We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Grassroots Old House/Homestead? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Alex Marks
Alex Marks Sep 25

Long story short - looks like I'm going to be the next caretaker of the family farm. House built in 1870s (if memory serves), added-on to at least half a dozen times, with lots of deferred maintenance and band-aid fixes along the way. House sits on about 7 acres, with two large barns and half a dozen smaller outbuildings. Just shy of 300 acres of farm ground attached, but not immediately my responsibility. 

I equate this property to Everest.

I want to know Everest exists and is still being climbed (as does the entire extended family), and have been keenly aware that somebody is going to have to climb it, but was really hoping it would be somebody else and now I'm standing at the hill below Base Camp staring up at this absolutely monumental undertaking and trying to comprehend how to get started and simultaneously muster the enthusiasm to get started necessary to break my stupor. 

Any recommendations for lighthearted DIY-minded old house forums a la GRM? Or vlogs? Or anything?

Sonia Ellison
Sonia Ellison Sep 25
I owned a house that was built in 1871 for about 13 years. Fortunately it had been updated & remodeled by the time I got it, but here would be my suggested approach.
 ​​​​​​

Get the foundation sorted & solid. You may not have to redo the whole thing, but it's worth getting it right before you do anything else.

Sort out the electrical. Since it could potentially burn the whole place to the ground and/or kill you & your family it's worth doing this right too.

Sort out the plumbing, or at least the parts that won't be easy to access later.

Windows - do whatever you can to prevent air leaks, up to replacing the windows if needed.

Insulation - don't skimp at all, the more insulation you can install, the more it will pay for its self.

Roof - repair or replace as needed.

Remodel/updates - this is completely up to you & your budget/desires. It could be kitchen/bath, flooring, redoing the interior walls/doors, and/or exterior siding/paint.

Gigantic garage or pole barn - hey, it's GRM after all.
Jesse Hiserp
Jesse Hiserp Sep 25
The old house and homestead vibe. It’s like stepping back in time. They have some neat stuff for maintaining and reviving old homes and homesteads.  If you’re into grassroots, you might want to check out https://www.scottsofthrapston.co.uk/equestrian-buildings-accessories/ .  It’s not just about fixing things up but also about preserving that old-world charm. They’re pretty good with advice and tools to make your project easier. Plus, they might have some ideas that aren’t on your radar yet.
Alannah Falleni
If you're looking for Snap Fitness Pueblo West details, head over to thefitnesssecrets.com! They provide all the information you need about Snap Fitness locations, hours, and membership options, helping you stay on top of your fitness game.
codasa hik
codasa hik Yesterday, 01:46PM
The concept of a "Grassroots Old House/Homestead" embodies the spirit of preserving and revitalizing historic homes while fostering community connections. These initiatives often emphasize sustainable living, restoration techniques, and DIY projects that breathe new life into aging structures. Enthusiasts and homeowners alike can benefit from the wealth of resources available, including expert services for renovations and improvements. For those looking to enhance their historic properties, resources like https://www.pittsburghbathroomremodel.com offer specialized guidance to maintain the charm of these old houses while modernizing essential features. Embracing the grassroots movement not only honors the past but also encourages a sense of belonging and collaboration among neighbors