We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Serious bug with plugin updates that locks you out of plugins. | Forum

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 28 '13
If there is ever a problem with a plugin update and it fails then you will be locked out of all of your plugins with no way to delete the problem update file.

There is no yes or no prompt only the option to update plugin or not.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 28 '13
This is way worse than I thought!! My site is also stuck in maintenance mode.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 28 '13
Sorry, even worse than that!  I am locked out of the admin dashboard.  All I have is the option to try and update the plugin which always fails.

This is an outrageous defect!!!

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 28 '13
I don't want to embarrass the author.  Part of the error might have been mine because I did not realize that it was an update.   

But regardless of that, this exposed a serious defect in Oxwall.  I now am locked into maintenance mode and no access to the admin dashboard.  Apparently any problem with a plugin update locks the site down.

I get the message The source code of 'Oxwall XXXXX XXXXX' plugin was updated. Need to update plugin DB.

Then I get

Message:There is no active plugin with key `XXXXX`File:/home/biblfolk/public_html/biblefolk.com/ow_core/plugin_manager.phpLine:85Trace:#0 /home/XXXXXX/public_html/XXXXXX.com/ow_plugins/XXXXXX/update/2/update.php(54): OW_PluginManager->getPlugin('XXXXXX')#1 /home/XXXXXX/public_html/XXXXXX.com/ow_updates/index.php(168): include('/home/XXXXXX/...')#2 {main}Type:InvalidArgumentException

Can I just delete the plugin dir from the plugins folder to get rid of this?

The Forum post is edited by Steve Winter Apr 28 '13
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 28 '13
I have several purchased plugins.
MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Apr 28 '13
Steve Winter try this. Clear all Browser cache, and cookies and then try to login.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 28 '13
Thank you all.  I fixed the problem with a clue from the developer.  I had misunderstood the procedure and had deactivated the plugin.  I went into the database and made the plugin active and the plugin DB update was able to complete.

HOWEVER, this little mistake of mine has exposed a SERIOUS DEFECT in Oxwall.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
My assumption made Steve to do something and made him to discover something else :)

My bad that I did not give him proper instructions on how to upgrade the plugin.
Alia Team
Alia Apr 30 '13
Steve,  thanks for sharing your experience.

In your case, you were not able to log in as site admin even after using the URL given on maintenance page ?

Unfortunately, Oxwall' platform doesn't have control over plugins and we can't predict all possible errors. Therefore fixing issue via control panel/database is the only solution in situations like yours.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 30 '13
I could log in as admin but I could not do anything in the admin area other than update the plugin DB which would always fail because I had that particular plugin disabled.  I could not get in to fix it or to take the site out of maintenance mode.

The bug is with how Oxwall handles plugins or more specifically plugin updates.