We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

New Features Requests | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Ahmed
Ahmed Apr 26 '11
These are 5 new features Everybody Waiting Them to be improved on oxwall :

1 General
Iprove profile albums
IPv6
Improve Messages and Inbox
Networks, Groups, and Like Pages
Ipmrove News Feed
live Notifications
Phone
Smartphones
improve Status Updates with smilies and colors
Usernames ( exemple: www.site.com/username )
improve Wall
Questions (like formspring and facebook )

2 Applications
Events ( improve them bcz they are boring )
Marketplace
Notes
Places
Platform
improve Photos ( uploading & viewing )
improve Videos ( uploading & viewing )

3 Languages

4 Former features
FBML
Lite

5 References
The Forum post is edited by Ahmed Apr 26 '11
Veronica
Veronica Apr 26 '11
Yes we agree from our community too
Most functions in Oxwall needs big improvements or even rethinking and redesign
We had a preview of Oxwall by our members and nobody voted for using Oxwall in the current version
Ahmed Khlifi
Ahmed Khlifi Apr 29 '11
improve chat with smileys too please :)
Maxwell
Maxwell May 2 '11
You didn't even put a good one to be updated and worked on. It's kind of funny how everyone wants a bunch of really dumb (in my opinion smileys are the least of this social networking underdog's problems), I think a big concern I had would be forums in forums, like why not right? That would be cool.

With the comment and like features why not dislike? Facebook doesn't have a dislike. So if you like something you can't change your mind either you dislike or like and comment or don't comment. Pretty simple.

Another big thing I see ahead is groups and their privacy. I started a group and could not make it private. I made an admin group so we could sit around the round table and talk amongst our selves but nope anyone can wander right in.

The chat deal is not a big concern in my book, you want something done. You're going to figure it out and you're going to eventually make it work.

I think that a social networking site is based off of an awesome foundation kind of like twitter and then it keeps getting better without regressing. But if we spend all this time hankering about how many smileys we didn't get and blah blah blah about smileys.

I would be peachy keen with a forum in a forum.

I think it would be neat.
Brooklyn Sweet
Brooklyn Sweet May 2 '11
I agree with Maxwell smileys are pretty useless right now!! more privacy features should be worried about before smiley's I am sure people wont hate your site cause you don't have smileys Facebook didn't have smileys till recently. and why a dislike button? to be mean and rude? if you cant say anything nice then don't say it or press dislike
Maxwell
Maxwell May 2 '11
Pretty much one of my friends on my site suggested it. Youtube has it and so do some other sites. But yeah, lets say someone is being lame (i was thinking about not allowing users except admin to delete comments just to see what happened) and then they can just see how lame they are. How much their comment didn't mean to anyone.

I personally am still trying to get this whole everyone is online/cron job thing under control. I tried and didn't entirely grasp it.

I chose Oxwall for a couple reasons: It's free and open source, it's not BoonEx, it's simple and easy to configure (this is my first successful site ever), it has everything except a few minor inconveniences. I just have to understand how to customize it to my needs and my sites needs.

My site is gotabowl.com

I would like to see something simple like I said stabilized from the ground up. If everyone gets really concerned about the chat plugin then so be it. Like someone who said that he needs to have his chat thing to work with Oxwall and if it doesn't then he just won't use Oxwall. I think that it's all about taking the shortest path to where you want to go now for some people. Kind of like well I'll find something free that works and then I'll jimmie rig it until it works (kinda).

I would rather have something that I know works and is reliable. Kind of like a car or a razor. I need something that is stabilized to the point where it can handle a butt load of people. I know it's stability and I've only been using it for a small amount of time. As much a noob as I am.

Here would be my list if I had a list of stuff to update in no particular order(lol):

# Forum inside of a forum
# Maybe a left sidebar as well as a right sidebar (more space) both sidebars, turn sidebars on/off
# Privacy settings kind of like any other social networking site
# Make profile private (shows the minimal info and is not searchable)
# Users able to make their activity not appear on the Main page.
# Much better facebook/oxwall doumentation
# A pdf that explains some simple installation how to's for plugins, core, themes, cron jobs, overview of the interface of the admin area(not too detailed but enough for a noob)
# Upload music mp3/wav at least kinda like a photo album but music/audio
# A Wiki of any sort
# A dilike/like/comment update, disable: dislike, like, comment (what if some people don't want it. (sometimes I'm just like hmmmmm what was the intended purpose for this plugin/page/naming convention and I have to find a use for it and then rename it)
# make age/birthday into one question, it's a date anyway why not get two answers out of it instead of just one
# A simple calender for events
# A lightweight chat kinda like facebook, really simple and basic, nothing fancy
# Able to pick non web safe colors for site colors and moderator badges

Maxwell
Maxwell May 3 '11
Some more super awesome (features or whatever you want to call them) ideas.

# On the Wall have a button placement on your wall similar to facebook where you can quickly post a photo, link, event with the option for it to not be in their photo album.
#
Crystal
Crystal May 8 '11
For me the first priority is privacy settings for members.
Maxwell
Maxwell May 8 '11
Well yeah it needs some tinkering but lets give the dudes some time to tinker. I'm also trying to set up a site @ moarpronnao.com
Ahmed Khlifi
Ahmed Khlifi May 9 '11
is there any ability for new videos plugin
i mean like youtube
i wanna turn my search network to chat newfeed and videos like utube too
i wish u understand it
like i wanna mingle btw utube and fb
:)
it would be perfect
Emil Team
Emil May 12 '11
Topic was moved from Oxwall.org.
Timothy Treadwell
Timothy Treadwell Aug 23 '23
That's great features. I can learn lots of things here papa's pizzeria game.