We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

What is needed! | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 13 '13
It would be a good idea to have an Oxwall plugin demo site, where plugins could be loaded up by Oxwall admin. So both Oxwall and Oxwall clients can assess each one. Then when problems are found experience plugin developers can advise the plugin developer on how to solve the problem.

This also would mean that clashes with other plugins could be resolve and after the testing the plugins they can be placed in the store. Those that have not been demonstrated and tested or fail testing be taken out of the store.     
Joseph Simon
Joseph Simon Apr 13 '13
+1000
suresh kumar
suresh kumar Apr 14 '13
I also accept this suggestion
DavidZenry
DavidZenry Apr 15 '13
Great idea, have you posted a suggestion in the Oxwall user voice? http://oxwall.uservoice.org
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 15 '13
I never do David topics like this are read by Emil and some of the Software engineers. So there is no need really. I just let them get on with it. I given many idea that is picked up by admin all this hey directed it for consideration, is something I am totally against. It not how it was done in the past. I have much proof that many of my Ideas are picked up and used. Such as the required question thing that stops auto bot spam dead. Its used here now to stop the bots, lol

I am non conventional Emil knows this and watches what I say and do. lol

So please don't worry if the ideas is considered a good one Oxwall will react, if Emil stamps his foot then it will be totally ignored where ever I post it. Thats what us software engineers and analyst do. lol         
The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 15 '13
crb
crb Apr 15 '13

Too bad it has to be managed ! Developer got new plugin > Got to be tested on the Demo site. > Installing plugin

So the demo server probably takes up an FTE to get new plugins /themes on it.

Isn't there an option in the oxwall store to give a month trial ? 

Good idear but needs resources to get it running. Better to let them spend time to mobile site development ;)

The Forum post is edited by crb Apr 15 '13
Ibrahim
Ibrahim Apr 15 '13
It might be interesting to look at the situation of other free and open source systems. As of today's date at 17.24 (Finnish time) wordpress.org has registered 24,497 plugins.  Is it possible to install of these plugins on a single installation of wordpress? Can conflict among plugins be prevented? I am a non-developer & non-webmaster person, so I can't answer the first question but for the second, based on my experience, one cannot prevent conflict among plugins because of different implementations by various developers.

In my opinion, Oxwall software should set up a rigorous editorial team like concrete5.org to make sure that all third party plugins and themes meet fully Oxwall standards.

DavidZenry
DavidZenry Apr 15 '13
Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a Plugin that allows you to easily "Create a Plugin?"

A "Create Plugin - Plugin!"....
Bob (Coder Whacker)
 One guy is already designing the mobile site development as we talk should take about 5 to 6 months for completion. There is a definite need to improve the quality of plugins in the Oxwall store it does not take a software engineer to run a demo site, nor in fact test plugins. Its certainly not a waste of time as many people get frustrated over the present problems.    
Bob (Coder Whacker)

Quote from Ibrahim Favada In my opinion, Oxwall software should set up a rigorous editorial team like concrete5.org to make sure that all third party plugins and themes meet fully Oxwall standards.
There really needs to be something set up. 
DavidZenry
DavidZenry Apr 15 '13
Agreed. I refuse to pay $28 dollars for a Mobile Plugin that most people say doesn't even work.

The existing Oxwall site core could be made a lot more accessible for mobiles very easily too.

For example in the Mailbox there is no "Send" button, you need a Keyboard to press enter. My users find this very annoying when they are restricted to accessing the site by Mobiles only.

The settings toolbar in the top right-hand corner of the screen is too small on mobiles, unless you have good eyesight (or you put links on the dashboard/navigation to the user settings) it's impossible to even login.
Joseph Simon
Joseph Simon Apr 16 '13
The should develop a mobile app like Wechat or Line...I was looking for some advertisers for my site so i could buy a dedicated server myself as well as ask the app geezer guys to make an universal mobile app for all of us in oxwall..
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 17 '13
Joseph your totally off topic with a red herring you need a plugin design well this is not the place to ask. Did you really read the  the topic. Extremity rude in my opinion! But this is what it said. 

t would be a good idea to have an Oxwall plugin demo site, where plugins could be loaded up by Oxwall admin. So both Oxwall and Oxwall clients can assess each one. Then when problems are found experience plugin developers can advise the plugin developer on how to solve the problem.

