We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

I lost my admin user after the update. How I can manage my oxwall network now? | Forum

Jaime Pascual
Jaime Pascual Apr 7 '11
I lost my admin user after the update. How I can manage my oxwall network now?
Others users works fine.
Den Team
Den Apr 7 '11
Try to reset your password with forgot pass utility :)
Jaime Pascual
Jaime Pascual Apr 7 '11
Quote from Addenster
Try to reset your password with forgot pass utility :)

Don't work because the email administrator was lost
Den Team
Den Apr 7 '11
Sorry, what do you mean under email email administrator?
Jaime Pascual
Jaime Pascual Apr 7 '11
Sorry, I meant the administrator's email was remove. The administrator's account was remove. Forgot pass utility says : "Sorry, there is no user with that email"
Den Team
Den Apr 7 '11
It isn't so easy to remove admin account (only from db). Check in database that you really removed it. Or if it still there, look admn' email and reset pass to this email.
Jaime Pascual
Jaime Pascual Apr 7 '11
I try for 2 times and don't work. I will wait for auto update. Thanks
Jaime Pascual
Jaime Pascual Apr 8 '11
I have auto updated and it's the same. Reset pass not work.
The Forum post is edited by Jaime Pascual Apr 8 '11
Michael Leader
Michael Apr 9 '11
you can promote a user to ADMIN using the db.
If you have another account go into the database ow_base_user and change the ID of the "other" account to 1.
A bit of a crowbar method but if you have completely lost admin (somehow) you can make another one Admin that way. An old thing I did before oxwall allowed multiple admins!

Another thing, if you see an admin account there already with an ID of 1 if you have another account, copy the "password" string from the same db table and insert it into the admin password string. Now the admin password will be the same as the other account. Now try logging in using that.

I would be more worried that the account is not working! ALWAYS have more than 1 admin account! It can save the day!
Jaime Pascual
Jaime Pascual Apr 11 '11
Thank you Michael. I already find a solution. The problem was with autocomplete on google chrome. If I write my user and my password, work fine, but if I use the autocomplete option at google chrome or firefox does not work. If I copy-paste a link on link pluggin as the same, does not work. Sorry for my English.
David
David Nov 30 '11
THANK YOU MICHAEL!

I didn't realize that the hash for the password column would be the same. I assumed that is was salted, but I guess not.
Anyway - you saved me a lot of panic and time!
Michael Leader
Michael Dec 1 '11
Glad to help.
Mike Apple
Mike Apple May 30 '14
Hello, I'm having trouble with my admin account to log inside of the admin on my site and start putting in plugins again. I had a programmer insert some plugins. But Now the Admin password is not working anymore. I tried contacting him but no answer. My site already has launched. How can I get it reset. I also tried sending a forgot password reset to the email address on file. But no email was sent.

Thanks

ross Team
ross Jun 2 '14
Mike please read the posts above
Jennifer K. Taylor
Jennifer K. Taylor Jul 23 '14
We've had a difficult installation process thanks to the new WordPress setup with our website. Oxwall is linked through a page on our website. After spending two months getting the parameters settled, I cannot log into the admin section. No one has logged in since it was installed June 16th. 

I've tried to locate this database that Mike was referring to; however, I cannot find a single file in our file manager that has any users listed. If someone can help me find the right file, I can make those changes.

any help would be appreciated!

ross Team
ross Jul 24 '14
Jennifer, why exactly can't you login? Does it say invalid access details? why don't you use reset password?

Filemanager contains files only, user data is stored in the DB, please read Michael's reply more carefully: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/911?page=1#post-4076

Mat
Mat Jul 30 '15

Quote from undefined undefined
Thanks Micheal, worked like a charm!...and that was in 2011
Chris Bezuidenhout
Chris Bezuidenhout Jul 5 '17
An easy way is paste the next string in the password field in the database then the password will be "secret": d29661a4293bb3bfed74195e878ea71053caa0972e5a99d25729f4371e8caccb then you can log in and change it again.
Chris Bezuidenhout
Chris Bezuidenhout Jul 6 '17
But how do you reset a user password?