We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

20 USD DEDICATED SERVER POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Forum

Joseph Simon
Joseph Simon Apr 13 '13
I am recently  thinking to move to a dedicated server ,but dedicated servers all pretty expensive even the cheapest barebone type is 105 USD permonth so a year 105x12=1260 USD.This is for a year and every year you have to pay for it.Imagine a life span of server is just 5 year when it is replaced with a bigger and better ones.so 1260 x 5=6300 USD for 5 years.So why not buy a server rather than paying a hefty sum to hosting companies.I live in China and i can get some good configs for an dirt cheap price .like
Dual Xeon 5520 2.26 GHz Quad Core Dual  6 GB RAM dirt cheap.
This one cost about 535 usd per month  in arvixe

so instead of paying them why not we buy this stuff and hire someone to set it up for us?we will save a lot of money + we get  a high speed website.If someone have a similar thought like me find me in skype at tallbeecare.I am looking for partners who is having similar interest to have their own dedicated server.I did a rough calculations based on my available data.I think a dedicated server of this can be done for 20 -30 usd a month ,if more people can join ,then price can be bought even cheaper like 8-10 USD per month on hardware and maintenance itself
Anyway comments and thoughts will be appreciated.
The Forum post is edited by Joseph Simon Apr 13 '13
Joseph Simon
Joseph Simon Apr 14 '13

Quote from Paul Cuffe Hello,

Have you tried to do a VPS? its half way between shared hosting and a dedicated server, and you are right they do cost aton, plus you have to manage it yourself, a lot of companies will charge you for management

VPS is alot cheeper and can be very powerful setup too.

But VPS configuration sucks and price according to that.I also came to know besocialhosting was set up by you?Do you mind helping me choose some good hardware?In my mind i am thinking of Dual Core I5 3rd Gen with 32 GB RAM. with 1 TB hard disk and 1 TB hard disk BACK UP.
Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Apr 14 '13
 I am also thinking about going to a VPS by the end of this year. Maybe we can co-operate.   You have a great suggestion. I live in China too. I have added you on skype. Let's see what we can do.
suresh kumar
suresh kumar Apr 14 '13
I am too interested in this.
But do you think it would be possible in the long run?
Joseph Simon
Joseph Simon Apr 15 '13
Quote from suresh kumar I am too interested in this.
But do you think it would be possible in the long run?

yes ,i am saying this for a long run....
Joseph Simon
Joseph Simon Apr 15 '13
Quote from Paul Cuffe Hello,

BeSocialHost is mine yes and I am happy to help you pick hardware specs

how big / active is your website? as it will help with specs
currently about 35,000 -40,000 visits a month and increasing .What was the speed of the internet where you placed the social host server?