This also would mean that clashes with other plugins could be resolve and after the testing the plugins they can be placed in the store. Those that have not been demonstrated and tested or fail testing be taken out of the store.     

The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 17 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)
lets keep this topic online its bad manners not to do so in my opinion
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Hope you reading this Emil
DavidZenry
DavidZenry Apr 17 '13

Quote from Ibrahim Favada Can conflict among plugins be prevented? I am a non-developer & non-webmaster person, so I can't answer the first question but for the second, based on my experience, one cannot prevent conflict among plugins because of different implementations by various developers.

If you've ever tried Drupal which has 2,1426 Modules and they have dependent modules so you often need to install quite an extensive number to to get one new feature to work, and then there are lots of conflicts which can destroy everything. Nightmare!!
Modern
Modern Apr 24 '13
I am not a techie in any way, my profession is strategic business, marketing and customer care.  From those perspective, it is the duty of Oxwall to have a demo site that has every one of its plugins up and running.  Then when a developer develops a new plugin, s/he should test it on that site both in IE and in Firefox and other browsers to make sure that it is working one hundred percent before presenting it to the customer for sale.  There is nothing worse for a companies reputation and future business, than a customer who feels rightfully or wrongfully that he has been ripped off with a product that does not work straight out of the box.  The fact that Oxwall's developers are independent does not detract from this basic principle.  Each and every developer can either add to or detract from the Oxwall brand name and therefore have a direct affect the reputation of all developers.  In my experience, dealing with IT companies, a major marketing mistake is trying to beat competition by putting products onto the market before they are fully functional in the hope of identifying and solving problems reported by customers.  Using customers as unwitting product testers is a very bad strategy for any company let alone IT companies and can spell the death of what would have been a really good product. I hope my advice on this subject is informative and helpful and is taken in the good spirit that it has been given.
Kind regards
Stephan Toth

Oh. by the way, my credit lottery plugin is still giving me this error even though I cleared my cookie catch and history and made sure it was enabled. 

The page isn't redirecting properly        
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.
Do I uninstall and abandon it or can you guys sort it out?
Modern
Modern Apr 24 '13
Oh, I know this is probably obvious, you should take plugins off of the template site that are not working one hundred percent so that other developers adding and testing their plugins are not running into problems caused by other developers work in progress.  Only leave one hundred percent compatible plugins that are working properly on the site.  Also, developers could leave a message on the sites shout box or wall saying that they are testing their product between certain times so that other developers can wait their turn and not run into conflict problems.
Modern
Modern Apr 24 '13
An example:-
Developer Name will be testing XYZ plugin between 10:00 and 11:00 24 April 2013

At this point the plugin could be left on the site if it is working properly and removed if it is not.

Developer Name, plugin name is working ok (left on site) - plugin has been removed from site   - site is/is not stable, site is/is not free 10:55 24 April 2013
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 24 '13

Quote from Modern Using customers as unwitting product testers is a very bad strategy for any company let alone IT companies and can spell the death of what would have been a really good product.

Very good point

Quote from Modern Oh. by the way, my credit lottery plugin is still giving me this error even though I cleared my cookie catch and history and made sure it was enabled. The page isn't redirecting properly Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete. This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies. Do I uninstall and abandon it or can you guys sort it out?

I complained about this problem my self and got a very rude answer from Paul Cuffe by PM here as follows. 

"Thanks for the zero support at all, its not like i wrote TONS of good software for free for oxwall and only like 5 i did charge for and even then so little cost that it would never pay for the hours i spent coding. anyway thanks for acting like your "great", i would like to see you and Jobee write oxwall software and see all you have to do re testing, then oxwall team testing and then to have nasty little people write up nothing by hateful fuel rubbish that is not only directed at me but people who reviewed my software like Owdesign.net (they posted the review for the lotto plugin btw) and Jobee wishes to say I am them? lol he has lost it somwhere but anyway, thanks for all NOT"

Seemingly he thinks there is not problems with the lottery plugin, being damn arrogant about it all. Not very professional in my opinion and needs Oxwall to have a bloody good talk with him in my opinion. 

My client has junked it and is totally annoyed at Paul's arrogance. 

The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 24 '13
Pages: 1 2 »