We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Setting profile picture from url upon signup | Forum

Exaspian Studios
Exaspian Studios Apr 27 '13
Hey guys I need a bit of help on this one. For starters upon sign up I need users to be able to: A. Choose between uploading an avatar and typing in their username and having a code of mine get their profile picture from their account.

Right now I'm trying to allow my site to get someone's minecraft head and set it as the default picture if they choose not to upload a picture. For instance if they set their username to "USERNAME1" and don't upload a profile picture I would like their default profile picture to be the head of their skin. I have the code to get the head, but I don't know how to apply it correctly or where to apply it? Dev mode is obviously enabled but I'm completely stumped on this one.

ANY help is appreciated.

Daisy Team
Daisy May 3 '13
As far as I've understood you want to implement the service like 'Gavatar', am I right? If so, it requires a new plugin development. If I took you wrong, please provide me with more details on how this should work.
Exaspian Studios
Exaspian Studios May 3 '13
Basically I have a code to extract an image from a given name. For example let's say the user inputs "bob" as their username. My code would get the image "www.domainname.com/images/bob.png" and what I need it to do is to (if they don't upload a profile picture during sigh) set that to their profile image, rather than the default profile picture. 

Thanks for your interest, nearly lost hope on this topic. 

-Liam

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Gravatar is already in store. And this is not a big deal when to make it as a plugin.
Exaspian Studios
In other words I should just copy the Gravatar plugin and edit it's code?

EDIT: Looking over the plugin it seems as if it would be somewhat difficult to edit, judging by the fact that I A. Don't actually have a paypal account to purchase it and B. The plugin actually does nearly the opposite of what I need. I need a service that sets the users profile picture from a url upon sign up. I could maybe add a feature to the sign in page that allows them to download their generated picture but I would like to know if I can have this done automatically.

The Forum post is edited by Exaspian Studios May 3 '13
Daisy Team
Daisy May 3 '13
Thank you for the detailed explanation. In this case you should develop your own plugin, that will grab the username and according to it add the specific avatar.

Exaspian Studios
Quote from Daisy Thank you for the detailed explanation. In this case you should develop your own plugin, that will grab the username and according to it add the specific avatar.

Ahh okay. Thank you for your time!