We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Concerns over Luxury Vinyl Click flooring - advice? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
idayrare corded
Hi guys,

We were looking to use the wood effect LTV-click flooring for our kitchen/hallway as this is supposed to have many of the benefits of laminate with the additional upside that it's waterproof (or resistant) so we can mop it without worrying about the edges lifting which is a concern with laminate and engineered laminate floors (we have two cats which constantly leave muddy paw prints and often bring in dead animals as gifts, so I imagine it'll be mopped a lot and my wife is always a bit heavy on the water).

Looking at LVT floor over the weekend I noticed quite a few very negative reviews. Lots of people have complained the tiles are cracking or have broken along the joints (after fitting). Worrying because it's certainly not a cheap option. The one I was looking at is here: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Novocore-Warm-Oak-Luxury-Vinyl-Click-Flooring---2-56m2-Pack/p/222006

One person recommends laying a thin plywood subfloor layer before putting this stuff down, to further ensure the surface is very flat thus avoiding issues with the joints splitting. I guess it's glued down with something like gripfill? I wouldn't be against doing this if it avoids future issues with the floor - it would also give a bit of additional insulation as the recommended underlay for this floor is a very thin 1mm board unlike the thicker foam laminate underlays.

Are the usually issues with cracking/splitting typical for this type of LVT flooring or is this either a bad product (so find one from another supplier) or perhaps an expected result of bad prep before fitting? Maybe a different type of laminate flooring would be better suited - I'm just worried about water resistance?

Any experience/advice?

Justin.

P.s. in terms of the foundation for the floor as someone will probably ask...

Existing floor in the kitchen is a couple of layers of old tile (probably asbestos type). There was a 4-5mm depression in one area where the original kitchen and an old extension join - I guess due to settlement etc. I have filled and levelled that off with levelling compound while fitting the kitchen. There are still a few areas with small (~1mm) dips but I found it incredibly difficult to try to level these out with compound as they are small so the amount material filling the void is not substantial enough to hold together.

The hallway has similar ancient tiles under the old carpet. Level looks to be ~6mm below the current kitchen floor level. I did plan to use a bag of levelling compound to transition but to do a proper job as the hall is not that large I will probably drop 3 bags there and bring the whole hall up to more or less level.
Rajesh Rajpo
Rajesh Rajpo Jul 5
I was going to fit LTV in our kitchen last year but readding the reviews and seeing my friends floor open up along the joins put me right off it, he had self levelled the floor flatter than a snooker table but it still opened up so I put vinyl down instead, I would have used gerfloor as we have that in the living room and hall but I cant find the old pattern these days.

Even on a totally perfect level floor LTV seems to give problems, there enough bad reviews of it, I suppose all you can do it try it over a ply subfloor, I doubt its glued down as its designed to float so it can expand and contract but you would have to get the ply to lay without the smallest dip anywhere, not an easy task.
Olli Stor
Olli Stor Jul 5
Considering your existing floor conditions with old tiles and leveling challenges, your idea of adding a plywood subfloor sounds smart. It can definitely help ensure a flat surface and reduce the risk of cracking along the joints. As for the underlay, opting for something thicker than the standard 1mm board might provide better insulation and soundproofing.
In terms of water resistance, LVT should generally perform better than laminate, especially with proper sealing of the edges. Using a good quality gripfill adhesive could further enhance its durability.
I'm actually in a similar boat—I'm renovating my place and also considering Vinyl flooring material. I found some options on durawall.com.sg. It seems like a practical choice given its durability and ease of maintenance, which is perfect for busy households with pets.
Micaeljames
Micaeljames Jul 13

Choosing professional wood flooring services offers numerous benefits for homeowners and businesses alike. Firstly, professionals bring expertise and experience, ensuring precise installation and minimizing the risk of costly mistakes. They have access to high-quality materials and advanced tools, guaranteeing a flawless finish that enhances the aesthetic appeal and value of your space. Additionally, professional services often include warranties and maintenance plans, providing peace of mind and long-term protection for your investment. By hiring experts, you save time and effort, as they handle every aspect of the project efficiently. Ultimately, professional wood flooring services ensure a durable, beautiful, and expertly crafted floor that stands the test of time, transforming any space into a stylish and inviting environment.

The Forum post is edited by Micaeljames Jul 13