Bobby
Bobby Mar 6 '13
As far as I know, "feed_item.php" has nothing to do with notifications. Have you changed anything else? Anything in Ajax?
Did you try putting the line back in feed_item.php?
Attached is a pic of my own notifications. It shows herme likes my status: "borrrrrrrriiiiinnnnnng."

I am a far, far cry from being a coder or developer. I only manage to hack up something someone else has put a lot of hard work into.
I actually shouldn't even be posting how to do stuff because I don't know what I'm doing and I'm new here.
Example: I forgot to mention my "fix" will be lost when oxwall is updated to next version. When oxwall goes to version 1.5.2 or 1.6 or 2 (examples) any code modifications not involved with a plugin will be lost.

You have to remember what and where you did a code mod so you can undo or redo it.

Daniele if you can put the line back in and you still have a problem, you'll know it wasn't the deletion of the line, that caused the problem. Then you can seek assistance from "bug reports" or... ? If it is the reason why, I don't know why the status is still shown for me (see attached) but you'll have to leave the line in.
The Forum post is edited by Bobby Mar 6 '13
Attachments:
  notification_status.gif (9.71Kb)
Daniele
Daniele Mar 7 '13

Hi Bobby, I don't make other changes...If I put the line back in feed_item.php notifications work well.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks

Daniele

DavidZenry
DavidZenry Apr 18 '13

Quote from Bobby Aliia I find this answer unacceptable! Nah, I'm just messin' with ya. I see what you're saying and now that you mention it, it is logical. It's logical but t's driving me crazy :) because I'm what they call "a visual person."
I spent ten years learning the gobblety-guk of HTML and PHP on the same page so I could make things the way I wanted them, aesthetically. Now I find oxwall and I love it. But all the gobblety-guk is spread out - into 1 to 10 lines of code - in what seems like a thousand different pages. It makes me wonder if it can be any more efficient than it was, putting a whole bunch of code on one page.
I'm sure it is more efficient. Much more so. It's just making me feel like an out-dated old man. Alas, I suppose I am an old man, these days. It's going to be frustratingly hard to teach this old dog new tricks.
Well. Like I said. I really like oxwall. If it takes me another ten years, I'm gonna figure out how to manipulate this.

SNAP! This is the BIG problem with the whole FRAMEWORKS concept and the way Model Controller View has evolved.

There is no simpler and straightforward method than pure PHP if you ask me. It's easier to learn than most "Frameworks" and virtually ANYTHING is possible when coding PHP without ridiculous in-built hurdles that as Bobby says dozens of pages to create or change a simple function.

OWML hasn't even been published, the development documentation is really vague.

.. as singer Toyah Wilcox once sang #It's a Mystery! Oh it's a Mystery... #Too me ohhh

James Hart
James Hart Jun 27 '13
here is why having the profile picture change on the post is bad...  BECAUSE it looks like the "other" person actually POSTED it and not the original poster!  We live in a FB world where 1.11 BILLION people use FB and expect things to act a certain way.  Yes, I know oxwall is not FB.  But really?  It's like telling people to H for cold water and C for Hot water. Some things do not need to be reinvented.

See picture attached.  How can this be "designed" to look like this? How can this be thought to be normal?

In the attached photo, I posted the link, she liked it, and now everyone will think "she" posted it?  People would see the other person's profile picture and wouldn't know immediately it was connected to what I posted?

Attachments:
  Capture.GIF (19.03Kb)
James Hart
James Hart Jun 27 '13
and grief.. I was not on the last post of the thread. LOL!  Bobby apparently has a fix for this... will now read "page 2" of this thread...
James Hart
James Hart Jun 27 '13
Well, Bobby's fix seemed to work for me.  It was line 166 btw...  thanks!  I have not tested out the notifications yet.. as all my users have gone to sleep.
Mohammad
Mohammad Jan 16 '14
Someone did test the solution Bobby gave us on 1.6 ?

the line Bobby told has a little change

it's now look like this

$shouldExtend = $this->displayType == NEWSFEED_CMP_Feed::DISPLAY_TYPE_ACTIVITY && $lastActivity !== null;

Zenith
Zenith Jan 29 '14

Quote from Mohammad Someone did test the solution Bobby gave us on 1.6 ?

the line Bobby told has a little change

it's now look like this

$shouldExtend = $this->displayType == NEWSFEED_CMP_Feed::DISPLAY_TYPE_ACTIVITY && $lastActivity !== null;

Thanks Mohammad and Bobby, commenting out that line fixed this annoyance and made my site awesome.
It should be deleted from the earth lol
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Mar 5 '14
Great job guys. Truly impressive. I may turn this into a video tutorial. 
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Mar 6 '14
Everything and all the ideas are good but the bad thing is once we update to the latest oxwall we loose them :( I dont want after a year or so i end up with piles of saved mods for oxwall so that each time there a change i need to make more changes ....lol...Its like trying to fill a sink with water without the lid.
Daisy Team
Daisy Mar 10 '14
Webster, you might be interested in suggesting this idea at our suggest board: http://oxwall.uservoice.com/.
We keep adding essential features, so, if the majority of developers support it - we will consider adding it in one of the future updates.
Shaun
Shaun Feb 15 '16
Does this fix still work with version 1.8.1?
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 15 '16
yet another thing 3 years on and still not fixed
Pages: « 1 2 3 »