We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

List of Plugin conflicts | Forum

Shaun
Shaun May 1 '13
Hi everyone, I have a few plugins and have been lucky to avoid buying plugins that cause issues with each other however it's probbably just a matter of time before I do and was wondering if anyone had compiled a list of plugins that won't work together.

Oxwall it would really be a good thing to make developers list plugins that cannot be used together. Especially if they charging a fee for the plugins.

Just my thoughts and not a complaint because I love Oxwall.
The Forum post is edited by Shaun May 1 '13
Steve Winter
Steve Winter May 1 '13
I second that emotion.
Abbey
Abbey May 1 '13
I got the Country Flag Extreme plugin and it stuffed up my profile questions. (even with the "special" fix I was given.
I recently found that the Send Credit and Credit History plugin caused the issue in 1.5.3 with cron and emails
I got the Share This plugin and it didn't work with my cometchat bar as the bar sat over it and covered it.
That's it I think.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Shaun,

It's not about complaining. As a developer, I welcome such posts. Different plugins use different kinds of scripts and jquey snippets. So such information will help developers to find and fix if they really exists.

Quote from Abbey Jayne I recently found that the Send Credit and Credit History plugin caused the issue in 1.5.3 with cron and emails

If you are saying about my plugin, there is no such issues reported. If you have any information please do share.

Chelsea
Chelsea May 3 '13
Good idea...
Can we get a list of such plugins?
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Generally, I mention the conflicts(if any) in my plugin description.
Den Team
Den May 3 '13

This isn't a trivial task. Storing and updating the list for whole plugins from different developers... is it really possible in practice? 

Let's take deeper the reasons of conflicts. I guess there are two major kinds:

- Obvious: buying plugins with the same functionality will cause to conflicts like installing two different IMs. 

- HIdden: the plugin's functionality partially crosses another one . is it reasonable to leave it on  developer's own to solve this. As plugin compatible with more another plugins, as more users will install it. 

What do you think? 

Purusothaman Ramanujam
+1 for Den.
Shaun
Shaun May 3 '13
I don't see why developers will be left on their own. Where conflicts are identified surely its in the developers best intrest to work together and collaborate on a solution, especially if they are. Charging money for their work.

My only issue with the current system is that you pay your money then find out that there is problem instead of reading about it first and making an informed decision before buying.

I recently purchased the profile cover picture plugin and had to remove the profile clicker plugin and extre flag plugin. Its okay because the developer says on the shop page they were incompatible and i knew before buying.

Thats all im sugesting.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Shaun,

You are suggestion is a valid one. I am sure that I am following that for long time.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter May 3 '13
It would be in a plugin developer's best interest to maintain other plugins and test for compatibility. Legitimate plugin developers might want to provide each other with copies of their plugins for testing.  That opens a thought about Oxwall having a list of trusted plugin authors or a "tested and approved" mark for plugins.

Since plugins are so integral to Oxwall it might be in Oxwall's best interest to have a list of officially approved plugins or something like that.

Regards,

Steve

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Steve,

In some cases, one plugin has to override other plugin as Oxwall itself does not provide a function or events to use. That's where most conflicts come. If Oxwall provides design changes for that, there will not be any conflicts.