We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

HOW TO INCREASE THE UPLOAD FILE SIZE LIMIT | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
asif ullah
asif ullah May 20 '13
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO INCREASE THE UPLOAD FILE SIZE LIMIT
dave Leader
dave May 20 '13

It depends on what type of upload your trying to increase.  For photos go to admin panel  and go to settings -> usersettings -> content input and you can adjust the photo upload there.

If you have a video upload plugin, check the settings on that plugin, i dont have one but that is a good start.  This also goes for the forum check plugin settings.

Otherwise you can adjust the max upload attribute of the server in two ways.

In htaccess add the following;  this will take care of the post size and upload size, change the 174 to whatever you want.

php_value post_max_size 174M
php_value upload_max_filesize 174M

Or you can change it in your php ini file   (sometimes this works sometimes it does not depending on the server set up) (if not your htaccess in combo with this will work)

in your php ini put this, again change the 174 to whatever you like

upload_max_filesize = 174M
post_max_size = 174M

in both cases make sure it does not already exist in either file before adding either

Also please at least attempt a search as this has been discussed many times.  

Hope this helps you... happy coding :)

The Forum post is edited by dave May 20 '13
asif ullah
asif ullah May 20 '13
can you suggest me where to find the php ini file
dave Leader
dave May 20 '13
it should be listed in your root domain, each domain can have its own but usually there is only one and its in the root,  check cPanel  file manager (if you use cPanel)
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Sep 13 '14
Nope,, I use Arvixe and I see no php.ini, when I create one though and upload it I load the site and get this warning...

Fatal error: Class 'PDO' not found in /home/krunch/public_html/ow_core/database.php on line 195
tammy harris
tammy harris Sep 13 '14
Ask hosting to increase it
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Sep 14 '14
Made my own php.ini, found out the Fatal error was coming from php version, upgraded and solved, so from 2Mb to a now 2048Mb, all set...

upload_max_filesize = 2048M
post_max_size = 2048M
The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн Sep 14 '14
allyn
allyn Sep 20 '14
I have the same exact problem on Arvixe.  Can you tell me exactly how you solved it?
tammy harris
tammy harris Sep 20 '14

Quote from Tammy Ask hosting to increase it

B
B Sep 21 '14

Quote from allyn I have the same exact problem on Arvixe.  Can you tell me exactly how you solved it?

I was having the same problem on Arvixe. Realized I was still using the default PHP 5.3. In your CPanel, go to PHP Selector under Software/Service. Wherever your install is click that folder and update to PHP 5.5. If you have an old PHP.ini in your root folder (/home/yourname/) you will need to make sure to delete it because it will still be reading from your old install of PHP. Once that's done, refresh your website.

Hope this works for you as well.
The Forum post is edited by B Sep 21 '14
allyn
allyn Sep 21 '14
Ok, I finally got it to work.  This is probably specific to Arvixe.  I had to go to cPanel and go to ntPHPselector.  I couldn't even find that at first because I was using cPanel's paper_lantern theme.  It turns out that many selections are not available in the paper_lantern theme at all!  Don't use it!

I can't tell you exactly what I did.  I changed to PHP 5.5 through ntPHPselector and then copied the php.ini file to my public_html and changed the limits.

But I also tried going back to PHP 5.3 and for no obvious reason that started working too (now showed 512MB upload limits, not the 2MB limits it was showing before).

I think I'll stick with PHP 5.5 just because it is newer.
The Forum post is edited by allyn Sep 21 '14
ross Team
ross Sep 21 '14
Thanks for letting us know that you have resolved your problem. 
dave Leader
dave Sep 22 '14
allyn just remember that since you are on php 5.5 now, if you have any older scripts that are built on the mysql library they probably will no longer function, and will have to be upgraded to the MySQLi library before they will function again.   Oxwall is fine because they use PDO.   :)
allyn
allyn Sep 22 '14
Good to know dave.  I personally only have oxwall on the system.